The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone remember this experimenter kit?  (Read 872 times)
W2EAF

Ignore
« on: April 03, 2019, 09:04:41 AM »

Years ago my Dad bought me an electronics project kit. It was similar to one of those Radio Shack/Science Fair all in one project sets, except way more basic. It was on a yellow plastic base with connections made with brass eyelets (no soldering required). It had one germanium PNP transistor permanently mounted in the middle. By adding parts and changing the wiring around you could make a code practice oscillator, an AM receiver, and a BCB transmitter. It had a crystal earphone like those used in Japanese transistor radios, which doubled as a microphone by slipping it into a red plastic megaphone. The manual was unusually well-written, clearly explaining what resistors, capacitors, inductors and transistors did. It was the starting point of a lifelong interest in electronics and ham radio.
I remember how cool it was when I managed to transmit my voice from the living room to a table radio in the kitchen! I was pretending I was mission control in Houston calling Gemini 5, so that would set the time as August 1965! Anyone else have anything like this?

Rob
W2EAF
W8RLC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 09:19:10 AM »

Yes, remember that item. If still have the 100 in 1 project kit that we purchased for our oldest son when it was about 8 or 9 years old.
K5DH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 10:18:01 AM »

I had a 50-in-1 project kit from Lafayette Radio when I was a kid.  To make connections, they used metal springs.  You bent the spring, inserted the stripped end of a piece of hookup wire, and released the spring.  It was easy and it worked.  I had a lot of fun with that thing. 
W2EAF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 10:56:28 AM »

Chances are my Dad got it at Lafayette. He loved that place, and their store in Jamaica Queens was very near us.
WW3QB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 02:41:29 PM »

I had the Raytheon Lectron set when I was a kid. I don't know which retailer sold them. There was no Radio Shack in my neighborhood so it may have been from Radio Row in Manhattan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raytheon_Lectron
WA2CWA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 04:37:16 PM »

Your call rang a bell of an article I saw when looking for some other info.

Radio and Television Magazine, April 1941, page 735
Radio and Television Magazine Link

Pete, wa2cwa
W2EAF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 07:27:48 AM »

Pete,
WEAF was the old call of WNBC in New York. I first heard of it while watching Ken Burns' "Empire of the Air", when a vintage sound clip of that station's ID announcement was played. I liked it, and thought it would sound a lot nicer than my old call, KB2NDN, and I was glad it was available when I upgraded. Hence, W2EAF.
WEAF is the present callsign of an AM station in South Carolina. In the ham radio world, W2EAF was formerly held by Gene Gillespie in Mount Vernon, NY.
WA2CWA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 02:27:31 PM »

Pete,
 In the ham radio world, W2EAF was formerly held by Gene Gillespie in Mount Vernon, NY.
The call is what caught my eye. I was scrolling down that specific magazine to an article by Larry LeKashman, W2IOP (who was an early editor of CQ Mag. (inducted into CQ Hall of Fame in 2001) and in management at times at Lafayette, Olson, RCA, Bogen, and Electro-Voice) and W2EAF's article was just prior to the article by Larry Lekashman.

Pete, wa2cwa
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 09:33:53 AM »

My brother had one of those kits, though I think the chassis was red plastic.
I had to help him get it working, and may have used it more than he did.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: