The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So who/when/how decides to use more frequencies for FT8?  (Read 1167 times)
KC1GCG

Ignore
« on: April 15, 2019, 12:23:47 PM »

So with the nice big sunspot going on this week it seems propagation is better than it has been in recent times as evidenced by the FT8 band on 20 M being full of signals on this Monday afternoon here in NH. Usually I only see this level of users on weekends.
Its one of those times where there is really no open space on the waterfall and when you think you found one BAM someone comes in on top of you.
So.... got my little brain wondering what its going to be like when the sun really wakes up - (in a few years I guess). Seems clear we need to start using additional frequencies sometime sooner than later. My question is who decides/drives that whole process? Is it the WSJT team? Or who/what?
Just a curiosity question.
Thanks in advance and 73
John K1JRF
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 02:29:29 PM »

Hams are easily bored.  By the time the sun wakes up, FT8 will be a distant memory.  As to your question, I am not sure.
Art
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 05:42:56 PM »

If a "rare one" that I need posts their special operating frequencies, I'll make a point to listen when I think the band will be open. 
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 05:55:35 PM »

Hams are easily bored.  By the time the sun wakes up, FT8 will be a distant memory.  As to your question, I am not sure.
Art

Unless some even more efficient mode comes along, FT8 ain't going nowhere.

He speaks fluent PSK31, in FT8...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 06:00:29 PM »

Hams are easily bored.  By the time the sun wakes up, FT8 will be a distant memory.  ...

Right we'll be on FT 9, or 10 by then.  Cheesy

Help out the Club Log QSL Card Tagging Project - Tag DX QSL Cards
ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 06:36:26 AM »

Strange,.......... All those DXpeditions that operate on "different" frequencies some how seem to be worked.

Just move a Kc (or two) , you will be seen and spotted.
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 11:43:30 AM »

My question is who decides/drives that whole process?
The user/s. The problem is, most of us have no 'pull'.

But, if it's 'juicy' DX, people will flock to the new frequency in a heart beat.

The best expansion opportunity, for normal activity, is the JT65 and JT9 segments.
KC1GCG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 11:26:40 AM »

Thanks all for the comments. I "guess" its the JT team that would drive expanding frequencies used or perhaps something the ARRL could advocate for.... I guess nature has to take its course and maybe some regular ham will start using more freqs and it will catch on. Either way more fun to be had than I have waking hours in a day:)

Hams are easily bored.  By the time the sun wakes up, FT8 will be a distant memory.   Thats funny but Im not so sure for this subject. I think we like new stuff..... isn't that what we are supposed to be doing... blazing new trails. Unfortunately there's only so much innovation left or to be done with the new hardware like SMT stuff I can hardly see and for the average old guy and now its all mostly in software that much of the "new" stuff is/will be coming from. I keep thinking about playing around with some Arduino/Pi stuff but then I remember I have some sort of tube rig that needs some work:) And I did just read about the new FT4 contest software coming out soon.
Laters all
John K1JRF

KB9BVN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2019, 07:44:20 AM »

Did anyone here pass a damned test?

40m bandplan shows digital modes from 7080 to 7125

Your radio has a VFO...use it when it's too crowded.  Just remember from 7100 - 7125 you have the SHARE with CW, and other digital modes.

SURPRISE!!  15m, 20m, 30m, and 80m also have entire segments allocated to CW, Digital, and Phone modes.

W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2019, 08:44:48 AM »

Did anyone here pass a damned test?

40m bandplan shows digital modes from 7080 to 7125

Your radio has a VFO...use it when it's too crowded.  Just remember from 7100 - 7125 you have the SHARE with CW, and other digital modes.

SURPRISE!!  15m, 20m, 30m, and 80m also have entire segments allocated to CW, Digital, and Phone modes.

You should consider that you are commenting on voluntary or recommended band plans. These are not on "the test". They also vary from region to region.

The FCC, on the other hand, allows "RTTY and data" from 7.000 to 7.125 if you have an Extra class license or 7.025 to 7.125 with Advanced or General.

You should also note that, from an FCC perspective, there is no CW only allocation for any band. Instead, the FCC states: "Except as specified elsewhere in this part, an amateur station may transmit a CW emission on any frequency authorized to the control operator."

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
KB9BVN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2019, 09:08:44 AM »

You should consider that you are commenting on voluntary or recommended band plans. These are not on "the test". They also vary from region to region.

The FCC, on the other hand, allows "RTTY and data" from 7.000 to 7.125 if you have an Extra class license or 7.025 to 7.125 with Advanced or General.

You should also note that, from an FCC perspective, there is no CW only allocation for any band. Instead, the FCC states: "Except as specified elsewhere in this part, an amateur station may transmit a CW emission on any frequency authorized to the control operator."

- Glenn W9IQ

Well anyone with a keyboard and half a working brain can look up the FCC allowed band plan....and they will see that FT8 is NOT limited to one frequency.  I guess that was the point I was making.  Of course the ARRL has a suggested band plan that means squat. I mainly hang out in the 7118 to 7125 range offering up QSO's to CW nebies as often as time permits...ALWAYS getting run over by US based stations running LSB on 7125.  Lids.  They be everywhere.   Including my own shack at times.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: