The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Possibility of Shortwave return in Australia.  (Read 1384 times)
VK2NZA

Ignore
« on: May 06, 2019, 01:50:14 AM »

The Australian Labor party is in the middle of an election process and it has pledged to supply funding for  shortwave transmission to cover the expanse of the Northern Territory and North/Western Queensland if it wins government.
As I understand this will not be the re-opening of Radio Australia and its large Shepparton transmission site, rather it will be to provide radio coverage to a huge area that doesn't receive FM or MW (during daylight hours) from other govt or commercial broadcasters.
I suspect it will be a relay of the Australian Broadcasting Corporations "Radio National",  ABC News Radio and local ABC Northern territory possibly out of Darwin.
Designed to provide a reliable link for outback stations (aussie ranches) long haul truckers and other travellers in the large expanse of Northern Australia that lacks reliable radio coverage of news, fire, and flood events that occur frequently on a seasonal basis in these vast areas.
The state of Queensland and the Northern Territory cover an area larger than Alaska, Texas, California and Nevada combined and are largely low density populated except the Eastern coastal areas of Queensland and the city of Darwin in the north of the Territory
At present during the day the only reliable English language signals are Radio New Zealand and "China Drive" out of Bejing and they can't provide local conditions coverage.
This may however provide some interesting DX for SW listeners.
There are no other details as to frequency, transmission power or location and does depend on the Australian Labor party winning govt, at present it is polling in a slight lead to the incumbent Liberal National Coalition.
I will post any new info as it occurs.
Ross.
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 03:53:47 AM »

It would be good to hear the "Waltzing Matilda" station ID back on the shortwave bands again. Australia's presence on the Shortwave bands would be most welcome. The Chinese garbage propaganda  verbal diarrhea that is spread from end of  shortwave  bands to the other  is sickening to listen to.

Its going to be a  massive investment in resources but anything that counters the Chinese Geo-political  corruption. Maybe the USA will consider bringing back VOA with a megawatt signal. It would be much easier these days with antennas like ALISS arrays that are compact, rotatable and high gain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ALLISS

I was hoping to pick one ALISS antenna from a scrap metal yard one day! Talk about the ultimate ham antenna!

OH6I

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 11:50:10 PM »

Zenki, maybe you some day win in Eurojackpot and order brand new ALLISS antenna!
After that you have strongest ham radio signal in Europe! Grin

Jari
OH6I
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 04:56:24 PM »

I've been through some rural parts of Texas, one town that didn't have a gas station.  The closest one was 20 miles away. In western TX,when I wasn't near a city,I could only get 2 AM stations.  Of course that's better than nothing.  I can't imagine being in the Northern Territory or western areas.  What do you folks do if you need medical attention or an emergency? I guess you better have a Dr nearby if there's no hospital.
W2EAF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 06:13:02 PM »

I hope they correct this horrible mistake! Australia (and the world) needs this station back!
VK6HP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 08:04:15 PM »

Royal Flying Doctor Service:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Flying_Doctor_Service_of_Australia

Significant developments in HF radio.  A few examples at:

https://www.samhs.org.au/Virtual%20Museum/hospital-andother-orgs/rfds-wireless/flying-doctor-radio.htm

[What do you folks do if you need medical attention or an emergency? I guess you better have a Dr nearby if there's no hospital.
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 10:22:51 PM »

Thanks for that info. That's very interesting. I'm glad that's available in those areas. [ /b]
RENTON481

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 01:27:03 AM »

Looks like the Australian Labor Party did not win, and my Oz friends say that there is even talk of the domestic ABC facing staff cuts.

So, it looks like the idea of the return of Australian government sponsored SW broadcasting sort of bit the dust?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: