The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DMR Are there topic specific talkgroups?  (Read 364 times)
N0TVE

Ignore
« on: May 02, 2019, 08:37:43 AM »

I am giving serious thought to working in DMR/Fusion style radio. I like to rag chew on HF SSB.
Before I spend a chunk of change on a different HT and a hotspot I have a question that I hope someone can answer and I'm not getting a good answer on Google--guess I'm asking the wrong questions for them.
Are there topic specific groups almost like forums? Like old tractors, gardening, weapons etc?
Thanks to anyone who can answer.
Don
N0TVE
G4AON

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 11:39:39 PM »

You will be lucky to find activity outside the main national/international talkgroups. Seeding the idea and getting a few like minded friends to use a TG for “sked” type activity and then publicise it on here might be a good idea.

Don’t get too excited though, many users struggle to setup their own radios, let alone add a talkgroup themselves.

With regard to cost, one of the common Chinese handhelds, such as the TYT MD380 family, with a Chinese copy MMDVM board on a Raspberry Pi (running Pi-Star) will work as well as anything else. The whole lot new should give change from $200, don’t get sucked into expensive hotspots from ham dealers, an MMDVM board is probably around $25 delivered and an MD-UV380 (dual band DMR/FM with desk charger and USB programming lead) costs around $130.

One of the big problems with digital voice is the dilution of activity across several different modes, then further diluted across dozens of talkgroups/reflectors, etc.

DMR can be the cheapest, is perfectly useable, but current radios are not very amateur friendly as they are based on commercial “factory radio scheme” radios.

By all means give it a go, just don’t rush to a dealer with your credit card.

73 Dave
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 09:26:32 AM »

Are there topic specific groups almost like forums? Like old tractors, gardening, weapons etc?
Thanks to anyone who can answer.
Don
N0TVE

YES, there are. Check out the TGIF DMR network. It is a new alternative to Brandmeister. They have about 120 TG's right now and many of them are topic specific. If you do not like what you see, start your OWN talkgroup about whatever.

http://tgif.network/index.html

Stan K9IUQ

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 09:36:29 AM »

One of the big problems with digital voice is the dilution of activity across several different modes, then further diluted across dozens of talkgroups/reflectors, etc.

73 Dave

Yeah, dilution of activity. Kinda like HF with all their various modes, psk, rtty,cw,FT-8,FT-4,JT-65,SSTV,FM,AM,SSB,APRS etc etc etc.

What is wrong with those damn hams, why aren't they forced to ONE MODE?? NO MORE DILUTION, boredom instead.

Not only that but we got TOO MANY bands too. Hams should be forced to only one band, get rid of dilution!!

It should be called experimentation, not dilution. It is what hams are supposed to do.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 09:40:21 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: