The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flex power genious xl  (Read 4853 times)
VK6HP

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2019, 01:06:24 AM »

Brian, Dan

I agree that a robust feedforward implementation requires care, particularly in a typical ham environment involving a variety of sources, loads and practices.   That, allied with the small number of commercial options in the ham world, has been the reason I've been holding off with the KPA1500 trials.  I must say, though, the ANAN approach is interesting but, to date, I've not been particularly drawn to the ANAN transceiver operating environment, despite recognizing that it's a good one for many radio communication experiments.

I'm lazy enough to hope for an Elecraft K4 or similar turnkey solution, on the assumption that such a radio is likely to suit me better.  I understand Brian's concerns about opening the flood-gate to systems that may have inherently large parameter sensitivity, or simply too much of a good thing.  But in true spirit of ham radio development, I'd like to see more pre-distortion implementation options available.    However, I certainly agree that increased distribution of mic gain stops and ALC meter interpretation guides is the first priority  Smiley

73, Peter.
M0HCN

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2019, 06:41:08 AM »

However, I certainly agree that increased distribution of mic gain stops and ALC meter interpretation guides is the first priority  Smiley
I have never quite understood why mic gain is even a  thing on a modern rig. I mean I can see a menu option somewhere for 'dynamic/electret' microphone switching, but typically a modern radio is stuffing the audio into a DSP chip just as soon as it can, and a 'VOGAD' implemented in the DSP can trivially deal with any real world dynamic range. Certainly my marine HF set does NOT have such a control and manages just fine.

An 'RF Power' knob, a set of controls for the dynamics and clipper drive, and MAYBE a tx filter bandwidth control should be quite sufficient IMHO. For AM, maybe an option to allow a **little** over 100% positive mod?

Regards, Dan.
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2019, 01:45:31 PM »

looks like this amp might be dead and removed from the Flex line.
K6JH

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2019, 02:35:26 PM »

looks like this amp might be dead and removed from the Flex line.

Why do you say that?

The product link is still good on their web site.

Per forum posts another batch of amps shipped and delivered around end of March.

Per another forum post Gerald claims another batch is inbound from the manufacturer and due next week (for Flex inspection test, not necessarily shipped to end customers).

Sound to me like they're just being cautious. They don't want to ship a bunch of junk they have to take back.

Jim K6JH
VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2019, 11:35:38 AM »

An SDR Play makes a fine substitute for a cheap spectrum analyser; the dynamic range is greater than 60dB and the accuracy is comparable at around 1dB

Ahhhh...  no.  Not even close.  I have and use both.  A spectrum analyzer with TG is a tool that allows fast and easy checkout of many metrics, with reasonable accuracy and repeatability.  Even if its an "inexpensive" one.

An SDRplay is a fun "Kludge" made largely out of what I think is a DVB chipset intended for embedded applications.

One is a tool, the other is a toy.

If you have the opportunity to learn to use and apply a real spectrum analyzer / TG, you will REALLY appreciate it.

Brian - K6BRN

I did specifically state that the only reason to buy an entry level spec an is if you also buy the tracking generator.

As such, I agree that it is a great tool worth having. 

But in terms of performance you'd be surprised what that 'DVT-B Chipset' can do - because it has to - in order to decode QAM256 signals.

If a ham can have an accurate toy (this is Ham radio, you know, with MFJ and all) for peanuts, or have nothing at all, I'll promote the ownership of the toy every day.

Workshop tools are on the 'buy list' now actually; I'm moving to a QTH that has pretty average reception compared to the current one, but does offer a nice workshop.  So its a little bittersweet, but hopefully when the sunspots come back I'll be able to enjoy a bit of SSB Phone DX Again.

In the meantime, there are other aspects of the hobby!

J.D. Mitchell BA  - VK3BL / XU7AGA - https://www.youtube.com/ratemyradio - Honesty & Integrity
K6BRN

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2019, 07:08:02 PM »

J.D. (VK3BL):

Glad you like the SDRplay units and find them useful.  So do I.  And, as you said, this is AMATEUR radio.  If that's what you've got, that's what you use.

But look forward to the day whan you have an oscilloscope (time domain measurements) AND a spectrum analyzer (frequency domain measurements).  You'll be surprised at what a nice device this is (with tracking generator) for all sorts of amateur radio work.

You will also need a suitable set of attenuators, coax stubs and directional couplers to have some"extended fun".

The good news is there is STILL some fun equipment to aspire to acquire and learn to use.  No need to be bored (I saw your other post - you do NOT get to run out of toys quite yet!), and you can even do some videos on how to characterize antenna traps, SWR/Return Loss, transmitter spurs and harmonics... and many other things.  Not time to close the "Fun" office just yet.  Keep on Truckin'!

Best Regards,

Brian - K6BRN
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: