The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FTdx-101D Tops Sherwood Chart  (Read 6662 times)
N8FNR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2019, 07:36:47 PM »

The Flex guys will not be selling off there radio's anytime soon cause nothing does remote operational control as easy as the Flex does

I have zero interest in remote operation (and I suspect most hams fall into this category). I'm looking for performance and ergonomics.

I use my Flex-6400 all of the time from a laptop in my living room and have 100% of the functionality as of I was in front of my rig. I can remotely control the rig, my KPA500, my Steppir and select 2 different 2 TX and 1 RX antenna. There is no downside to this. I thought that remote operation would be of no use to me but now I use it 90% of the time.
K6JH

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2019, 07:39:36 PM »

The Flex guys will not be selling off there radio's anytime soon cause nothing does remote operational control as easy as the Flex does, they are just down rite flexible plus they do have very good performance. The Icom user's are second runner up when it comes to the remote ability but there down side is there software is a real PITA for bout half the user's out there, once working it works well but no I phone connectivity and if Icom cared about that sector of the market they would spend some R&D into an easier software that was more plug n play. The Kenwood is kind of like the 590SG was, maybe slightly easier than the Icom but just never really had taken off cause I hear allot more Icom's doing remote then Kenwood but the Yaesu I have no idea if they have any plans at all and leave it seem up to some third party botch job.
The Yaesu does have more button which is nice but its all in how easily it is to operate!

Per the "FTDX Series Catalog" brochure Yaesu is planning a special adapter to connect the FTdx-101D to a LAN, and the internet. And it also shows PC remote control software.

Of course it remains to be seen when, if ever, Yaesu will come through - and at what price. But with the amount of effort put into the rest of the radio I'd be surprised if it wasn't a high priority. Time will tell whether the protocol is open enough to allow third party remote SW vendors in, like for Ipads, or IOS or Android phones.

It would have been nicer if they had built-in a lan jack and server software, but at least there is a pathway.

Jim K6JH
N8FNR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2019, 07:44:44 PM »

However the Flexradio (and Elecraft) Lovers egos just got bruised.  Wink Cheesy
How true. Lots of grinding teeth and sobbing tonight. Wink

So now I need to sell my Flex-6400 because the Yaesu has a RX that is a bit better? I am sure that the Yaesu is a great rig but this is so delusional. I would never go back to an old fashioned knob based rig. Right now I am using my 6400 from a laptop in my living room and can control my KPA500, a SteppIR and pick 2 different TX antennas and use an RX antenna, That sounds terrible. How can I get by with those limitations?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 07:53:23 PM by N8FNR » Logged
N8FNR

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2019, 07:56:02 PM »

Personally I have never used Sherwoods List to determine what radio I should buy.

Neither have I, but my initial reaction was the same as yours: this is going to take the Flex fanbois down a notch or two.  Cheesy

Isn't that also going to take the Kenwood and Elecraft users down a few notches? Why not gloat about that to? Don't that need to sell theit rigs too now?
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2019, 08:14:12 PM »

This is the kind of reaction that gives rise to all the jokes.

There are 'fanatics' for every brand, but some seem to have more than others. Ten-Tec used to be the main one, replaced by Elecraft and Flex.

I really do not understand why some people take these things so seriously. Roll Eyes

The jokes are in the FTdx thread, not in the Elecraft or Flex threads. Talk about looking to be 'offended'. Shocked

By the way, my last two radios have been Icom. Criticize and joke all you want about it, I'll be sound asleep. Grin
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 08:27:58 PM by VA3VF » Logged
K6BRN

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2019, 08:51:40 PM »

Yes.  Well.  Very nice that the Yaesu engineers have come up with an approach that leverages the best of both worlds.  Bravo!  As far as "being better than Flex".  Ummmm.  Who cares?  I mean, aren't ANY of these radios overkill for most (99.99%) operating.  Especially on FT8 and its new brother, FT4.

So... let's see what users say about how much FUN the FTDX-101D is (and the 200W version to follow).  That performance metric is not really on Sherwod's list. Once the early adopters debug the radio, I may take a closer look at it.  Just because I love toys, and well, an FTDX-101D would be a new toy.  In my use, I doubt its performance difference will be in any way discernable from the FTDX-3000 and FT-991s I'm already using.

The biggest benefits of the IC-7300, and what has KEPT it so popular, is #1 Ease of use.  It's intuitive, and #2 Price:  low.  The IC-7610 was hyped up to the max and had less of both.  Now its selling used for WAY less than its intro price.  Lots easier to sell an IC7300 than an IC-7610.

So... let's see what the FTDX-101D delivers - fun or frustration.

Either way - competition is GOOD!

Brian - K6BRN
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2019, 09:32:46 PM »

I mean, aren't ANY of these radios overkill for most (99.99%) operating.
If one is short one entity for induction into the DXCC Honor Roll, switches on the Elecraft: nothing. Then switches on the Flex, and works that last entity, then maybe there was a tangible difference.

For most operating, and users, it's just the radio equivalent of the 'blue pill'. Grin

If any of these radios can effectively neutralize tinnitus, I'll recant. Wink
N6YFM

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2019, 10:15:20 PM »

Personally I have never used Sherwoods List to determine what radio I should buy.

Yes, we agree on that.  But he does good testing and good work on his list.

However the Flexradio (and Elecraft) Lovers egos just got bruised.  Wink Cheesy
Stan K9IUQ

Not hardly.   I like my Flex, and I like my Icom and I like my Elecraft.
They are all nice radios,  but not my  "identity" or my "life" :-)

Cheers,

Neal
N6YFM

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2019, 10:23:24 PM »

my initial reaction was the same as yours: this is going to take the Flex fanbois down a notch or two.  Cheesy

It is going to do more than that IMO. There are many hams who think the Sherwood list is some kinda holy grail and will buy the Top O' The List just for bragging rites. Yeah I misspelled rights on purpose.....

This does not bode well for Flexradio who has enjoyed the Top O' The List for years. It IS gonna cost them sales. Just like the Icom 7300 cost Flexradio many SDR sales.

Since the Yaesu FTDX 101D is not a true 100% SDR but a hybrid, this will hurt Flex Lover egos even more. I suspect that Flexradio has had its day in the sun. Bleak times ahead for Flexers, time to dump that Flexradio Jerry and upgrade your FT-5000.   Grin

Flexradio no longer rules SDRs and is no longer Top O' The List

Stan K9IUQ

Yes, indeed.
Free Market Competition is a great thing for customers.   It was only obvious that the other vendors would
take notice and eventually leap-frog with new product ideas.   That is good for everyone and keeps
innovation alive.  Each vendor will always try to leap forward from the pack with each new product cycle.

So we finally have a second one of the "big three" releasing an SDR product. (It still counts, even as a hybrid).
The remaining mystery is;  Does HF life exist inside Kenwood HQ?   Or is Kenwood taking a break from
HF until Sunspots come back?  Or perhaps they can't hire SDR engineers?

Neal
N6YFM

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2019, 10:29:05 PM »

The Flex guys will not be selling off there radio's anytime soon cause nothing does remote operational control as easy as the Flex does

I have zero interest in remote operation (and I suspect most hams fall into this category). I'm looking for performance and ergonomics.

The thing that bothers me about Yaesu, however, is their infrequent FW updates and their handling of issues with their rigs (for example, the issues with the OLED subdisplays on the FTdx-5000).

Like I said;  Will not be selling my Flex any time soon :-)
And, the Flex HW has more than enough speed/power/capacity to hold a larger software load.
So they can "make a new radio" when they get better at adding features and fixes to the software.
Being a pure SDR, you don't really need new HW, you just need half a dozen new software updates.
[Which they do approx every 3 to 5 months, more often than my Icom gets them, and more
often than my previous Yaesu got them.

Neal
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 10:43:08 PM by N6YFM » Logged
N6YFM

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2019, 10:33:09 PM »

I will say that this new Yaesu will really hurt the Kenwood 890S cause if the numbers are this good Kenwoods statement radio just ran out of steam, it clearly is no as good of an investment when looking at the playing field today.

I will say the Icom 7610 statement radio just ran outta steam too as the 7610 is rated under the TS-890S. On top of that the 7610 screen issue is making MANY prospective buyers pause. Gotta wonder if all those 7610s in the dealers warehouse have the new screens OR not. Icom won't say and buyers are sayin I will just wait. And along comes the new kid on the block named FTDX101D and all those prospective Icom 7610 buyers (like K9IUQ)  are saying WHOA, glad I waited.

Used Icom 7610's are going to be more common than 7300s on the used market..
Damn, there goes your investment in the 7610,
Since when are hamradios investments?
LMAO

Stan K9IUQ

In fairness, it is too early to know.  What if Yaesu is buying their screens from the same factory as Icom.
Neither one of them is an LCD maker, they buy them from some third party.  Any radio maker could
have been bit by that one.

Neal
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 10:44:08 PM by N6YFM » Logged
N6YFM

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2019, 10:37:46 PM »

Neither have I, but my initial reaction was the same as yours: this is going to take the Flex fanbois down a notch or two.  Cheesy

Isn't that also going to take the Kenwood and Elecraft users down a few notches? Why not gloat about that to? Don't that need to sell theit rigs too now?

Because Stan has no bone to pick with Kenwood and Elecraft, but "runs a mighty and furious anti-Flex Jihad"
like his life depends on it.  But surely you already knew that?  Everyone on eHam does...
It's almost like Flex did terrible unspeakable things to Stan when he was a small child :-)

By the way;  The Yaesu looks like a fine rig.    Good work there...
N5PG

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2019, 10:39:00 PM »

Good for Yaesu, something had to give cause the trench Motorola placed Yaesu in for years was not fairing too well for them. It would be interesting to see the full lab number on this new puppy and maybe a full ARRL lab report as well before I sell off my 7610 plus see how the radio fairs as far as reliability goes.

I'm told the next QST has report on this new Yaesu Smiley
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2019, 10:49:33 PM »

I use my Flex-6400 all of the time from a laptop in my living room and have 100% of the functionality as of I was in front of my rig. I can remotely control the rig, my KPA500, my Steppir and select 2 different 2 TX and 1 RX antenna. There is no downside to this. I thought that remote operation would be of no use to me but now I use it 90% of the time.

Whatever floats your boat... I go down to my shack to get away from the hustle and bustle upstairs. I don't want to mix ham radio and other activities.
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2019, 10:53:27 PM »

I'm told the next QST has report on this new Yaesu Smiley

Nope. The report is on the new Kenwood.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: