The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Active Antenna question  (Read 1787 times)
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2019, 09:42:58 PM »

That said, I use a mini-whip most of the time. I feed it with a much lower voltage though. At 12V, performance leaves a lot to be desired.
An update on the Mini-Whip input voltage.

The Mini-Whip is usually spec'ed to work with an input of 12-15 V. I don't know if the different Mini-Whip builds vary, but the one I use does not work well with 12 V, lots of IMD.

I have been reducing the voltage as I come across quality AC adapters with the right polarity. I know, I could simply have re-wired the barrel connector if the polarity was not the correct one. Roll Eyes

This week I found a good AC adapter with an output of 5 V. Tried it yesterday, and the results are excellent. So, if your Mini-Whip is not giving you quality results, try reducing the input voltage.

As a side note,  I had also added the recommended ground wire some time ago. In my particular installation, no difference was noticed.
An interesting coincidence. The new version of the Mini-Whip from the vendor I purchased mine, now says that it can be powered with 5-12 Volts.
I wonder if they came out with that new voltage statement after you posted here Cool

Not a ham, but an avid hobbyist in HF world. All things, short of transmit happen in this shack.
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2019, 05:30:07 AM »

That said, I use a mini-whip most of the time. I feed it with a much lower voltage though. At 12V, performance leaves a lot to be desired.
An update on the Mini-Whip input voltage.

The Mini-Whip is usually spec'ed to work with an input of 12-15 V. I don't know if the different Mini-Whip builds vary, but the one I use does not work well with 12 V, lots of IMD.

I have been reducing the voltage as I come across quality AC adapters with the right polarity. I know, I could simply have re-wired the barrel connector if the polarity was not the correct one. Roll Eyes

This week I found a good AC adapter with an output of 5 V. Tried it yesterday, and the results are excellent. So, if your Mini-Whip is not giving you quality results, try reducing the input voltage.

As a side note,  I had also added the recommended ground wire some time ago. In my particular installation, no difference was noticed.
An interesting coincidence. The new version of the Mini-Whip from the vendor I purchased mine, now says that it can be powered with 5-12 Volts.
I wonder if they came out with that new voltage statement after you posted here Cool
I doubt it. That's not what I meant by coincidence, bad choice of words, I guess.

It's much more likely that others noticed it as well, whether the vendor himself, or reports he received. In any case, it seems to confirm that with this particular build, lowering the input voltage improves performance.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: