The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grundig receiver repair  (Read 809 times)
KC6RWI

Ignore
« on: April 03, 2019, 04:29:07 PM »

I've never worked with tubes, repaired all sorts of  solid state stuff. I have this receiver an old Grundig model 1060 from the 60's. It has a hard ac hum and I can see it has the old metal can capacitor and I am betting on that being bad, as for the tubes I am hoping that they will still be ok.
Interesting table top radio, gold metal  chassis and gold speaker with baffles that throw sound out the side and front. The tubes have some sort of paper tape to secure them.
I don't have any audio except for the hum, I assume thats how a bad ps would affect a tube radio.
W8RLC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 09:07:38 PM »

Not familiar with this radio. Bad capacitors may very well be the cause and blocking reception. Could also be a bad tube. Due to the age I would replace the electrolytic capacitors. I noticed that a service manual was available on eBay. I have never seen tubes held in place with paper tape.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 09:11:38 PM by W8RLC » Logged
W2EAF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 06:27:01 PM »

In my experience, it's the electrolytic cap in the metal can. They always go bad producing a loud hum. It could be a dual or triple section unit. Either way, they are easily replaced with modern caps of the same ratings or higher. You can just take the can out of the circuit, leaving it mounted to the chassis, and solder in the replacements underneath to retain the stock appearance. Checking the schematic, I see it's a 50/50uF dual section rated at 350V. You'll also want to replace the 50uF 12V cap in the cathode circuit of the EL84 output tube. https://www.rsp-italy.it/Electronics/Radio%20Schematics/Grundig/index.htm
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 06:36:34 PM by W2EAF » Logged
KC6RWI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 01:05:13 PM »

Great, thanks for that, I've did alot of tv repair and of course I have an esr meter. Never changed on of those metal caps.
A neighbor brought me a little TV with a dvd player, after checking voltages and caps, the screen had no contrast but a picture. I realized it was the back light and no repair could be made. I might just take it apart to see how if its one shorted led, but I hold little hope.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 01:39:37 PM »

there are backlit strips availiable online if you have a part number. but if it's the power module and it's on the main board, not so lucky.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 01:40:17 PM »

You may be able to purchase exact replacement can capacitors from https://www.tubesandmore.com/ if you want to keep it stock looking. I've also had some luck in taking the defective can capacitors apart, removing the guts, and installing new axial lead electrolytic capacitors inside the can (newer capacitors are usually much smaller than the originals). I like to keep old radios as close to original as possible.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
KC6RWI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 01:57:47 PM »

I just will use the typical electrolytic caps available with the the correct voltage, the owner will be more impressed with the sound coming back, and I'll change that 2nd cap just to make it good.
 I'll investigate the light strips, its a small set but does have a dvd that works, and making it functional is fun. Then I'll attach it to the wall as a test unit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: