The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FTDX3000 vs Yaesu FT-DX3000D  (Read 2597 times)
KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2019, 07:27:04 AM »

Yes to you both, there are lost of good rigs and Steve does an amazing job with the pair of 590S radio's they are not even SG ones I think. I had seen a guy post his pair of 7300 for contesting somewhere I believe on E ham forum, this one fellow had also a pair of Array Solutions band pass filter networks for the contest bands only in a SO2R and the other fellow I know he is from Zero land also sporting 7300, it can be done with almost any radio.
As we all know once you embrace the radio that you bought, figure out its pluses and minuses you will end up figuring out how best to run it, when I had the 3000 I would use no pre amp on the bands 40 and below, pre amp one with 6db attenuation on 20m and 15 plus 10 I used pre amp one along with ridding the RF gain control which I feel is a by product of coming from an era that with most of the old tube rigs that control became your friend. When I first got the 7300 I did read the manual before I got it in the shack and  over and over it said use the RF gain control IF, that was the big IF so for the folks that didn't read they would never touch it and left it wide open. So the end result here is I feel the use of the RF gain control is a lost art, then you have guys turning off the AGC but what they don't seem to understand you give up some control, each to his own but todays radio's are simply amazing for how well they work for the investment dollar.
Bob the 7610 is a little less quieter receive, the audio amp has less THD so it appears cleaner to the ear plus this has been tested in lab results as well so they up graded the audio amp along with the SDR chain. Selectivity is the same along with how well the PBT and notch work as well, the NB and NR are similar but when I tested side by side there seemed to be a slightly better performance with the 7610. Like you said there is more bells on the bigger radio, two completely independent RX sections with there own band pass filters plus digi select, the APF works great for us who still use CW but the one thing they could have done is a CW reader cause the 3000 did work good. The display is larger but Icom is having an issue still with this problem which should be nipped in the bud I hope soon and yes the 7610 can be used with the I/O out to get a real nice almost Flex type spectrum display using HDSDR which if they could bring just one thing to the 7300 that would be awesome. If I had to sell my 7610 for some reason hell yes the 7300 would be a contender.
To Brian, I had a real nice spectrum display when I had my 3K, had a separate SDR fed by the IF out but what I didn't care for is using HRD to get control of HDSDR, HRD is IMO a very time consuming logging program, I just find it just very detailed and not made for on the fly operation. Having two VFO knobs was nice and I used then allot when working split during ssb dx
K6BRN

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2019, 08:40:32 AM »

Hi Jim (KX2T):

Yes, HRD can be tedious when it's not operating in an automatic logging mode.  Works great for FT8 and the (former) JT modes.  Not nearly as well on RTTY and is just slow on SSB.

I agree with you that a very big investment is made in personal time/learning with any radio and its support environment.   It's absolutely necessary to get the best from any radio.   I have three QTHs I move between and for that reason maintain very similar equipment at each.  Then, all I have to do is move a laptop between them and I'm "good to go".

But I've been through a lot of radios and equipmnt and spend a great deal of time at friend's"shacks", poking and prodding, disassembling and testing, and also actually using what they have.  We're "nerds", and proud of it.  Smiley

Not so much our XYLs, though.

Best Regards,

Brian - K6BRN
KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2019, 09:47:11 AM »

My wife calls me the Big Nerd too but when it came time to sell our home I fixed the Jacuzzi bath tube switch n time instead of getting a plumber to come to the house and at the tune of a $200 house call! So she know now not to tease as much, lol...
KI4ENS

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2019, 05:41:46 PM »

Well since I started this,  I thought I should reply.  Least at the moment I have decided to go with the Yaesu FTDX3000.  I like the I/O.  I have a SDR and Network Analyzer that I want to hookup to the IF and RF outputs.  Also the three antenna ports are a big plus.   The xyl is for it too.  I have a FT-897D now and from what I understand,  the FTDX 3000 is a significant upgrade.  I plan on keeping it and maybe ever use it as a receiver attached to the 3000.  Of course I have been thinking about this for over a year...

The Icom 7300 seems nice.  It is a direct sampling radio (hidden SDR in MHO) and in my option is the future if you look at the other new offerings.  The 7300 does not have all the I/O that the 3000 does.   And if I got the 7300,  then I would have to have the IC-9700 to satisfy my OCD...

Now to decide who to buy it from.  Also thanks for all the comments and input.
KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2019, 05:56:20 PM »

There was a fellow in NJ selling a real nice used 3000 for under $1000 plus in another month you have the biggest hamfest that generally brings the lowest price all year, I kind of jumped the gun on the 7610 last year and bought it a month before Dayton, if I waited I would have save $400 but I also would have not sold my other radio's for the same price so its a wash.
I have one ham I know who has one of those Elad SDR receivers hooked up to the 3000, may be overkill but he also uses the Elad for a second RX.
GL
K6BRN

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2019, 11:38:13 AM »

James (KX2T):

My wife calls me the Big Nerd too but when it came time to sell our home I fixed the Jacuzzi bath tube switch n time instead of getting a plumber to come to the house and at the tune of a $200 house call! So she know now not to tease as much, lol...

Boy, can I identify with that.  My wife is a pretty smart lady, with very high expectations,  But when there is a problem with an appliance, car, remote control, computer, FAX.... (the list is pretty much endless), she will tap her foot and expect me to "Make it Go"  (an inside joke with my friends) immediately.

We recently had a pretty complex , new multi-stage HVAC system installed in the CA QTH and the when I came home one day the inside of my home was warm and muggy.  She was at the door as I arrived, handed me my multimeter, a flashlight and glasses, and said:  "This is not good.  Figure it out and make it go.".  I did figure it out but suggested we bring the HVAC tech to fix it to preserve the warranty.  So she asked me to get into Powerpoint and writee up a step by step "fix it" guide for the HVAC tech.  And when he arrived, she haded him the package and ... "Made him go."  Smiley

BTW - she's worth it!

Best Regards,

Brian - K6BRN
KI4ENS

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2019, 07:01:59 PM »

For what it is worth,  my new FTDX3000's box is labeled FTDX3000D.  The D and the full spectrum scope are stickers added on.  It is a March 2019 radio from Japan.  I guess Yaesu is calling the radios with the updated firmware the "D" version.
KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2019, 08:15:53 PM »

Wow Brian I thought my wife was a little bossy but I can see I am not alone, I get exactly the same thing here, its like if I can't fix something she thinks somethings wrong with me LOL. But you have to know when to walk away from certain jobs especially were a warranty is concerned.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: