The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The FT4 Protocol for Digital Contesting.  (Read 1894 times)
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2019, 07:31:20 AM »

I also decoded FT4 signals on 7.047 last night.  I think that's because the software had a default frequency set for 40 meters.

The QRP CW guys had been forced off 7039-7040 by PSK31 operation many years ago. Today 7039-7041 is a complete DEAD ZONE because of the neverending WSPR drones.

A lot of the CW guys had relocated up the band and indeed they will again be disrupted by the default frequency of the 7047-7050 FT4 activity creating a new dead zone.
I wonder why not use the JT65/JT9 segments, at least during this testing phase, but maybe permanently if it catches on.
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2019, 11:16:48 AM »

ADIF status for FT4:

1.  FT4 is not yet supported by the ADIF consortium.  Too new.  Small chance its name will change before final "approvals".
2. LOTW implements a workaround where you can specify that the FT4 ADIF mode tag is treated as if you said DATA instead of FT4.  This is a servicable workaround (Display Or Modify Preferences -> ADIFModes tab -> put in FT4 to DATA as a custom mapping.).  LOTW also supports <MODE:4>DATA directly in your ADIF.  Again, this is a workaround.
3. Clublog seems to simply accept the tab and map it to DATA without any specification of anything.  You can also say "DATA" in your ADIF for MODE and that works, too.
4. eQSL rejects FT4 and DATA as tags.  You will presumably want to reload the FT4 QSOs later on when the tag is supported.
5. If you use the ADIf created by WSJT-X itself, it specifies the mode as FT4  (<MODE:3>FT4 ).

If you do your uploading through logging software, you will have to consult your manual to figure out what, exactly, they do as far as the ADIF goes.  Anything is possible.

The worst (and we will probably see some of this) is that someone, somewhere will map FT4 to FT8.  I do not recommend this practice, though one SWL report I received on eQSL today did this.  There is no need to resort to that.  That will eventually cause chaos for any FT4/FT8 specific awards (e.g. WAS).  It is unlikely that many matches will actually result from such a kludge anyway.

I have no idea what happens elsewhere yet (HRD, QRZ on-line logging).

ADIF is, of course, the underlying data "standard" used to upload QSOs to various places, such as LOTW, eQSL, and Clublog to name the three most prominent.

My own current strategy is to upload to LOTW as "DATA" ,  Clublog as "DATA", and do eQSL at some future point when it all settles down.
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2019, 11:37:53 AM »

...upload to LOTW as "DATA" ,  Clublog as "DATA", and do eQSL at some future point when it all settles down.
Regarding LoTW, my suggestion is to wait for it to add FT4.

I'll not make the 'mistake' of uploading anything, other than the correct mode. Uploading FT8 as DATA, as I did way back when, was a mistake in hindsight.

One can edit ClubLog and eQSL records (at least before a match with eQSL). Not so with LoTW. Records are not replaced, but added, creating duplicate records with different modes.

Database 'cleanup', involving non-matched records only, is one thing that I wish LoTW would allow.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 11:46:30 AM by VA3VF » Logged
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2019, 12:04:47 PM »

For LOTW, at least, the fact that it is a 'write only' mode actually creates minimal harm.

You can either:  1) Not bother fixing them or 2) re-upload them.

In neither case is any real harm done.  If you do bother to re-upload, you will end up with some duplicate matched QSL entries (some saying DATA, some saying FT4), but it doesn't really matter.  If you do nothing, their tag (be it DATA or be it FT4) will match yours.  If the interest of your QSO partner is anything other than WAS, DATA is normally all you or they need to claim the QSL match for any award, especially ARRL DX awards.  So, it doesn't matter "which" match is used by anyone for anything (save, again, WAS).  You can fix them up or not.

ARRL's computers already know how to handle either one for anything from 5BDXCC to Honor Roll to Digital DXCC.  As far as I can make out, after it is supported, if one partner says FT4 and the other DATA, it will be credited for any digital award that DXCC currently has.

Maybe someday it will be an issue (somebody going for an FT4 WAZ if CQ ever support this).  Those three folks can email me.  When/if it even happens.

Meanwhile, I find value in having the matches for reasons other than just awards.  Some DX may upload to LOTW and not Clublog.  If I upload the DATA version, I know the QSO is good, even if I need to get the card for some obscure non-ARRL award or use it for CQ Marathon.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 12:10:01 PM by WO7R » Logged
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2019, 12:06:53 PM »

QRZ.com logging accepts either FT4 or DATA as Mode tags.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2019, 12:48:42 PM »

The worst (and we will probably see some of this) is that someone, somewhere will map FT4 to FT8.  I do not recommend this practice, though one SWL report I received on eQSL today did this.  There is no need to resort to that.  That will eventually cause chaos for any FT4/FT8 specific awards (e.g. WAS).  It is unlikely that many matches will actually result from such a kludge anyway.

OMG. I will have to see if I can get separate WAS Phone certificate endorsement stickers for LSB and USB :-).
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2019, 02:17:58 PM »

OMG. I will have to see if I can get separate WAS Phone certificate endorsement stickers for LSB and USB :-).
It takes a lot more skill to complete an award on 20M LSB or 80M USB, for example. Wink
W9AC

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2019, 04:13:46 PM »

>"A lot of the CW guys had relocated up the band and indeed they will again be disrupted by the default frequency of the 7047-7050 FT4 activity creating a new dead zone."

Looks like W1AW bulletins will need to move from 7047.5 kHz.  Who wants to copy CW through the screeching FT4 racket? 

Paul, W9AC
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: