The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FTdx-101D Tops Sherwood Chart  (Read 7258 times)
W6UV

Ignore
« on: May 10, 2019, 07:55:31 AM »

For those who care about such things, Rob Sherwood posted the test results for the Yaesu FTdx-101D on his site at it tops the list.

http://www.sherweng.com/table.html
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 08:50:58 AM »

For those who care about such things, Rob Sherwood posted the test results for the Yaesu FTdx-101D

Personally I have never used Sherwoods List to determine what radio I should buy.

However the Flexradio (and Elecraft) Lovers egos just got bruised.  Wink Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 08:59:36 AM »

Personally I have never used Sherwoods List to determine what radio I should buy.

Neither have I, but my initial reaction was the same as yours: this is going to take the Flex fanbois down a notch or two.  Cheesy
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 10:24:49 AM »

my initial reaction was the same as yours: this is going to take the Flex fanbois down a notch or two.  Cheesy

It is going to do more than that IMO. There are many hams who think the Sherwood list is some kinda holy grail and will buy the Top O' The List just for bragging rites. Yeah I misspelled rights on purpose.....

This does not bode well for Flexradio who has enjoyed the Top O' The List for years. It IS gonna cost them sales. Just like the Icom 7300 cost Flexradio many SDR sales.

Since the Yaesu FTDX 101D is not a true 100% SDR but a hybrid, this will hurt Flex Lover egos even more. I suspect that Flexradio has had its day in the sun. Bleak times ahead for Flexers, time to dump that Flexradio Jerry and upgrade your FT-5000.   Grin

Flexradio no longer rules SDRs and is no longer Top O' The List

Stan K9IUQ

« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 10:36:39 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 10:54:33 AM »

Good for Yaesu, something had to give cause the trench Motorola placed Yaesu in for years was not fairing too well for them. It would be interesting to see the full lab number on this new puppy and maybe a full ARRL lab report as well before I sell off my 7610 plus see how the radio fairs as far as reliability goes.
KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 11:02:47 AM »

The Flex guys will not be selling off there radio's anytime soon cause nothing does remote operational control as easy as the Flex does, they are just down rite flexible plus they do have very good performance. The Icom user's are second runner up when it comes to the remote ability but there down side is there software is a real PITA for bout half the user's out there, once working it works well but no I phone connectivity and if Icom cared about that sector of the market they would spend some R&D into an easier software that was more plug n play. The Kenwood is kind of like the 590SG was, maybe slightly easier than the Icom but just never really had taken off cause I hear allot more Icom's doing remote then Kenwood but the Yaesu I have no idea if they have any plans at all and leave it seem up to some third party botch job.
The Yaesu does have more button which is nice but its all in how easily it is to operate!
KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 11:19:07 AM »

Not only did the birth of the 7300 cost Flex sales but Icom has been kicking but on Elecraft since the 7300 came out, yes the K3 has better numbers but between being one of the ugliest radios in the marketplace and being a real PITA to use then here comes the 7300, decent performance, full spectrum/waterfall display and ease of use all for around a kilobuck, Icom spanked Elecraft all the way to the bank on this one. They did what the original K3 did when it first came out but for less money.
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 11:19:52 AM »

The Flex guys will not be selling off there radio's anytime soon cause nothing does remote operational control as easy as the Flex does

I have zero interest in remote operation (and I suspect most hams fall into this category). I'm looking for performance and ergonomics.

The thing that bothers me about Yaesu, however, is their infrequent FW updates and their handling of issues with their rigs (for example, the issues with the OLED subdisplays on the FTdx-5000).
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 12:01:10 PM »

Looks like +1 for Yaesu in topping the Sherwood list, for those who care. That ranking might let the FTDX-101D maintain its initial price point of approximately $4,000, without the usual big drop after it's been out for a while, as other manufacturers commonly do. What remains to be seen is its ergonomic usability and reliability. Lots of eye-candy on this one. I agree, remote operation is a niche market feature.
KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 02:00:23 PM »

The main reason Icom came out with remote software was not to compete with Flex but for computer rig control in the first place, then once that had developed that it grew from that point on and I think with Flex it was something they developed early on cause there radio's need a computer to work in the first place so making the remote ability was an easy fix. Its not the main selling point with the Icom but hams do use the software and with the 7610 there is no need for a computer at the radio end cause it has a built in server for this but need at the other end for control. There is no mention if the Yaesu will have any of this built in so I would assume you must use some aftermarket jury rig device.
Yaesu being on the top of Sherwoods list is a + for them but almost every company with a new rig has its growing pains but I hope Yaesu changes how there firmware is loaded onto the radio cause the 5000 and 3000 were a real PITA were the Icom was a walk in the park.
I think the next Icom rig might be a surprise as far as price range and ability but its maybe two years away but I will say that this new Yaesu will really hurt the Kenwood 890S cause if the numbers are this good Kenwoods statement radio just ran out of steam, it clearly is no as good of an investment when looking at the playing field today.
K7FD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 02:08:45 PM »

The Sherwood ranking right before Dayton is sure to put pep in the step of Yaesu. That said, I made my purchase prior to any ranking. I just liked the looks of the rig in the ads I saw. I was a sucker for good marketing. But it appears I made lucky choice! So far, so good...

If you haven't downloaded the nice glossy brochure for the FTdx101D off yaesu.com, you should. Lots of interesting info in there...

73 John K7FD
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2019, 04:05:37 PM »

I will say that this new Yaesu will really hurt the Kenwood 890S cause if the numbers are this good Kenwoods statement radio just ran out of steam, it clearly is no as good of an investment when looking at the playing field today.

I will say the Icom 7610 statement radio just ran outta steam too as the 7610 is rated under the TS-890S. On top of that the 7610 screen issue is making MANY prospective buyers pause. Gotta wonder if all those 7610s in the dealers warehouse have the new screens OR not. Icom won't say and buyers are sayin I will just wait. And along comes the new kid on the block named FTDX101D and all those prospective Icom 7610 buyers (like K9IUQ)  are saying WHOA, glad I waited.

Used Icom 7610's are going to be more common than 7300s on the used market..
Damn, there goes your investment in the 7610,
Since when are hamradios investments?
LMAO

Stan K9IUQ

« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 04:14:00 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2019, 05:38:51 PM »

Used Icom 7610's are going to be more common than 7300s on the used market..
Damn, there goes your investment in the 7610,
Since when are hamradios investments?
LMAO

Stan K9IUQ

I doubt it. Agreed, the screen issue will make people pause until it's definitely resolved. But a 7610 is still $1K cheaper, and not too shabby on its own.
Investments? No. But before the IC-7300 came out and killed the value of prior upper tier radios, resale prices weren't that bad for popular rigs.

Bob K7JQ
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2019, 05:45:38 PM »

However the Flexradio (and Elecraft) Lovers egos just got bruised.  Wink Cheesy
How true. Lots of grinding teeth and sobbing tonight. Wink
N8FNR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2019, 07:30:14 PM »

my initial reaction was the same as yours: this is going to take the Flex fanbois down a notch or two.  Cheesy

It is going to do more than that IMO. There are many hams who think the Sherwood list is some kinda holy grail and will buy the Top O' The List just for bragging rites. Yeah I misspelled rights on purpose.....

This does not bode well for Flexradio who has enjoyed the Top O' The List for years. It IS gonna cost them sales. Just like the Icom 7300 cost Flexradio many SDR sales.

Since the Yaesu FTDX 101D is not a true 100% SDR but a hybrid, this will hurt Flex Lover egos even more. I suspect that Flexradio has had its day in the sun. Bleak times ahead for Flexers, time to dump that Flexradio Jerry and upgrade your FT-5000.   Grin

Flexradio no longer rules SDRs and is no longer Top O' The List

Stan K9IUQ

Buy whatever you want. I am sure that the Yaesu is a great rig but I don't care what you own. I have never understood why you have a personal vendetta against Flex. This has gone on for years. A normal person would have moved on long ago.

Not like this is a Ford vs Chevy thing: https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2019/05/01/ford-chevy-shooting-virginia/3637905002/
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 07:50:40 PM by N8FNR » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: