The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the polite way to figure out if a talk group is in use?  (Read 345 times)
N1AUP

Ignore
« on: May 04, 2019, 02:43:20 PM »

I'm noticing that having someone just barge into a DMR conversation is a common occurrence.  I'm guessing that the talk group has not been set as static, so their hot spot or repeater is not carrying the audio until the person transmits.  I'm further guessing that since they don't hear anything, they think the TG is clear, and they either make a call, or indicate that they are listening.

My question is what is the Miss Manners approved way of finding out that a TG is busy?  Is it OK to kerchunk a talk group to turn on the audio feed?  Should you say "testing" or "listening"?  I would think that either of these choices would me more disruptive than kerchunking.

Finally, right now, some of my talk groups won't allow me to transmit if the TG is in use.  This is annoying as no audio comes through, but I can't kerchunk to turn on the audio.

What is best practice?

Thanks.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 04:01:57 PM »

My question is what is the Miss Manners approved way of finding out that a TG is busy?  Is it OK to kerchunk a talk group to turn on the audio feed?  Should you say "testing" or "listening"?  I would think that either of these choices would me more disruptive than kerchunking.

Finally, right now, some of my talk groups won't allow me to transmit if the TG is in use.  This is annoying as no audio comes through, but I can't kerchunk to turn on the audio.

What is best practice?

You did not say what DMR network you use. Practice may differ depending what network you are on -Brandmeister, DMARC, TGIF etc. It might also vary if you use a repeater (someone elses rules) or hotspot (your rules). Here is what I know from using a hotspot and Brandmiester and TGIF networks:

On most DMR networks you HAVE to kerchunk the TG or you will not connect to the TG . A brief PTT is all it takes, do not id or say anything. Once you get connected wait a minute or so before trying to talk to someone by giving your call. I just usually say K9IUQ listening, anyone around. Do not call CQ. When you are done with the TG "disconnect" the TG from your hotspot by sending TG4000 if using Branmeister. If you are using TGIF you do not have to disconnect as the next TG you PTT will automatically disconnect the previous TG.

If you neglect to disconnect TG's on Brandmeister you will end up with a lot of connected TG's to your hotspot which will cause frustration.

Brandmeister also allows you to setup Static TG's. These TG are on ALL the time to your hotspot/radio. Do not setup more than a few Static TG's or you will have problems. A busy Static TG will lockup your radio to that TG and not allow you to disconnect and go elsewhere.

Miss Manners ain't on DMR, you will screw up, it ain't a big deal if you learn from your screw ups.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 04:07:42 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
N1AUP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 04:19:19 PM »

Thanks.  Wasn't sure if kerchunking was the right choice.

Chris
W4JPP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 03:05:02 PM »

I think the biggest problem I’ve seen on busy talkgroups like 91, 310, 3100 on brandmeister is people not leaving any gaps between transmissions. I’d suggest 3-5 seconds. If you have off to be in a talkgroup, and you want to leave, if they don’t leave a gap you can’t get your 4000 in to disconnect. You can do this via the brandmeister website or your pi star admin screen if you have linked to brandmeister via api. But if just ur radio you need a gap.

The other is really long qso’s on 91. It’s relatively rare. But a few weeks back while on a long drive I listened to a couple guys who “thought” they were on 75m at midnight. Some 3-5 minute key ups in each direction with no gaps. But that’s rare. Most of us are all new to this and learning.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: