The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flex 6400M vs. IC7610 Long Term?  (Read 2382 times)
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2019, 02:03:11 PM »

If you want to spend more time playing radio rather than constantly having to play computer, get the icom. Have had both a Flex 6300 and 7610 and kept the 7610.
KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2019, 07:32:28 AM »

I think the Flex owners really like the display you can pop up on a big monitor and have full computer control, they seem to sell very well with video game crowd and younger hams, us old farts like our knobs it seems. If the Flex would improve there noise reduction or noise blanker I feel allot more would be on board, it seems that Anan has been the only stand alone SDR that has really placed some serious work into an SDR that would be good at mitigating noise.
The Icom so far seems to have the best overall noise combating features but may not work the best in every situation like hi tension wire noise that is S9 plus, it will reduce that type of noise but you still have that popping sound when strong station come close by your frequency, almost every single noise blanker no mater who designs it has the same effect. The Noise reduction on both the 7610 and the 7300 seen very good without any digital effects but this has been were Icom has always been leading in there ability to program the either DSP chip or FPGA chip to produce a clean signal on its output maybe minus some hi frequencies but no under water sound effects.
As far as receivers go yes there are a few toe tapers that have entered the arena that have excellent lab numbers but that is in a lab and maybe might not be seen in every day use but they give the owners bragging rights that they are at or close to the top on someones list. I regards to the K3s there are many radio that will work as well plus do not have to be optioned out to death which increases the price tag, Elecraft when the original K3 came out was an excellent value that changed and every time they would change something the price of that radio went up and up to the point that you were spending over $4k for a radio that still looked cheap, they lost in the value department.

As far as real man made power line noise the best solution is to phase two antennas with some kind of noise enhancement box, there are several of these types of boxes on the market, on the cheap side but easily modified if you have basic technical skills is the MFJ 1025/1026, nest is the JPS or Time wave model and again this also needs some basic modification cause not everyone has the property to space there main antenna and the noise antenna that far apart. Then you have the DX engineering box which will cost several hundred dollars which has much more flexibility but come at a price, who knows maybe they might ring out a more basic model but in real life all of these boxes do the same thing. I use the cheaper MFJ and with a 30ft vertical placed in the yard as my noise antenna I am able to bring a S9+ power line noise on any band to an S1 but it makes a big difference in copy of any stations so until the local power company gets around to fixing there insulator issues I am good to go.
When I lived in the NE I did have a solar panel system that was 400ft away from my home, that was a far worse noise then power line but even then I was able to bring a S9+20 noise level to S5. Phasing two antenna to cancel the noise does work and very well without much degradation in signal strength, at most 4-6db.
AH6FC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2019, 08:37:44 PM »

Haven't used 7610 but have ICOM in past, good reliable rigs.  Also have used Flex.  I'm a computer idiot....just one of those mental blocks.  I bought a Flex 6500 about 4 years ago...to push my brain ......not at retirement yet but, let's just say I've been a ham 51 years or so.

I had a lot of frustration with the 6500....nothing wrong with the rig, only my computer mental block...simple things but problems nonetheless.  Almost switched to an FTdx-5000 or Elecraft.....but I didn't.   In fact, I just traded for a 6600M.

The Flex is an unbelievable rig.  The rig is a visual experience.  You forgot about the knobs....if no other reason, the panadaptor and filters are absolutely amazing, just incredible.  My guess is with the 66/6400M, with the control panel / computer built in, will eliminate 99% of those computer issues.  Don't forget, all of the rigs have computers in them....my ICOM 756 Pro III crashed in the past...all the hidden menus, etc.  Flex doesn't have hidden menus.  Yes it has a lot of bells and whistles...but even I had it up and running within an hour of unpacking....4 years ago using an Apple computer.  So with a 6400M-6600M it will be seamless.

Suspect the Elecraft K4 would be similar.  Of course the ICOM are great rig too.  Though I love sitting in front of a nice big radio with big knobs to fiddle with.....the visual experience and filter capabilities of the Flex are just incredible and really worth considering. 

good luck

73, Aloha
Bill  AH6FC
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: