The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Installing TQSL for dummies  (Read 818 times)
WA2ISE

Ignore
« on: April 13, 2019, 07:22:40 PM »

Just figured out the magic incantations to make my PC actually install the damm thing.  

First thing is to download the TQSL program. I used Firefox.  Once that is done, you should be able to see a downwards pointing arrow near the upper right of the Firefox screen.  Click it to see the stuff you recently downloaded.  you should see tqsl-2.4.5.msi and then right click it to get "go to containing folder" and do that to open that folder.  

Now open a cmd window.  to do that, go to the windows icon in the lower left corner of your display and click on it.  You'll see a box to type in "search programs and files".  Type "cmf" (without the "s)
and you should see a list with CMD.EXE near the top.  click on that and you should get a black window.  You should see a prompt like c:\Users\wa2ise>

Open the folder you saw in the cmd window,  (you may have to go to the control panel and find the option that lets you see hidden folders, another fun adventure).  Then go to the folder that contains the downloaded tqsl-2.4.5.msi file and move it to the c:\users\wa2ise equivalent folder.

Okay, now go to the cmd black window.  type in:
msiexec /i tqsl-2.3.4.msi
and hit the return key.  If it barfs, you'll get a window showing stuff only a software guy can make sense of.  If it actually works you'll see an installation window, the usual legal BS you have to click "accept" on.  It should install or update from this point on.  

The reason I had you move the file to c:\users\wa2ise was so you don't have to type extra stuff (called the "path") with the file name.  Cutting and pasting doesn't work in the cmd window.   Angry

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
I'm sure that the above is painfully obvious to software experts, but I'm a hardware guy. I know what to do if an instruction calls for me to "replace R34".  I don't need instructions saying " get a screwdriver, remove screws holding the top panel, remove that panel, find the whatever board, disconnect 2 wire harnesses, plug in the doldering iron, wait an annoying long 5 minutes for it to get hot enough to melt solder, then remove the screws holding the board R34 is on,  find R34 and heat up one lead of it to remove (with needlenose pliers) that lead, then do the other lead.  clean the solder holes on the board, insert the new resistor, solder it and then clip off the excess leads.  then plug the wiring harnesses back and remount the board, and test the radio to see if the damm thing still works and the resistor replacement did what you expected.  If it does work, reassemble it.  If not, curse like a sailor.   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 07:33:40 PM by WA2ISE » Logged
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 05:37:01 PM »

The instructions for downloading and installing TQSL are here.

On Windows, if after downloading finishes your web browser does not automatically start the TQSL installer,

1. use Windows Explorer to navigate to your Downloads folder

2. right-click the entry for the just-downloaded .msi file

3. select Open from the pop-up menu.

#1 DXCC Honor Roll, DXCC Challenge 3000
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 09:38:02 PM »

Yeah, I had no idea what the Original Poster was even talking about.  I didn't go thru any gyrations like that to install TQSL.  It installs easily in less than a minute.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 04:42:47 AM »

I just downloaded to the desktop and clicked on the icon, just like I do with most every new software installation. After it's installed, I move the install program from the desktop to a folder where I keep all of my installation files.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 04:43:06 AM »

Just figured out the magic incantations to make my PC actually install the damm thing ...

No.

No magic needed.

Download, and run the installation program.

That is the magic.

Help out the Club Log QSL Card Tagging Project - Tag DX QSL Cards
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 02:08:53 PM »

The instructions for downloading and installing TQSL ...

3. select Open from the pop-up menu.

I tried that,  it would just give me a screen telling how to use msiexec.   Sad
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 02:46:26 PM »

Same thing again with version 2.4.7   There must be a config problem on my PC somewheres... Huh
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 04:08:50 PM »

Same thing again with version 2.4.7   There must be a config problem on my PC somewheres... Huh
Are you updating from within TQSL or downloading the complete installation package (MSI) from the ARRL site?

Try the complete package:

http://www.arrl.org/tqsl-download

After downloading, right click on it, click on open with, select windows installer.
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 01:33:57 PM »

Are you updating from within TQSL or downloading the complete installation package (MSI) from the ARRL site?

That's what I first tried to do.  must be the msi installer on my PC is goofed up?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: