The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FTdx-101D Tops Sherwood Chart  (Read 6637 times)
N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2019, 08:06:51 AM »

A worse rig to operate then the FT-991 I never had or heard of.

Fish finders are great if you want to catch fish.
I find them a must have to find signals on big empty bands, or quickly find spaces to operate.
Others may have plenty of time to spin knobs back and forth for hours trying to find a signal, I would rather just look at the screen.

I really don't think the chart is important if the radio is on the 1st two or three pages, its more about operating a radio for me.
The 991 could have the worlds best performance and you could not give one to me...
KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2019, 09:38:03 AM »

Now that the FT101D is out there are a few nice video's on the radio, its like the 3000 was and I mean in the add copy it looked kind of funky but in real life its nicer.
N6YFM

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2019, 11:01:27 AM »

...But what about the transmitter IMD performance.?

Sherwood needs to produce a transmitter performance chart to give a complete picture.

Hi Zenki:

No!   Sherwood does not need to.   He is not a public service company and is not paid for his testing
by us users buying subscriptions.   He tests a small set of specifications that are interesting to him,
and he does it very well.

If a different person is passionately interested in calibrated S-meters and transmitter IMD, then THAT person
is free to start a testing website and do all the requied work and expense.

Let's try to avoid making it sound like possibly it is Sherwood's duty to publish any and all specs that
interest us.    Not his job :-)    But other people could, and SHOULD, start additional website testing
charts, *IF* it interests them.

Cheers
N6YFM

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2019, 11:04:22 AM »

With a clean Transmitter and a calibrated S-meter it would have been a perfect radio.

The Japanese dont seem to want to understand the point that the big advantage of the SDR direct sampling platform that producing a radio with a calibrated S-meter  is something that is very easy to do. A good example is the Icom IC7610, I wonder what was so hard to put in 5 lines of code  to make sure that the S-meter was accurate?

Many hams cant seems to comprehend why a calibrated s-meter is so useful today. With direct sampling receivers it would be very easy to measure and quantify  illegal radiated sources and report these with great accuracy. It would easy for manufacturers to define a 9khz EMC filter bandwidth while providing a quasi peak meter in a menu option. These levels could be reported   when used with a suitable active antenna such as a vertical  or loop.  Hams have always been about exploiting what technology has to offer, burying this technology because so  many hams dont understand the science is not good enough reason to do so.

Yaesu points the way: Passive filter ahead of the R.F. stage, state of the art mixer[apparently] and dds, and direct sampling of the first I.F. Their offering is at the top of Sherwood's list without sacrificing general coverage, not to forget to mention that op's like the 3D display. Kudos to Yaesu!!

There are a wide range of desires and choices in the market.
If you can't understand why no other hams are "pounding the drum" for Transmitter IMD and S-Meter accuracy
improvements, maybe you would benefit from starting a survey on e-ham, and tally up how many hams
vote vs. how many actually care about S-meter and transmitter IMD improvements?
That would give you an "interest percentage".

Cheers
N6YFM

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2019, 11:16:08 AM »

FT-DX101D...3,995.00 delivered to your door. Japanese radios are great when you get up into that price range. Great receivers, comfortable to listen to. Problem is anything in the 1000 to 2000 dollar range where the receivers are crap.

Simply NOT true.   Fake news.
The Icom-7300 is a $1000 Japanese radio with very good receive capability.
But don't expect ANY $1,000 radio to equal the performance of [pick one],
perhaps the Icom-7851 (at it's associated cost).
That has nothing to do with what country builds the radio.  Performance costs.
Take a look at Detroit cars.

But maybe you are just a "hater"?   The Japanese are making some very good
radios.  Frankly, their radio, electronics, and camera technology are world leading.

Good day.
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2019, 11:40:19 AM »

Imagine a hamradio world with only Elecraft and Flex as manufacturers. It would be a bad one in my opinion.

Lest anybody think I'm against them (Elecraft and Flex), not at all. They, their founders, actually put their money where their mouths were, and built businesses to compete with the established Japanese firms. In the process, they forced the competition to shape up as well.

I doubt many of the 'armchair designers' on eham/QRZ would do that. Lastly, customer feedback is very important, but only up to a point.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 11:42:34 AM by VA3VF » Logged
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2019, 01:54:21 PM »

With a clean Transmitter and a calibrated S-meter it would have been a perfect radio.

Hey Zenki, we'll start taking you seriously when you start using a call sign on here like everyone else. Until then, you're just an outsider.

What do you have to hide? Do you actually have a call sign or are you just a wannabe?
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2019, 04:06:18 PM »

Hey Zenki, we'll start taking you seriously when you start using a call sign on here like everyone else. Until then, you're just an outsider.

What do you have to hide? Do you actually have a call sign or are you just a wannabe?

Sometimes it is hard to take someone with a callsign seriously. I been on eHam forever and there has been much untrue crap being posted by hams with callsigns. As long as eHam allows alias and does little to no moderating we are free to post our views with an alias or with our callsign. Including Zenki who occasionally is mildly interesting.

I can fully understand why a ham would want to use an alias instead of a callsign. I myself have taken considerable abuse over the years from hams that do not agree with me. Nasty emails, including death threats and even one British ham that wished me dead right here in this forum. I even had one long hateful Topic thread (that was deleted later) devoted to Banning me from posting on eHam. I am still here.

I still use my callsign when posting because I have the balls to post truths, and opinions that others may not like. I live in America. I will not hide my true identity because of hams attacking me.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 04:15:32 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
NI8R

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2019, 04:28:42 PM »

Stan, i thought you liked being attacked. Why else would anyone post here Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Greg

[/quote]

Sometimes it is hard to take someone with a callsign seriously. I been on eHam forever and there has been much untrue crap being posted by hams with callsigns. As long as eHam allows alias and does little to no moderating we are free to post our views with an alias or with our callsign. Including Zenki who occasionally is mildly interesting.

I can fully understand why a ham would want to use an alias instead of a callsign. I myself have taken considerable abuse over the years from hams that do not agree with me. Nasty emails, including death threats and even one British ham that wished me dead right here in this forum. I even had one long hateful Topic thread (that was deleted later) devoted to Banning me from posting on eHam. I am still here.

I still use my callsign when posting because I have the balls to post truths, and opinions that others may not like. I live in America. I will not hide my true identity because of hams attacking me.

Stan K9IUQ
[/quote]
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2019, 04:42:47 PM »

Stan, i thought you liked being attacked. Why else would anyone post here Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Greg

Well Greg it is like this. Posting here on eHam is like banging my head against a wall. It hurts like heck but when I stop banging, it feels sooo good.  Smiley

Plus I have many Flexradio Owners here who would miss me if I stopped posting on the SDR forum from time to time.  Wink

Greg, you are a ham who always seems to have the latest and greatest radios. Being a millionaire Alpaca farmer probably has something to do with that.  Smiley What do YOU think of the new offerings from Yaesu, Kenwood and the Icom 7610.

Are you ready to buy something new?

Stan K9IUQ
VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2019, 09:50:39 PM »

Now that the FT101D is out there are a few nice video's on the radio, its like the 3000 was and I mean in the add copy it looked kind of funky but in real life its nicer.

Even the videos don't do it justice, and I say that having produced one of them!

Sitting in front of the FTdx101D is something else; it actually /feels/ amazing and I can honestly state that until you've sat in front of one of them you haven't got a clue what the radio is actually like.  Photos do it no justice at all (it doesn't fit the 2/3rds convention), and Videos whilst a bit better are not 3D.

People will laugh, but that 'big knob' really does feel lovely in the hand...

Even though I have absolutely no need for one and would never sell my Icom IC-7610 to buy one... I'm sitting here thinking 'well maybe if I took leftovers to work for a while and didn't buy chocolate at the servo'...

That is how nice it feels to sit in front of.

As for the architecture, well, its not an SDR like an ANAN, Flex or Icom.  But who cares? It beats them all.

J.D. Mitchell BA  - VK3BL / XU7AGA - https://www.youtube.com/ratemyradio - Honesty & Integrity
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2019, 12:29:53 AM »

my initial reaction was the same as yours: this is going to take the Flex fanbois down a notch or two.  Cheesy

It is going to do more than that IMO. There are many hams who think the Sherwood list is some kinda holy grail and will buy the Top O' The List just for bragging rites. Yeah I misspelled rights on purpose.....

This does not bode well for Flexradio who has enjoyed the Top O' The List for years. It IS gonna cost them sales. Just like the Icom 7300 cost Flexradio many SDR sales.

Since the Yaesu FTDX 101D is not a true 100% SDR but a hybrid, this will hurt Flex Lover egos even more. I suspect that Flexradio has had its day in the sun. Bleak times ahead for Flexers, time to dump that Flexradio Jerry and upgrade your FT-5000.   Grin

Flexradio no longer rules SDRs and is no longer Top O' The List

Stan K9IUQ

According to a footnote the Flex 6700 has not been near the top of the Sherwood list since 2017 when something changed with regard to the preamp or something... if the Flex is moved down the list the best topology is direct sampling of a single conversion IF at 9MHz followed by two double conversion designs that sample at very low frequency IF's, and a lowly Tayloe conversion unit. The direct sampling stuff is fully two S Units down from the top but they have great bandscope capabilities and the Flex has multiple slices and all... if a homebrewer could figure out how to squeeze one S Unit improvement out of a Tayloe design they could have a rx equal to the FTdx-101D with regard to close spaced signal rejection with hardware parts cost < $50...

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2019, 07:47:12 AM »

What is not clear on the FTDX101D is do you have to add two VC tune units per each receiver at the tune of $329 each, two 300Hz roofing filters per each RX section and here again two 1.2khz narrow SSB roofing filters per each RX sections and they are $259 each filter. Now I am not sure what how much they are going to charge for the shack Lan interface and whatever remote software will cost, seems like this new Yaesu will be closer to around $6k fully loaded but someone who owns one should chime in cause the web info is not that clear yet.
When you look at how almost complete the 7610 is at $3K and maybe the remote software at $150 or the remote RC28 second VFO is $250 is almost a bargain.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2019, 08:23:53 AM »

What is not clear on the FTDX101D is do you have to add two VC tune units per each receiver at the tune of $329 each,

When you look at how almost complete the 7610 is at $3K and maybe the remote software at $150 or the remote RC28 second VFO is $250 is almost a bargain.

It IS clear if a ham reads the FTDX-101D manual available as free download from Yaesu. The VC-tune is an option on the sub RX. You post like a Icom fanboy.

Probably the ham that purchases a FTDX-101D is not looking for a bargain. He is looking for top performance.
If a ham wants a bargain - he buys a 7300 or TS-590.  $3K plus for ham radios is not bargain territory.

Stan K9IUQ
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2019, 09:58:51 AM »

What is not clear on the FTDX101D is do you have to add two VC tune units per each receiver at the tune of $329 each, two 300Hz roofing filters per each RX section and here again two 1.2khz narrow SSB roofing filters per each RX sections and they are $259 each filter. Now I am not sure what how much they are going to charge for the shack Lan interface and whatever remote software will cost, seems like this new Yaesu will be closer to around $6k fully loaded but someone who owns one should chime in cause the web info is not that clear yet.

The FTdx-101MP 200 watt version comes fully loaded. The price is TBA at this point but I'd guess it will be ~$5500

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: