The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FTdx-101D Tops Sherwood Chart  (Read 6617 times)
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2019, 01:14:50 PM »

my initial reaction was the same as yours: this is going to take the Flex fanbois down a notch or two.  Cheesy

It is going to do more than that IMO. There are many hams who think the Sherwood list is some kinda holy grail and will buy the Top O' The List just for bragging rites. Yeah I misspelled rights on purpose.....

This does not bode well for Flexradio who has enjoyed the Top O' The List for years. It IS gonna cost them sales. Just like the Icom 7300 cost Flexradio many SDR sales.

Since the Yaesu FTDX 101D is not a true 100% SDR but a hybrid, this will hurt Flex Lover egos even more. I suspect that Flexradio has had its day in the sun. Bleak times ahead for Flexers, time to dump that Flexradio Jerry and upgrade your FT-5000.   Grin

Flexradio no longer rules SDRs and is no longer Top O' The List

Stan K9IUQ

According to a footnote the Flex 6700 has not been near the top of the Sherwood list since 2017 when something changed with regard to the preamp or something... if the Flex is moved down the list the best topology is direct sampling of a single conversion IF at 9MHz followed by two double conversion designs that sample at very low frequency IF's, and a lowly Tayloe conversion unit. The direct sampling stuff is fully two S Units down from the top but they have great bandscope capabilities and the Flex has multiple slices and all... if a homebrewer could figure out how to squeeze one S Unit improvement out of a Tayloe design they could have a rx equal to the FTdx-101D with regard to close spaced signal rejection with hardware parts cost < $50...

I think Flex shot themselves in the foot when they rushed the Flex 6600M and 6400M to compete with the Icom 7610.  If you really look at the specs for the Flex 6600, it has poor sensitivity and AGC action compared to the less expensive Icom.  In fact, the only thing it really has going for it is the display.  Flex radio caters to the eye candy crowd because quite frankly, the performance in several areas is just not that good when compared to the Icom 7610, the Kenwood TS-890S, and now the FTDX-101D.  When a home brewer does figure out a way to squeeze a few more DB out of a Flex unit I will be a believer.  That is unfortunately, not very likely,  since a good bit of the operating system firmware is proprietary to Flex.
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2019, 02:00:53 PM »

I can fully understand why a ham would want to use an alias instead of a callsign.

I can't. At least Slashdot, which also allows anonymous posting, gives these people an appropriate name: Anonymous Coward.
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2019, 02:25:40 PM »

At least Slashdot, which also allows anonymous posting, gives these people an appropriate name: Anonymous Coward.
Really? LOL

I don't know I would go that far. Better not to allow those kind of posts, end of story.
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2019, 02:30:49 PM »

FT-DX101D...3,995.00 delivered to your door. Japanese radios are great when you get up into that price range. Great receivers, comfortable to listen to. Problem is anything in the 1000 to 2000 dollar range where the receivers are crap.

Simply NOT true.   Fake news.
The Icom-7300 is a $1000 Japanese radio with very good receive capability.
But don't expect ANY $1,000 radio to equal the performance of [pick one],
perhaps the Icom-7851 (at it's associated cost).
That has nothing to do with what country builds the radio.  Performance costs.
Take a look at Detroit cars.

But maybe you are just a "hater"?   The Japanese are making some very good
radios.  Frankly, their radio, electronics, and camera technology are world leading.

Good day.
I'm not a hater at all but I call them like I see them. It's not just about the specs or as you put it "good receive capability" It's about listener comfort. I worked in the ham radio industry for years and got to see and hear the latest and greatest as soon as they came out. Side by side comparisons were easy. Based on those years of experience as well as experiences with the many rigs I've owned, I can say that most every radio from the "big three" which is under, now, about the 2K range is fatiguing to listen to for any long periods of time, not to mention other issues like birdies and such. The higher dollar radios never produce the fatigue for me the lower end ones do. I thought that was just the way it was till I owned a Flex 1500 and realized that someone had produced a relatively inexpensive radio that was as comfortable to listen to as the high end radios. That's what my bias, if it could even be called that, is about. Of course, it's all my opinion, which last I checked I'm entitled to, but it's an opinion based on years of experience. YMMV and probably will. Good day to you too!
KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2019, 02:31:59 PM »

Stan, I do own a 7610 but I am not a Fan Boy, I skimmed the FTDX101D manual but it was more for what they were divulging as specs and set up, you seem to think that the specs on this radio is going to maybe bring new light on the QSO's you might have with it but bottom line unless your station has multiple stacked mono band beams on 100' plus towers and full sized 4 SQR on 75 and 160 that the Icom is like a tonka toy. If you are blessed with a antenna farm full of big beams and directional array the differences in spec just might make that subtle difference but I think not, its all about how you feel about the extra's it brings to the table and #3K for a radio is not cheap but if you want to compare apples to apples to bring both RX sections up to what would be called state of the art you need the second VC unit and both RX sections loaded with the optional roofing filters so that brings up the $4k price a bit more, still allot better buy than a K3s which will be slowly sitting in muddy waters.
To answer your question about Fan Boy, hell I used to be that way about Yaesu but sorry no more until they start cleaning up the way the design there ALC system and track there PA bias cause when you look at spectral purity the Anan is number one and the Icom and then Flex rigs are second and third everything else has laged including the 890S, its better than the Yaesu's 5K and 3K but this new puppy needs to get tested by the ARRL lab so we will see, I hope they did there homework as well on the TX side.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2019, 03:54:24 PM »

Stan, I do own a 7610 but I am not a Fan Boy,

you seem to think that the specs on this radio is going to maybe bring new light on the QSO's you might have with it

I like Icoms, have had many and presently own a 7600. I am not an Icom fan boy. I knock them when they deserve it.

Any radio I might buy is NOT going to bring new light on any QSOes. I just am ready for a new radio. I have the $$ and the urge but can not decide which to get.  The FTDX-101D is very new and Yaesu has the worst reputation concerning new adopters. The Kenwood TS-890s is very attractive but only has one Rx. Also the lack of an included Microphone REALLY disturbs me. It is the principle. Ham Radios should always include a hand mic. The 7610 is interesting but until I can be positive the screen issue is solved I will not consider one.

So I am at a stand still right now. I can wait and will wait on a purchase unless a deal comes up I can not pass up.

Stan K9IUQ
NI8R

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2019, 04:48:11 PM »

Stan, i thought you liked being attacked. Why else would anyone post here Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Greg

Well Greg it is like this. Posting here on eHam is like banging my head against a wall. It hurts like heck but when I stop banging, it feels sooo good.  Smiley

Plus I have many Flexradio Owners here who would miss me if I stopped posting on the SDR forum from time to time.  Wink

Greg, you are a ham who always seems to have the latest and greatest radios. Being a millionaire Alpaca farmer probably has something to do with that.  Smiley What do YOU think of the new offerings from Yaesu, Kenwood and the Icom 7610.

Are you ready to buy something new?

Stan K9IUQ

Well , Stan, its true. I can afford any radio i want. Being a Multi multi makes that an easy feat. I am done buying rigs for a while. Everyone know its the antenna doing all the work.

I spend a lot of my time using my oak hills research qrp rigs, i have the ohr 500 and a few 100a's and some decked out spirits.
The big sleeper in all of this is the software that is developed by expert electronics for the sun sdr products and the companion tci software.
The radio is also great with nice transmit chain.

I have the icom 7851 which i would love to see side by side with the 101d, if the 101d does not have 24 bit audio, i would guess 7851 would make it seem cheap.

The real champion is the Anan 7000dle mk2. No radio will compete with the receive due to the complex dsp code. the pure signal even gets zenki's seal of approval.

Stan , i dont need anymore radios, lets hope i stay away from xenia.

Greg ni8r
KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2019, 07:03:51 PM »

Hey Stan I agree, just within the year warranty my display started to get that burn in look and to be honest ever since new the display did not have that black background dynamic contrast level like the 7300 had. The replacement display has that ultra black background and look jet black just like the 7300 did so I agree Icom has to get behind this issue but the radio itself is really a good value per dollar in today's market, there will always be a slightly better radio but for the asking price is dam good.
I remember back in 1998 I had a new FT1000MP which was just over a year old, I used a pair of them in contesting and the newer one which was so much better than the one with the 96 date code it wasn't funny, it was getting all kinds of interference when the radio was on another band, any band and the newer one had none. I called HRO then Yaesu and a week before that 98CQWW phone I had a new FT1000MP delivered to my door that Friday from Yaesu with PIN diodes in the band pass filter network which the newer serial number already had which fixed that issue. Great job on Yaesu's part back then but I don't think they would be doing that today but Icom should learn some lessons and put this display issue to bed.   
N6YFM

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2019, 09:38:46 AM »

Stan, I do own a 7610 but I am not a Fan Boy,

you seem to think that the specs on this radio is going to maybe bring new light on the QSO's you might have with it

I like Icoms, have had many and presently own a 7600. I am not an Icom fan boy. I knock them when they deserve it.

Any radio I might buy is NOT going to bring new light on any QSOes. I just am ready for a new radio. I have the $$ and the urge but can not decide which to get.  The FTDX-101D is very new and Yaesu has the worst reputation concerning new adopters. The Kenwood TS-890s is very attractive but only has one Rx. Also the lack of an included Microphone REALLY disturbs me. It is the principle. Ham Radios should always include a hand mic. The 7610 is interesting but until I can be positive the screen issue is solved I will not consider one.

So I am at a stand still right now. I can wait and will wait on a purchase unless a deal comes up I can not pass up.

Stan K9IUQ

regarding the Icom 7610 screens;
The Japanese are not a culture that will release news about a mistake like the screen problem on the 7610, or the
prior PA design issue (grounding strap needed) inside the Yaesu FT-991 that blew finals before 2014.  Instead, they
will silently fix the issue and continue building rigs.  You not only will NOT hear anything from them, it will be close
to impossible to ever find out what they changed or did.

Personally, I think the Icom 7610 would be perfect for you, especially since simple mention of word Flex pisses you off.
The Icom is a great rig.  No vendor could have predicted that their display supplier would let them down.
But I can guarantee that Icom is pissed, and takes the issue VERY seriously, and will, or has already, solved it.

I would say;  Watch for new forum posts of display problems to dwindle away.  At that point, Icom likely has solved
the issue, and you would be safe to purchase the 7610.  That is the only information we will get.

Also, the new Yaesu looks like a fine choice.    I don't think you could go wrong buying one.
You could even use your older Flex as a support pedestal to put the Yaesu on top of :-)

Like sherwood himself has previously said, most of the rigs on the first few pages work just fine.

Until we get some uptick in the sunspot solar cycle, not sure it matters which transceiver you buy
at all;  more important is pairing it with a 50 KiloWatt transmitter :-)

Neal
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 09:42:00 AM by N6YFM » Logged
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2019, 10:04:48 AM »

Personally, I think the Icom 7610 would be perfect for you, especially since simple mention of word Flex pisses you off.

You could even use your older Flex as a support pedestal to put the Yaesu on top of :-)

Until we get some uptick in the sunspot solar cycle, not sure it matters which transceiver you buy
at all;  more important is pairing it with a 50 KiloWatt transmitter :-)

Neal

Neal, you got it backwards, I mention the word Flexradio in a post and the Flex Lovers get pissed.

I am so over my Flexradio experience. I no longer have a Flexradio and never will have another one. Also I will never buy another radio that requires a computer to use. I want knobs and buttons, the more the better.

I admit I do yank the Flex Lover Chain from time to time,it is merely for entertainment as I know how rabid and silly the Flex Lovers can get towards me. They never change. I do not hate Flexradio nor do I hate the Flex Lovers.

You are correct the 7610 would be a good fit for me and the bands suck so much that the K index was 7 today. Dead Bands. Dead Radios. Why buy a new one?

Stan K9IUQ

K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2019, 11:36:42 AM »

Why buy a new one?

Stan K9IUQ

Because they're out there...something new and exciting to play with in the shack. We all get that "itch", whether we need it or not Smiley. Human nature. Buy one and enjoy it...you only live once, and you never know what's around the corner health-wise. At 73, I just got over treatment for a life-threatening illness (with a chance of relapse), and boy has my attitude changed!

Bob K7JQ
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2019, 11:52:54 AM »

I am so over my Flexradio experience. I no longer have a Flexradio and never will have another one. Also I will never buy another radio that requires a computer to use. I want knobs and buttons, the more the better.

Stan K9IUQ

When did this happen? I feel blindsided.

Just kidding.   Cheesy
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2019, 04:54:10 PM »

I still have to chuckle when I think back on the post I saw in the Flex forum when I was first considering buying one. It was something to the effect of how spectacular the 5K was. It was a small part of what influenced me to buy one. That post was by none other than "Stan the Man". Then someone at Flex peed in his cornflakes and he became the salty old fart we all know and love. Well, some of you love him I guess! Anyway, wasn't this a Yaesu thread? Yaesu, the people you buy a radio from and six months later they improve it to the "A" model and want to charge you 500 bucks plus shipping for the upgrade. They also use second rate crap finals. Do yourselves a favor and buy a Kenwood, Elecraft or dare I say, a Flex. Y'all have a nice day! Grin
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 05:08:18 PM by W4HIJ » Logged
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2019, 05:29:21 PM »

I still have to chuckle when I think back on the post I saw in the Flex forum when I was first considering buying one.

Yaesu, the people you buy a radio from and six months later they improve it to the "A" model and want to charge you 500 bucks plus shipping for the upgrade. They also use second rate crap finals.

Michael, you ain't changed a bit in 9 years. Still Grumpy. Still bashing Jap radios, K9IUQ and plugging Flexes.  Cheesy Cheesy
Yeah, I remember you, and WB6RQN Brian and many others on this SDR forum many years ago. What fun we had, especially with Brian. He gave up on Flexradios finally, he got too many truths from me I guess. I miss him, he was very intelligent and never nasty even tho he was a Flex Lover and the First Official Flexradio Ambassador.

I have to agree with you on Yaesu. They did a bum deal on the first adopters of the FT-991. I guess you bought one and they peed in your cornflakes? This is one reason why I have not jumped on the FTDX-101D bandwagon yet. Yaesu has a history with first adopters and it ain't good..

Your old friend
Stan K9IUQ

« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 05:33:24 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2019, 10:09:03 PM »

Yeah, I remember you, and WB6RQN Brian and many others on this SDR forum many years ago. What fun we had, especially with Brian. He gave up on Flexradios finally, he got too many truths from me I guess. I miss him, he was very intelligent and never nasty even tho he was a Flex Lover and the First Official Flexradio Ambassador.

Those really were fun threads. And I agree about Brian, his debating style is sorely missed.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: