The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Omni VII Plus --Ten Tec is back  (Read 6247 times)
W5JON

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2019, 07:40:41 AM »

There are some photos posted on the Ten Tec  Facebook page.  I asked my friend, who was there, to check out the booth. He said he couldn't get near it--eight deep.

Hi,

He must have been there at a different time then I was. When I went by there it was ONE deep.

John
N9CM

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2019, 08:53:19 AM »

Wonder exactly what the 7+ is, if they are using labels from the 7.  I am guessing they are builds of the 7 from residual stock but what do I know, wasn't there and didn't ask.
WB8NUT

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2019, 09:53:10 AM »

Duffy,

Thanks for the report.  If you can share, what _was_ in the Ten Tec booth?

Bernie

Bernie, the only thing I noticed were the same old models of radio that TenTec had prior to Mike buying the company. There was also a chrome microphone for sale as I recall. Then at the right side of the booth were the Alpha amps. I am not an amp person so I did not really pay attention to the amps at all. I guess the Omni 7+ was there based on other reports and photographs, but again to tell you the truth, we did not notice it. If it really is going to go into production, I would have thought there would have been something in the booth announcing it to draw your attention. But it just looked like the same booth and display they had over the past years since Mike took over the company so we really were not that interested in spending any time there.
N9FB

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2019, 04:43:29 PM »

what _was_ in the Ten Tec booth?

here are two photos i took late morning Saturday; the Omni VII+ is the rig on its own table back behind the right front table.  I think the plan is to release the Omni VII + and the Eagle + first before moving to an Orion III, Argonaut VII and / or other new models. The Omni VII + has a metal face front panel that will be made in Ohio.  The Omni VII+ also has new improved buttons and knobs and i believe there are other upgrades and that info will likely be coming out soon.   There was an Omni VI that later became the VI+ so it seems they are following that approach in the interim.  

« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 04:58:19 PM by N9FB » Logged
WB8NUT

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2019, 05:59:00 AM »

N9FB, thanks for the pictures. They back-up my statements. First, hardly any traffic at the TenTec display. Second, on the right it appears to be the Omni 7+. Notice there is nothing to note "New" or "coming soon!" or anything to grab your attention so you want to go over and look and inquire as to what it is all about.

Mike, I know you read these posts. For cripe sakes, do some marketing and sales! You missed a big opportunity by failing to have any signage around the Omni 7+ at the Hamvention. Some simple low-cost black and white handouts talking about the improvements, pricing, specs, availability would also have been nice. And again, keep the website updated with regular updates. While you may be mostly a one-man band right now, as the saying goes, "nothing happens until somebody sells something" so start doing some selling to build excitement and interest.

Now I will return you to your regular programming.
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2019, 06:27:27 AM »

Yawn.... 
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2019, 07:54:47 AM »

Every new radio I have ever seen at Dayton was prominently displayed with lots of enticing specs, colorful photos and charts, and other information about the product.  These are designed to draw your attention, and they always did.  Since I did not go to Xenia, I have to take the word of others but the pictures say a lot.

Based solely on the photographs, I see what appears to be the same old Omni VII with a new front panel and no signage saying it is new or improved.    I also noticed John Henry deleted his post from the Ten Tec Facebook page.  That makes me wonder what was in it that he didn't want anyone to read.

There is a lot of hype surrounding this radio, only it's not the good kind.  If this thing is indeed a plus model, then please publish some specifications and documentation telling everyone how much better it performs than the legacy Omni VII and what technological advancements it contains over the old one.
W5JON

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2019, 09:08:04 AM »

Yawn.... 

That is exactly what I did as I walked through the Ten-Tec booth....
WB8NUT

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2019, 09:34:45 AM »

Yawn.... 

LOL, now that was a funny response!
N9FB

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2019, 07:05:49 PM »

Quote from: W1BR
Yawn.... 

Quote from: W5JON

Quote from: WB8NUT

you premature funeral committee guys have a "funny" sense of humor  Roll Eyes
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2019, 08:46:46 PM »

Quote from: W1BR
Yawn.... 

Quote from: W5JON

Quote from: WB8NUT

you premature funeral committee guys have a "funny" sense of humor  Roll Eyes

I don't think he meant his comment to be funny, evidently everyone else yawed as well. 
N9FB

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2019, 09:28:39 AM »

the radio designs from Flexradio and Elecraft are SDR based now and continuing to migrate in that direction. If TenTec is going to compete, they need new designs around SDR that will offer something new to garner attention from that buyer of U.S. manufactured radios. It is just not going to work with those old designs.

Obviously in order to compete a company must innovate unless it is only interested in selling vintage gear.  But that said, Ten-Tec was pretty cutting edge when it went on hiatus and it may not be as far behind as you suppose.  i am not a user of contest grade stations, but i have no reason to doubt N3QE's experience or assessment below --  [emphasis added] --

I have two Eagles, and have made over a quarter million QSO's with them. I also get to frequently use K3's at contest superstations. The Eagle is pretty much the same generation as the K3 (if anything, Elecraft was following Ten-Tec's lead in terms of downconversion high-performance DSP rigs) and is just as good in every demanding situation I've ever encountered (in fact I prefer the Eagle in terms of user interface).

I would be glad to support the new Ten-Tec with my wallet if they had anything for sale. I can't comment on their current service department because my Eagles never break :-).

The current owner of Ten-Tec may not be moving fast enough for his detractors here, nor focusing as much time on PR as the armchair CEOs & "experts" here expect, but he is spending his time, energy and money on trying to bring Ten-Tec back and keeping the service department in TN open -- and i find that commendable.  He also has not made false guarantees or promises, as can be seen from the older quote below:

The Ten Tec team is working on production improvements to our facility and business. We are fully occupied with our commercial business at this time. When I have capacity the next step is to run the first batch of Omni 7+ which is the Omni 7 with some minor cosmetic changes and improvements such as a flat metal front for improved shielding. Following this we are releasing the Super Eagle which brings into the Eagle most of the DSP features found on the Orion II and is the first step on the path to the Orion III. This is different hardware from existing product so it is not a firmware upgrade. There are no firm dates or guarantees for when these things will occur.

KA1CNK

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2019, 10:33:17 AM »

Would people rather see Elon Musk type Tesla comments coming out of Ten Tec?   Constantly moving release dates and pricing for things that won't be built until enough more expensive versions are sold?

I would like to see some sort more recent news on the website though.
WB8NUT

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2019, 02:43:19 AM »

I wish more people who comment had a better sense of how a business should function.

Marketing is not PR. Not sure what an "armchair" CEO is as most CEOs are very involved with their businesses. But one thing about most CEOs, they are always selling their company's products. Some may do PR, but all are selling and marketing since the only way their companies can be successful is if someone buys/consumes their products.

As I recall, the word from last (2018) Hamvention was that TenTec would be manufacturing those Omni 7+ by the end of last year. Maybe that was not a commitment.

Before the previous TenTec failed, it was pretty state-of-the-art; I will give you that one. Probably why I owned so much TenTec gear. Shack was pretty much filled with it. However, the state-of-the-art continues to advance at an ever increasing rate. Why do you think Kenwood, Yaesu and Icom are constantly refreshing their product lines? Even Flex did a complete refresh from the radios they manufactured five years ago. So what is TenTec's direction? Enhancing the old models from five years ago.

Will they sell some radios if they ever bring them to market? Sure, some old customers will return to make a purchase; no doubt. Will they set the ham world on fire? I don't see it. Too far behind the current state-of-the-art. SDR based radios are the current state-of-the-art and those radios are not just for contest stations. They have great operational advantages for the average ham station.

One thing can be said, if Elon Musk was running TenTec you can bet they would be offering state-of-the-art SDR radios and they would be selling radios by now. Elon Musk is a risk taker. While a little quirky, he does no how to take a risk and is very successful. The other thing Elon would be doing is updating his customers and potential customers on the progress of the company and its products. So yes, I would like to see Mike act a bit more like Elon Musk.
KA1CNK

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2019, 08:24:42 AM »

He'd also be taking deposits for stuff that will be delivered much later than promised, cost more than first announced, have quality control issues, sell more expensive ones to new customers, while ones with deposits are still waiting....

The ham radio market is lots smaller, probably won't support this marketing strategy.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: