The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Omni VII Plus --Ten Tec is back  (Read 4434 times)
W1BR

Ignore
« on: May 17, 2019, 09:29:19 PM »

A little birdie told me that the Omni VII Plus is in production.  Now for the naysayers who will carp about price, etc.  Rig being shown at Hamvention now.Can't edit subject line... it is the Omni VI
NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 05:18:20 AM »

A little birdie told me that the Omni VII Plus is in production.  Now for the naysayers who will carp about price, etc.  Rig being shown at Hamvention now.Can't edit subject line... it is the Omni VI

Can you clear up what you posted.

The first sentence says Omni VII Plus is "in production".

Then it seems like you're saying that the rig "being shown at Hamvention" is an Omni VI ??

KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 06:46:32 AM »

That is very interesting.  A couple of friends have told me that Ten Tec doesn't have anything new at Xenia.  No flyers, no brochures, and most of all, no published specs for an Omni VII plus. 

If they indeed do have a new rig it had better be good because the competition is pretty stiff.  The Icom IC-7300 or the Kenwood TS-590SG offer far better performance and lots more features than the old Omni VII, and at much lower prices.  Please provide more detail about this plus model.
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 07:35:40 AM »

Can you clear up what you posted.

The first sentence says Omni VII Plus is "in production".

Then it seems like you're saying that the rig "being shown at Hamvention" is an Omni VI ??

READ what I wrote...  Eham does NOT allow editing the subject line or deleting your own post.  I added the information about 30 seconds after posting.
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 07:36:43 AM »

That is very interesting.  A couple of friends have told me that Ten Tec doesn't have anything new at Xenia.  No flyers, no brochures, and most of all, no published specs for an Omni VII plus. 

If they indeed do have a new rig it had better be good because the competition is pretty stiff.  The Icom IC-7300 or the Kenwood TS-590SG offer far better performance and lots more features than the old Omni VII, and at much lower prices.  Please provide more detail about this plus model.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/49629325776/

shown in their Face Book group... first news I've seen. Price is high, but it is hard to compete with offshore production.

NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 07:45:03 AM »

READ what I wrote...  Eham does NOT allow editing the subject line or deleting your own post.  I added the information about 30 seconds after posting.

Yes I get that you messed up the title of the thread.

What I was asking about was the BODY of the post where you say the VII Plus (7+) is in production, and you seemed to be saying that they are displaying an Omni VI (6). That doesn't make any sense.

So it turns out you made two dumb mistakes.

And now it turns out that you are not actually there.

Would have been better if you had simply posted the link to your source of information in the first place, rather than going for the drama of saying "little birdy told me".  
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 07:53:27 AM »

READ what I wrote...  Eham does NOT allow editing the subject line or deleting your own post.  I added the information about 30 seconds after posting.

Yes I get that you messed up the title of the thread.

What I was asking about was the BODY of the post where you say the VII Plus (7+) is in production, and you seemed to be saying that they are displaying an Omni VI (6). That doesn't make any sense.

So it turns out you made two dumb mistakes.

And now it turns out that you are not actually there.

Would have been better if you had simply posted the link to your source of information in the first place, rather than going for the drama of saying "little birdy told me".  

Poor baby... into the ignore file you go.  You're dumb mistake was NOT reading where I corrected the title.  As I said, EHam does not allow editing, nor contacting a moderator for help on your own post. Take it up with site owner. 
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 08:47:12 AM »

https://www.facebook.com/groups/49629325776/

shown in their Face Book group... first news I've seen. Price is high, but it is hard to compete with offshore production.

And therein lies the problem.  Unless they bring something that is competitive in price and performance to the table no one, with the exception a very few die hard fans is going to buy the Omni VII.  The one shown on the Facebook page looks like the same old Omni VII with a flat front panel.  So unless it is packing some very new technology, the IC-7300 and the TS-590SG totally blow it out of the water for far less money.  They have to do better.

W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 08:50:26 AM »

I've never argued those points.  It took too long to get the updated Omni VII to market. I suspect TenTec will remain a niche market for TenTec fans.  I'd love to see an updated Orion III, but.... 

I also wonder how much success Elecraft is going to have with the K4, a nice rig, and being American made is always a plus in my book.  But with a 5K starting price there are options from Icom and others that a very, very competitive. Hard to compete with imports... but if Trump keeps going with tariffs these may be bargain prices.

KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2019, 09:04:19 AM »

I've never argued those points.  It took too long to get the updated Omni VII to market. I suspect TenTec will remain a niche market for TenTec fans.  I'd love to see an updated Orion III, but.... 

I also wonder how much success Elecraft is going to have with the K4, a nice rig, and being American made is always a plus in my book.  But with a 5K starting price there are options from Icom and others that a very, very competitive. Hard to compete with imports... but if Trump keeps going with tariffs these may be bargain prices.

The tariff thing is narrow focused, we don't put any tariffs on Japanese goods, and even if they have Chinese content, the Japanese have not imposed tariffs on China.  I don't see any way in the world that rig could sell at 5K given what is currently on the market for substantially less.  I thought it was going to be priced at somewhere around $2K, and even that is too much for old technology.
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2019, 09:12:08 AM »

Omni VII Plus is $2999 from what I have read.  The Elecraft K4 is under preorder for close to a 5K deposit for the first batch. Both are steep prices.

Mike always said the first rig out of the gate would be an enchanced Omni VII Plus.  Most of us had faith he would produce what he promised . Never argued about whether the market could support it.   I just give the guy credit for doing what he said he would.

At the very least, I expect to see some bargain prices on used K3 rigs if the K4 takes off.
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2019, 09:50:32 AM »

Omni VII Plus is $2999 from what I have read.  The Elecraft K4 is under preorder for close to a 5K deposit for the first batch. Both are steep prices.

Mike always said the first rig out of the gate would be an enchanced Omni VII Plus.  Most of us had faith he would produce what he promised . Never argued about whether the market could support it.   I just give the guy credit for doing what he said he would.

At the very least, I expect to see some bargain prices on used K3 rigs if the K4 takes off.

I certainly can't argue that the K4 will be a high dollar rig.  But three grand for a Omni VII seems pretty steep for that rig.  Don't forget that an IC-7610 is not a great deal more than that.

I saw what I assume is a photo of it on the Facebook site.  The display and controls looks just like the old one but with a flat metal front panel.  Evidently the old plastic front panels were no longer available for whatever reasons.  So credit to the extent that he is putting some on the market.  It would be nice to see some specs and features so we can see what, if anything has actually been enhanced.
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2019, 03:31:52 PM »

Just a rumor, but I believe the old mould for the faceplate was lost during the factory closing.
N9FB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2019, 07:07:04 AM »

A little birdie told me that the Omni VII Plus is in production.  Now for the naysayers who will carp about price, etc.  Rig being shown at Hamvention now.
Can't edit subject line... it is the Omni VI

why not just use the "Report to moderator" link at the bottom of your first post and ask for the title to be fixed so that it reads: "Omni VII+ -- Ten-Tec is back"
 Wink

yesterday at Hamvention I visited the Dishtronix/Ten-Tec/Alpha booth and got to speak with Mike Dishop about the new Omni VII+ -- below is a pic of it from the TT Facebook Group:

Mike had me check out the way the new knobs on the left spin like butter and how the front panel buttons are now new and improved and very tactile sensitive.  The Auto-tuner is new and improved.  The front panel is metal.  Stay tuned: there are performance improvements too. 

The Eagle Plus i believe is slated next.

i see the naysayers have already chimed in protesting a little too much about the stiff competition, outdated performance etc, etc.  Roll Eyes ... a loud TT hater (aka: dQRMer) in this thread (who proclaimed Ten-Tec dead and buried before the present owner had even bought it) apparently sees everything Ten-Tec thru a dark distorted lens as if it is destined for failure, and seems to spend a lot (most?) of his eham posts decrying the fact that the brand is still around -- but it is hard to take seriously anyone who suggests the owner of Dishtronix, Ten-Tec and Alpha is naive and merely seeking to cater to old Ten-Tec fanboys who only care about the name...  i highly doubt he ever took Mike up on the offer to pick up the phone and call him.  Roll Eyes

newsflash: Mike Dishop understands that there is competition and that performance matters and he has invested a lot of time and energy and resources in working to bring Ten-Tec back as a viable company.  Let's wish him luck and be thankful for that. 

former Ten-Tec (contracted?) engineer John Henry (who knows Mike) recently posted the quote below on the TT Group FB page this morning: (i believe the original Omni VII was his baby) --

So many people saying so many bad things about TenTec in so many public forums and on the air, even when the news is good.

NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2019, 08:19:27 AM »

former Ten-Tec (contracted?) engineer John Henry (who knows Mike) recently posted the quote below on the TT Group FB page this morning: (i believe the original Omni VII was his baby) --

So many people saying so many bad things about TenTec in so many public forums and on the air, even when the news is good.

He also, in that post, asked people to "Feel free to repost/cut/paste this, but remember, please post the whole thing, only cutting snippets is just egging people on to say further negative things."

Wondering why you chose to ignore his request and posted only a snippet.   Were you "egging people on" ?

So, here is the entire post:

Post by John Henry at https://www.facebook.com/groups/49629325776/

I guess people show their true nature, even when the news is good. So many people saying so many bad things about TenTec in so many public forums and on the air, even when the news is good. Yes, the OMNI-VII+ is an OMNI-VII with a new front face plate, and maybe a few extras, maybe not. The point is, they are attempting to "test the waters", see if there is ANY interest in the market. They are looking to see if the 100s of promises of "I'd buy one today, check in hand, if it was on the market again" were these real promises or just empty promises. Yes, it is using some of the parts in stock to make a limited run, BUT, there are a lot more parts still in stock. It won't take but a few rigs actually sold to show there is an interest still in the OMNI-VII, there are quite a few parts in house to build from, but of course some parts would have to be purchased, and a few rigs sold means the purchasing cycle starts again for the next run. Simple supply an demand. Except he is supplying it first, now let's see the demand. If you never see another set of OMNI-VII+s or other made, then this test proved two things, those touting they would purchase have moved on, and it really isn't a viable product to sell anymore. There are several things in the works between TenTec and others helping them, some interesting, new things, but, they might not make it to the light of day if the negativity ruins it for the honest customers who did want to buy but were scared away due to the negativity. Yes, there have been a lot of promises made, but, then again, there has been so much negativity that the amateur products did not continue selling, even though there were some in stock, or took a few years to sell what normally would have taken a couple of months, again, due to the negativity. Granted, sometimes the owner is a bit quick with interesting come backs, but if you were told a thousand times a day how you were doing things wrong, when your heart was in the right place trying to do the right thing, I think you'd be peeved too. One reason why I am where I am today, I didn't need the negativity in my life, and I see it hasn't changed. Feel free to repost/cut/paste this, but remember, please post the whole thing, only cutting snippets is just egging people on to say further negative things. Quit the cycle, and help if you really want a rig, or just watch for a while if you don't. But don't make your post the reason some young enterprising mind of a young ham gets scared away from a company that had they not invented most of what they did, most of the other companies would not be where they are today.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 08:21:43 AM by NN4RH » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: