The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Omni VII Plus --Ten Tec is back  (Read 6206 times)
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2019, 09:05:23 AM »

A little birdie told me that the Omni VII Plus is in production.  Now for the naysayers who will carp about price, etc.  Rig being shown at Hamvention now.
Can't edit subject line... it is the Omni VI

why not just use the "Report to moderator" link at the bottom of your first post and ask for the title to be fixed so that it reads: "Omni VII+ -- Ten-Tec is back"
 Wink

I wish that would work.  I could NOT edit the title, and eHam does NOT allow reporting or deleting your own post!  I tried both.  Perhaps you could report this to a moderator and have the issue corrected?  I am not allowed to do it, which seems to be a very odd limitation.  Most forums allow deletion or changes if no replies were made, esp. within a few minutes of making a new post.

Pete
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2019, 09:06:45 AM »

Seems like one person is here to create discord, start a fight, and making an effort to get thread locked.
N9FB

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2019, 09:19:45 AM »

Quote from: N9FB
former Ten-Tec (contracted?) engineer John Henry (who knows Mike) recently posted the quote below on the TT Group FB page this morning: (i believe the original Omni VII was his baby) --

So many people saying so many bad things about TenTec in so many public forums and on the air, even when the news is good.

He also, in that post, asked people to "Feel free to repost/cut/paste this, but remember, please post the whole thing, only cutting snippets is just egging people on to say further negative things."

Wondering why you chose to ignore his request and posted only a snippet.   Were you "egging people on" ?

i had made a quick run to checkout the FB group and the photo there of the Omni VII+ to link it here in this thread in my above post, and saw the top lines of his post but did not click "read more" to read the entirety.  i have been following TT threads and reflectors over the years and know John supports Mikes efforts and wants the naysayers to fallback and give TT a chance. i have no intention of throwing hate at Mike or John or TT or "egging on" those who do, as should be easily gleaned from my past posts...  Roll Eyes

Quote from: NN4RH
So, here is the entire post:

Post by John Henry at https://www.facebook.com/groups/49629325776/

I guess people show their true nature, even when the news is good. So many people saying so many bad things about TenTec in so many public forums and on the air, even when the news is good. Yes, the OMNI-VII+ is an OMNI-VII with a new front face plate, and maybe a few extras, maybe not. The point is, they are attempting to "test the waters", see if there is ANY interest in the market. They are looking to see if the 100s of promises of "I'd buy one today, check in hand, if it was on the market again" were these real promises or just empty promises. Yes, it is using some of the parts in stock to make a limited run, BUT, there are a lot more parts still in stock. It won't take but a few rigs actually sold to show there is an interest still in the OMNI-VII, there are quite a few parts in house to build from, but of course some parts would have to be purchased, and a few rigs sold means the purchasing cycle starts again for the next run. Simple supply an demand. Except he is supplying it first, now let's see the demand. If you never see another set of OMNI-VII+s or other made, then this test proved two things, those touting they would purchase have moved on, and it really isn't a viable product to sell anymore. There are several things in the works between TenTec and others helping them, some interesting, new things, but, they might not make it to the light of day if the negativity ruins it for the honest customers who did want to buy but were scared away due to the negativity. Yes, there have been a lot of promises made, but, then again, there has been so much negativity that the amateur products did not continue selling, even though there were some in stock, or took a few years to sell what normally would have taken a couple of months, again, due to the negativity. Granted, sometimes the owner is a bit quick with interesting come backs, but if you were told a thousand times a day how you were doing things wrong, when your heart was in the right place trying to do the right thing, I think you'd be peeved too. One reason why I am where I am today, I didn't need the negativity in my life, and I see it hasn't changed. Feel free to repost/cut/paste this, but remember, please post the whole thing, only cutting snippets is just egging people on to say further negative things. Quit the cycle, and help if you really want a rig, or just watch for a while if you don't. But don't make your post the reason some young enterprising mind of a young ham gets scared away from a company that had they not invented most of what they did, most of the other companies would not be where they are today.

one additional mistake i may have made is saying the Omni VII+ has an updated auto-tuner. It could have been that only pertains to the future Eagle + -- as I discussed both rigs a little with Mike -- and now i cant remember for certain if his talk about how quick the new autotuner is and the different sound it makes pertains to both the Omni VII+ and the Eagle + or just one... we all need to stay tuned -- or buy an Omni VII+ from Mike / www.tentec.com and report back here on topic.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 09:24:21 AM by N9FB » Logged
N9FB

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2019, 09:30:02 AM »

Quote from: W1BR
A little birdie told me that the Omni VII Plus is in production.  Now for the naysayers who will carp about price, etc.  Rig being shown at Hamvention now.
Can't edit subject line... it is the Omni [VII +]

why not just use the "Report to moderator" link at the bottom of your first post and ask for the title to be fixed so that it reads: "Omni VII+ -- Ten-Tec is back"
 Wink

I wish that would work.  I could NOT edit the title, and eHam does NOT allow reporting or deleting your own post!  I tried both.  Perhaps you could report this to a moderator and have the issue corrected?  I am not allowed to do it, which seems to be a very odd limitation.  Most forums allow deletion or changes if no replies were made, esp. within a few minutes of making a new post.

Pete

done, however it may carry more weight and get quicker attention if you go to the "site talk" forum https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/board,27.0.html and create a post there asking that the title be changed and a link to this thread...
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2019, 10:58:50 AM »

former Ten-Tec (contracted?) engineer John Henry (who knows Mike) recently posted the quote below on the TT Group FB page this morning: (i believe the original Omni VII was his baby) --

So many people saying so many bad things about TenTec in so many public forums and on the air, even when the news is good.

He also, in that post, asked people to "Feel free to repost/cut/paste this, but remember, please post the whole thing, only cutting snippets is just egging people on to say further negative things."

Wondering why you chose to ignore his request and posted only a snippet.   Were you "egging people on" ?

i had made a quick run to checkout the FB group and the photo there of the Omni VII+ to link it here in this thread in my above post, and saw the top lines of his post but did not click "read more" to read the entirety.  i have been following TT threads and reflectors over the years and know John supports Mikes efforts and wants the naysayers to fallback and give TT a chance. i have no intention of throwing hate at Mike or John or TT or "egging on" those who do, as should be easily gleaned from my past posts...  Roll Eyes

Quote from: NN4RH
So, here is the entire post:

Post by John Henry at https://www.facebook.com/groups/49629325776/

I guess people show their true nature, even when the news is good. So many people saying so many bad things about TenTec in so many public forums and on the air, even when the news is good. Yes, the OMNI-VII+ is an OMNI-VII with a new front face plate, and maybe a few extras, maybe not. The point is, they are attempting to "test the waters", see if there is ANY interest in the market. They are looking to see if the 100s of promises of "I'd buy one today, check in hand, if it was on the market again" were these real promises or just empty promises. Yes, it is using some of the parts in stock to make a limited run, BUT, there are a lot more parts still in stock. It won't take but a few rigs actually sold to show there is an interest still in the OMNI-VII, there are quite a few parts in house to build from, but of course some parts would have to be purchased, and a few rigs sold means the purchasing cycle starts again for the next run. Simple supply an demand. Except he is supplying it first, now let's see the demand. If you never see another set of OMNI-VII+s or other made, then this test proved two things, those touting they would purchase have moved on, and it really isn't a viable product to sell anymore. There are several things in the works between TenTec and others helping them, some interesting, new things, but, they might not make it to the light of day if the negativity ruins it for the honest customers who did want to buy but were scared away due to the negativity. Yes, there have been a lot of promises made, but, then again, there has been so much negativity that the amateur products did not continue selling, even though there were some in stock, or took a few years to sell what normally would have taken a couple of months, again, due to the negativity. Granted, sometimes the owner is a bit quick with interesting come backs, but if you were told a thousand times a day how you were doing things wrong, when your heart was in the right place trying to do the right thing, I think you'd be peeved too. One reason why I am where I am today, I didn't need the negativity in my life, and I see it hasn't changed. Feel free to repost/cut/paste this, but remember, please post the whole thing, only cutting snippets is just egging people on to say further negative things. Quit the cycle, and help if you really want a rig, or just watch for a while if you don't. But don't make your post the reason some young enterprising mind of a young ham gets scared away from a company that had they not invented most of what they did, most of the other companies would not be where they are today.

one additional mistake i may have made is saying the Omni VII+ has an updated auto-tuner. It could have been that only pertains to the future Eagle + -- as I discussed both rigs a little with Mike -- and now i cant remember for certain if his talk about how quick the new autotuner is and the different sound it makes pertains to both the Omni VII+ and the Eagle + or just one... we all need to stay tuned -- or buy an Omni VII+ from Mike / www.tentec.com and report back here on topic.

I don't think anyone is throwing shade here Rob, it's just kind of discussing the obvious stuff.  There is great competition at that price point, and Ten Tec is calling it an Omni VII+.  Unfortunately no one know what that is right now.  I talked to several people who visited their booth at Xenia, they said there was really no information on it.  So stay tuned we will but Ten Tec had better bring their A game to the table.

One quick thing Rob, don't know if you noticed or not, I refer to Ten Tec (the company), not Mike.  This is about a company, it is not personal unless people make it that way.

Anyway, hope to see some specs real soon so we can see what plus means.
NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2019, 12:14:51 PM »

Those JH posts now seem to have been deleted from the Facebook page ...
N9FB

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2019, 05:23:56 PM »

I don't think anyone is throwing shade here Rob, it's just kind of discussing the obvious stuff.  There is great competition at that price point, and Ten Tec is calling it an Omni VII+.  Unfortunately no one know what that is right now.  I talked to several people who visited their booth at Xenia, they said there was really no information on it.  So stay tuned we will but Ten Tec had better bring their A game to the table.

John, what is obvious is that you came in here and tried to add negative spin to the thread...  Pretty sure the present owner of Ten-Tec is aware that it is important to bring his A game to the table and that the other xcvr manufacturers havent been frozen in time over the past several years.  did you ever take Mike up on his request that you call him to discuss Ten-Tec (the company)? https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,123601.15.html if yes, what did you learn; if not, why not  Huh

Quote from: KA4DPO
One quick thing Rob, don't know if you noticed or not, I refer to Ten Tec (the company), not Mike.  This is about a company, it is not personal unless people make it that way.

John, it is good to hear you arent wanting to get personal here, but also remember that Ten-Tec the company *is* Mike and the employees.  

it seems a little bit odd too that you are now in a hurry for the Omni VII+ specs to come out even though you are on record saying you would not be holding your breath when Mike stated the Omni VII+ would be coming out soon (and asked you to call him about Ten-Tec)...  let's just take a wait and see approach and not attempt to push the river

"when you throw dirt; you lose ground"
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2019, 08:50:55 PM »

I don't think anyone is throwing shade here Rob, it's just kind of discussing the obvious stuff.  There is great competition at that price point, and Ten Tec is calling it an Omni VII+.  Unfortunately no one know what that is right now.  I talked to several people who visited their booth at Xenia, they said there was really no information on it.  So stay tuned we will but Ten Tec had better bring their A game to the table.

John, what is obvious is that you came in here and tried to add negative spin to the thread...  Pretty sure the present owner of Ten-Tec is aware that it is important to bring his A game to the table and that the other xcvr manufacturers havent been frozen in time over the past several years.  did you ever take Mike up on his request that you call him to discuss Ten-Tec (the company)? https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,123601.15.html if yes, what did you learn; if not, why not  Huh

One quick thing Rob, don't know if you noticed or not, I refer to Ten Tec (the company), not Mike.  This is about a company, it is not personal unless people make it that way.

John, it is good to hear you arent wanting to get personal here, but also remember that Ten-Tec the company *is* Mike and the employees.  

it seems a little bit odd too that you are now in a hurry for the Omni VII+ specs to come out even though you are on record saying you would not be holding your breath when Mike stated the Omni VII+ would be coming out soon (and asked you to call him about Ten-Tec)...  let's just take a wait and see approach and not attempt to push the river

"when you throw dirt; you lose ground"

Talk about spin......  All companies are made up of people.  I just recently remarked on what seems to be less than acceptable spectral purity for the K3, given it's cost I think they could do better.  I did not see anything from you regarding that.

I do want to see specs, when a company says they are introducing a new model, in this case a plus version of the Omni VII, I would like to see exactly what the differences are between it and the old Omni VII.  There is nothing wrong with that at all.  Perhaps you should try being a little less self righteous.  No one cares.

The only thing that seems odd is that you feel as though you have to flame anyone who tries to have a discussion about, or questions what Ten Tec is doing.  If you are willing to buy a radio for three grand that is less capable than a nine hundred dollar Icom then please be my guest.

Stop trying to make this a personal issue, you are just being a troll.
KF5HWG

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2019, 01:19:39 AM »

I am just glad to see an American company making a radio.
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2019, 07:47:47 AM »

I am just glad to see an American company making a radio.

There are several doing just that, most notably, Elecraft and Flex Radio.  I remember when the very first Japanese radios came out, we thought they were junk.  I did not own a Japanese radio until 1977 when I got my Kenwood 599-D twins.  I had two more American rigs after that, A KWM-2, and a Drake TR4CW, easily one of the best radios I ever owned. 

Yaesu just proved a point with the FTDX-101D that analog front ends are still more robust that A to D converters right up front.  I hope Ten Tec is thinking along those lines but it costs a lot of money to come up with a competitive design that you can sell at a reasonable price point and still make a profit.  So far Elecraft has done well at that but even they must be feeling the heat from off shore.
WB8NUT

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2019, 09:55:06 AM »

OK, I went by the TenTec booth several times and did not notice the "new" Omni. Not saying it was not there, but I and my other two ham buddies just did not notice. However, in looking at the pictures, I noticed the back showed model 588 which is the same model number of the original Omni 7. So is this really a new radio or is this batch of radios just the sub-qty 20 that Mike said he had parts for and could build? Seems that it would have had a different model number if it was truly a newly upgraded model.

Aside from that, the traffic at the Hamvention was really around Flexradio and Elecraft when it came to U.S. based companies. As I have said many times, my concern for Mike delaying manufacturing of radios would have the TenTec customer base migrating away to Flexradio and Elecraft. By the traffic analysis of Flex, Elecraft and TenTec, I was correct. Very little interest in TenTec compared to the other two who were constantly slammed with people.

Also, the radio designs from Flexradio and Elecraft are SDR based now and continuing to migrate in that direction. If TenTec is going to compete, they need new designs around SDR that will offer something new to garner attention from that buyer of U.S. manufactured radios. It is just not going to work with those old designs.

JMHO
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2019, 10:05:14 AM »

In other news... CQ Magazine is still publishing. May issue arrived in...... May....
N9FB

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2019, 05:02:43 PM »

the radio designs from Flexradio and Elecraft are SDR based now and continuing to migrate in that direction. If TenTec is going to compete, they need new designs around SDR that will offer something new to garner attention from that buyer of U.S. manufactured radios. It is just not going to work with those old designs.

Obviously in order to compete a company must innovate unless it is only interested in selling vintage gear.  But that said, Ten-Tec was pretty cutting edge when it went on hiatus and it may not be as far behind as you suppose.  i am not a user of contest grade stations, but i have no reason to doubt N3QE's experience or assessment below:

I have two Eagles, and have made over a quarter million QSO's with them. I also get to frequently use K3's at contest superstations. The Eagle is pretty much the same generation as the K3 (if anything, Elecraft was following Ten-Tec's lead in terms of downconversion high-performance DSP rigs) and is just as good in every demanding situation I've ever encountered (in fact I prefer the Eagle in terms of user interface).

I would be glad to support the new Ten-Tec with my wallet if they had anything for sale. I can't comment on their current service department because my Eagles never break :-).

K5XS

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2019, 06:14:31 AM »

OK, I went by the TenTec booth several times and did not notice the "new" Omni. Not saying it was not there, but I and my other two ham buddies just did not notice.

Duffy,

Thanks for the report.  If you can share, what _was_ in the Ten Tec booth?

Bernie
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2019, 06:23:17 AM »

There are some photos posted on the Ten Tec  Facebook page.  I asked my friend, who was there, to check out the booth. He said he couldn't get near it--eight deep.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: