The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Financial hardship and Amateur radio  (Read 2385 times)
SOFAR

Ignore
« on: April 03, 2019, 05:33:29 AM »

Out of several interests/hobbies I have, Amateur radio operators are the only ones that continually cry poor.

They feel compelled to list the cost of their phone service, other bills. Who else does that?

I find quality gear to be reasonably priced. Seems some people live in a time-warp, when it comes to finances.

China is not going to produce a cheap(er) HF rig, give it up already. Not happening.

NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 10:25:11 AM »

I don't find h.f. rigs to be overpriced.  They're more affordable today than ever before. You're also getting a high quality product that will last for years. The same can't be said for cell phones. They're way overpriced, and good luck on them lasting any length of time. Sure there are alternatives, if you don't mind squinting at a tiny screen and not having data service. And needing a magnifying glass. Younger people don't complain because they've never known any better. Landlines used to be affordable, you only paid for what you used. Not over $100 for just having phone service. Even if you never use it.
K5DH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 10:35:45 AM »

The sad thing is that amateur radio doesn't have to be expensive.  There are plenty of ways to get a signal on the air for very little money.  There seems to be this brainwashed belief that if you don't have the newest and coolest high-dollar super ultra mega rig and stacked monoband beam antennas at 120 feet, then you won't make any contacts.  In my mind, nothing could be farther from the truth, but I guess it ultimately depends on your expectations.  If your heart's desire is to find your call sign at the top of the DXCC Honor Roll, then you're probably going to have to spend some serious coin.  If you just want to get on the air and chew the fat with other amateurs, you can build a decent station for less than $300.  Your rig will be of the older persuasion, and you'll have to do some scrounging and build your own antenna.  But it can be done, and is done all the time.  Your Elmer can help you with that.  What?  You don't have an Elmer?  There's your trouble.  Go find one!  
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 11:19:33 AM »

I don't find h.f. rigs to be overpriced.  They're more affordable today than ever before. You're also getting a high quality product that will last for years. The same can't be said for cell phones. They're way overpriced, and good luck on them lasting any length of time. Sure there are alternatives, if you don't mind squinting at a tiny screen and not having data service. And needing a magnifying glass. Younger people don't complain because they've never known any better. Landlines used to be affordable, you only paid for what you used. Not over $100 for just having phone service. Even if you never use it.

I have 2 phones (2 different numbers), on AT&T towers for $50 a month.

Android with unlimited talk and text, 4GB of data $35 a month, bring your own phone.
Flip phone, pay $30 every 60 days, 10 cents a min, unused mins carry over.

With all the competition, and MVNOs there's plenty of options for the individual user.

Landline used to charge long distance for calling a nearby suburb. There's no domestic long distance charge on cell service .

My point was, why would someone bring up their monthly bills?
Adults pay for their basic needs, we already know this. How is it hobby related?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 11:21:43 AM by SOFAR » Logged
KX4QP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 03:50:22 PM »

The sad thing is that amateur radio doesn't have to be expensive.  There are plenty of ways to get a signal on the air for very little money.

Absolutely.  I just received a Cricket 80a kit -- 80m CW transceiver, $30 plus shipping, and there's a straight key on the circuit board.  It'll take me an hour or two to assemble it.  I'll probably spend almost as much on 130 feet of wire for an antenna as I did on the kit, and it'll run on a 9V battery (but I'll probably install leads to let me run it off a 12V source, that should get it above a watt).  Still need to figure a way to support the antenna when I'm on top of a mountain.

I've also got a BaoFeng HT.  I bought the upgrade version, a programming cable, extra batteries, and a Nagoya antenna; I'm into that for about $150.

My big rig is a Heathkit SB-102.  I'm into that about $150, still need a power supply so I can troubleshoot and fix it -- then I'll need an antenna.  I should have around $150 sunk by the time I'm making QSOs with that.

By comparison, my cell phone cost $750 (which I paid at $28/mo over two years, paid it off in December, and feel no urge to "upgrade").  As long as I don't have to put it all out in one lump, I'm fine with paying as much for ham equipment as I paid for my phone.
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 10:01:41 PM »

Why would anyone spend $750.00 on a cell phone. Wow. Keeping it real . Nuff said. Everyone please be safe and Enjoy the hobby.
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 12:02:07 AM »

Why would anyone spend $750.00 on a cell phone. Wow. Keeping it real . Nuff said. Everyone please be safe and Enjoy the hobby.

Yeah, I don't get it. Phones and batteries are disposable.

Guess the higher priced phones have better cameras. I'd prefer to buy a $50 phone, a $200 camera.
Use the remaining $500 on something more useful than a vanity phone.
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 03:46:10 AM »

Out of several interests/hobbies I have, Amateur radio operators are the only ones that continually cry poor.

They feel compelled to list the cost of their phone service, other bills. Who else does that?

I find quality gear to be reasonably priced. Seems some people live in a time-warp, when it comes to finances.

China is not going to produce a cheap(er) HF rig, give it up already. Not happening.

Upon reflection of my other hobbies which include models, firearms, ammo reloading, numismatics and photography, I have to agree, although reloaders are notoriously frugal.  In my previous life as a Die Maker, I did note that in a profession that paid very well, a number of my fellow workers were frugal to the extreme. It left me with some interesting, funny and in at least two cases, disgusting stories to tell. On the other hand, I've known some impoverished people who would literally give you the shirt off their back without batting an eye.
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2019, 08:01:10 AM »

Why would anyone spend $750.00 on a cell phone.
Because some folks use their cell phones for more than streaming YouTube or surfing pr0n.

You know, as a remote office while on the go.

Or maybe you don't.
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2019, 10:22:22 AM »

Upon reflection of my other hobbies which include models, firearms, ammo reloading, numismatics and photography, I have to agree, although reloaders are notoriously frugal.  In my previous life as a Die Maker, I did note that in a profession that paid very well, a number of my fellow workers were frugal to the extreme. It left me with some interesting, funny and in at least two cases, disgusting stories to tell. On the other hand, I've known some impoverished people who would literally give you the shirt off their back without batting an eye.
I once worked with a guy who was so frugal, he would remove his license plates before going through the E-Z Pass tolls,to avoid paying. I asked him what he will do when he gets caught.  Not only the fine but oweing back tolls. He said it hasn't happened yet. Oh well... Undecided
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 10:28:17 AM by NO2A » Logged
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2019, 10:31:31 AM »

I don't find h.f. rigs to be overpriced.  They're more affordable today than ever before. You're also getting a high quality product that will last for years. The same can't be said for cell phones. They're way overpriced, and good luck on them lasting any length of time. Sure there are alternatives, if you don't mind squinting at a tiny screen and not having data service. And needing a magnifying glass. Younger people don't complain because they've never known any better. Landlines used to be affordable, you only paid for what you used. Not over $100 for just having phone service. Even if you never use it.

I have 2 phones (2 different numbers), on AT&T towers for $50 a month.

Android with unlimited talk and text, 4GB of data $35 a month, bring your own phone.
Flip phone, pay $30 every 60 days, 10 cents a min, unused mins carry over.

With all the competition, and MVNOs there's plenty of options for the individual user.

Landline used to charge long distance for calling a nearby suburb. There's no domestic long distance charge on cell service .

My point was, why would someone bring up their monthly bills?
Adults pay for their basic needs, we already know this. How is it hobby related?
Where was that deal when I bought mine?  I did however get a "free" tablet and flagship phone with 6gb data. And that great AT&T service... Cheesy
K1FBI

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2019, 10:39:20 AM »

AT&T has some really good deals. I left Verizon and am glad I did. I pay $45 a month for Unlimited Talk, Text and Data. They also gave me an IPhone for $50 and no contract required!
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2019, 11:12:12 AM »

Whatever.. Nuff Said. Real Talk. Keeping it Real.
Everyone please be safe and Enjoy the rest of the week. 73s.
K1FBI

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2019, 11:19:23 AM »

Keepin' it real:
Defined by Chris Rock as someone who does not want to better themselves through education. "Yo, are you going to school bro?", "No, I'm keepin' it real". To which Chris Rock replies "yeah, Real Stupid!".
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2019, 11:53:07 AM »

AT&T has some really good deals. I left Verizon and am glad I did. I pay $45 a month for Unlimited Talk, Text and Data. They also gave me an IPhone for $50 and no contract required!

Verizon (CDMA) is too restrictive on the phones they allow on their network.

AT&T (GSM) is much easier (larger selection of unlocked phones) to activate a phone on. Which also applies to the MVNOs that lease cellular coverage and data bandwidth from AT&T.

I never saw the point of a contract. Been going prepaid since 2004.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: