The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: But wait...there's more! (using an antenna tuner with a receiver)  (Read 1246 times)
AB4KA

Ignore
« on: April 21, 2019, 11:20:04 AM »

So I hooked up the Dentron 80-10AT tuner to my Alinco DX-R8 and a single wire and it seemed to help.  But since we are never satisfied with our antennas, I reworked my setup.  I added some length to my antenna and raised it a few feet.  Suddenly I'm getting severe interference from a local AM broadcast station and it's getting me all up and down the HF bands  Angry  I could change the settings on the tuner and almost tune it out, and with other settings it was louder than what I was trying to hear.

So, for kicks and giggles, I took the tuner out of the line and ran the antenna straight into the receiver.  Now there's much less interference.

So much for my big ideas  Roll Eyes
W8ARR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 08:46:08 PM »

How did you add to the length of your antenna? Did you solder the extensions to the antenna wire? I'm thinking that if you just twisted the new wire to the old there maybe some sort of action there. If you can  afford it , I would use a new wire of the same new length or if that don't work maybe try a high pass filter. Take care & good listening Art W8ARR   
KE2KB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 08:52:42 AM »

If you're having trouble with AM broadcast, maybe you need a broadcast filter. I installed an inexpensive, yet very effective filter in-line to my SDRPlay RSP1. It has produced excellent results - albeit at the expense of the 160m band.
KA3JJZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 10:32:32 AM »

For those that don't want to roll their own, we have a few suppliers in the Filters section of;

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Improving_HF_Reception

Mike
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 12:03:22 PM »

For those that don't want to roll their own, we have a few suppliers in the Filters section of;
One of the lowest priced, and easy to source AM High Pass Filter is the following:

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-com-broadcast-block-high-pass-filter-now-sale/

Receive only though.
KA3JJZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 04:02:41 PM »

Thanks for this. But if I'm reading the plot right, there is still some attenuation at 160 - for those that are into that band, it doesn't look like this is a good solution for you

Mike
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 05:10:38 PM »

Thanks for this. But if I'm reading the plot right, there is still some attenuation at 160 - for those that are into that band, it doesn't look like this is a good solution for you
True...If 160 is a wanted band, this is not the filter to get.

I have the ICE as well, bought it used for a good price. But if buying new, I suggest the PAR.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: