The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Power supplies?  (Read 1163 times)
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2019, 03:54:27 PM »

Well Here is a different note for you. I have used an Astron supply for many decades.  Still have it, went thru and modified it for LED meter lighting when the weird incandescent bulbs burned out inside the meters. It is now on the test bench.  I am running both o my7300's off of Tekpower switchers.  no noise that I can find anywhere. Cheap, the fan NEVER has come on in either or if it has it is so quiet I can't hear it.  Each supply would run both rigs, and I have done that, but I decided it would be good to have a spare in service.  I have loathed switching power supplies for decades, but guys some of them can be made quiet. I have one for over a year and the other for 9 or 10 months.  No problems with either.  They stay cool, they don't make any kind of noise and they are small and lightweight.  I can put them and the rigs in a tool case for "show and tell".  I know.. hams don't let hams buy power supplys from Amazon, but I did!.  :0  Tek-Power TPS50SW

https://www.amazon.com/TekPower-TP50SW-Analog-Supply-Cigarette/dp/B00L5QU616/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_2?crid=1ZP04NFNY222S&keywords=tekpower+tp50sw&qid=1557941354&s=gateway&sprefix=tek+power%2Caps%2C487&sr=8-2-fkmrnull

What about the half dozen or so ONE star reviews, especially the one where the supply blew up
the guy's radio?   I guess we get what we pay for.   And if the supply has NO rf noise, then why
does it need a "noise offset potentiometer" on the front panel?

Thanks, I will stick with Astron, both for linear and switchers.

Cheers

I don't know why it has the Noise offset pot.  Because it has NO Rf noise. I searched from DC to Daylight.  I also cannot say anything about the 1 star reviews.  Mine would be a 5 star review out of 5.  For two of these things. Oh, come to think of it a friend of mine bought one about a year before I bought the first one, and he has it on his 7300, and now 7610. What can I say. I am keeping my Astron RS35M too. It looks nicer than it has ever looked over on the test bench shelf with its new K0UA Led modification.  Really spiffy. If you want a photo I would be very happy to send you one.  And like I said, I was a switcher hater too, Loath would be a better word, "never saw one of them SOB's that didn't have noise etc"  I am telling you these SOB's don't have noise.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2019, 04:00:50 PM »

And further, the switchers NEVER get hot. The switchers are just so much more energy efficient.  Not something I can say about the Astron.  Running digital modes with even 1 rig on the RS35M it would get very toasty.  So toasty in fact I put external muffing fins over the heat sinks pointing up to draw air for more cooling.  I took them off when I moved it to the workbench as all testing over there will more of an intermittent nature..I just can't say anything bad about these Chinese switchers. I may change my tune when they blow up, but knock knock. so far so good.
N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2019, 06:41:19 PM »

I've got an Astron VS-50M, but got it for a song. I keep a 240 fan running on 120 on it all the time. It's been on for about 13 years now with no problems. But if I actually had to buy one, I think I'd buy one of those 50A Asian switchers off ebay for about $50 and add all the protection I could and put it in another box with proper shielding, etc. It's pretty easy to add your own protection these days.
2E0FGO

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2019, 10:24:24 AM »

I use an Alinco DM-330MW which has been very good.  It's a switched mode supply and I got it when I got my first radio.  I was seeing about S6 of noise on my radio, and like many I thought it was the power supply.  My fears were reinforced when I noticed a continuous 57kHz of spike coming out of the supply, but only 40mV peak to peak.

Turned out the PSU had nothing to do with my noise problem.  A wallwart in the next room was causing S3 of noise, and with all power to the house cut and running my radio off a battery, I still see S3 of noise.

Based on my 5 months of use, I have no problem recommending the Alinco DM-330MW.  It's well made, has adjustable voltage and a switchable volt/ammeter.  Max output is 30A.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2019, 02:37:50 PM »

Astron Linear. Bulletproof, and easy to fix when they are not bulletproof
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2019, 08:33:32 PM »

The problem with Astrom linear supplies is when they fail the pass transistors short and go to full rail voltage of 22 volts dC. Now you hope the Zener crow bar will blow the fuse. Sometime they do and sometime your radio is the fuse.

I use a IOTA 90 amp switch mode supply charging a Lithoum Ion 60 amp battery for the station. No worries.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2019, 08:44:42 PM »

What?  I thought you said they were bulletproof.
N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2019, 08:11:22 PM »

No brainer IMO. Buy an Astron RS-35A at HRO for $179 shipped. Best price anywhere. Unlike other warning post, the Astron has an over-voltage crowbar to prevent over voltage to your radio if a pass transistor fails. I never had a linear type Astron fail in over 30 years. The linear type do not make noise in your receiver like some switching type power supplies and have less than 5 millivolts AC ripple making for the most clean DC output of any power supply. The RS-35A would be idling at 23 amps out and will provide 35 amps. It has enough reserve to operate other ham radio items besides your HF transceiver.
N8AUC

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2019, 06:52:31 AM »

Nothing is ever bulletproof ALL the time.
Everything fails.....eventually.....and for varying reasons.

K0CWO

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2019, 08:14:07 AM »

https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-003728

I can vouch for this one.  It is quiet physically and RF wise.  Decent price and convenient utility.

If a switcher is not to your liking, any of the analog Astrons are a good choice.

73, k0cwo
N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2019, 09:01:11 AM »

Nothing is ever bulletproof ALL the time.
Everything fails.....eventually.....and for varying reasons.

Astron are as close to bulletproof as it gets. Over 30 years with Astron linear type and never had one fail. So, Astron is a safe purchase. Just do not use a 20 amp RS-20 with 23 amp load.

K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2019, 10:02:24 AM »

I just never thought I would be defending a "switcher".  I have hated switching power supply's of all kinds for years for their "filth".  Oh, I have used them for decades commercially in telephone systems, long before we saw them advertised for amateur use, and yes they worked quite well, but we didn't care if they had emissions or not.

When my friend bought an example of the one I provided a link to, I was glad it was him and not me that was trying it out. When he reported no "filth" I was astounded. How can something so small and weighs next to nothing produce 50 amps of clean power?  It is a miracle. Time marches on and new innovations come on line. Of course not very fast in amateur radio circles.

We hams for the most part have to be drug kicking and screaming forward in the race for technology.  No, we still like our pine board tube rigs.  Why there is a thread running now about building a "QRP" tube rig.  What a contradiction in terms. QRP and tubes in the same sentence.

Why on earth or any other planet would anyone want to build something as power hungry as tubes into a radio to use low power? Sure when that was all we could do as a species, yes that was great.  But we have advanced so far....or have we?

Well, enough of my rants... Yes that linear power supply is the "safe" choice.  Proven over time.  Only an Amateur in the truest sense of the word would love and cherish such a thing and such a concept.   CW forever Smiley
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2019, 10:36:45 AM »

I had one unusual experience with an Astron linear supply back in the 1980's. I used it at a remote site to power a Packet digipeater 24/7. One of the pass transistors in the Astron failed shorted. The overvoltage circuit SCR fired BUT since it was essentially shorting the huge filter capacitors the SCR simply opened and let the 24V pass on to the radio. I haven't seen a failure like that in an Astron before or since that time. It wiped out several transistors in the receiver. After repairing the receiver and the Astron, I added an in-line 20A fuse inside the Astron, between the filter caps and the SCR protected output. Now if the SCR fires, it blows the internal fuse rather than attempting to handle all the current supplied by the filter capacitors.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2019, 12:54:52 PM »

cheaper than upgrading the SCR for sure.
MACGUFFIN

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2019, 10:51:35 PM »

Good day my friends,  I’ve become the owner of a Icom IC-7410 and looking for a power supply.
Any suggestions? It requires 13.8 volts 23 amps. Thanks 73’s Paul KN4EVS

I believe that ham radios were built to run on batteries and so should be run on batteries.  I run my radios from a battery and battery maintainer.  I like the Deltran Battery Tender series of battery maintainers, especially their 5 amp version.

https://powerwerx.com/battery-tender-0220186gdlwh-power-battery-charger

A typical ham radio will pull less than 5 amps at standby and so a maintainer like this will allow someone to run 24/7 if they don't transmit too much.  Assuming the operator turns off the radio when off to work or to sleep the maintainer can charge up a properly sized battery just fine for a few hours of operation at full transmit power.

A maintainer and battery is about the same price as a quality 25 amp power supply and any price difference will pay for itself in a single power outage or trip to operate off grid.

I found the battery maintainer also works well to get one's vehicle charged up for a short drive to a repair shop after an alternator failure.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: