The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this normal ?  (Read 1829 times)
K1QQQ

Ignore
« on: May 18, 2019, 03:44:58 AM »

I am not expert on buying and selling in amateur radio as I have done little.

Of recent times I got in the mood to buy a number of things and have snooped here and QRZ/QTH and Ebay, etc.

I have had terrible luck. It seems at least with Ebay people sell when something does not quite work ok OR it is DEAD to begin with. Using PayPal helps at times I guess.

One purchase I bought an ICOM R-75 receiver. I got into amateur radio as a listener so I could always use something just to listen with. The transceivers attenuate below 1600 khz normally and an old fashioned mod to defeat this seems to be vanishing. (reason..you might be located near strong broadcast stations)

Actually I have another R-75. The recent one had some problem with no audio to the speaker and the squelch control knob was erratic and only allowed listening when it was mid-scale. I thought the radio could use a check-up.

I sent it out for a check-up/repair. Later I am notified there is nothing wrong with it except some setting in the settings menus. OK..my hasty error...

I ask about charge. Nothing. The radio is shipped back. I paid less than $20 to ship it insured but return cost is $70. I am not going to argue because I do not expect somebody to spend time for nothing.

I am told to pay via PayPal. Use friends and Family to avoid extra costs. Seems strange over several dollars but this place is trusted..right ?

A few days later NO PAYMENT RECEIVED. ggg  maybe my c/c/p email address had an error ? I send another. Nothing. I send another. I am told STOP and one was refunded. The way the books look I sent 3 with one refunded.

I prefer to have accurate math and prefer accurate costs, payments or whatever.  I guess somebody could send something out and be charged ridiculous or even never see it again.

I am not going to slander somebody over some error or misunderstanding.

The repair person I believe is well known and established and seeing references to many times.

BUT Huh
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 11:58:21 AM »

'I am told to pay via PayPal. Use friends and Family to avoid extra costs. Seems strange over several dollars but this place is trusted..right ?'

Why would you use friends and family for a business transaction?

You forfeit any buyer protection.
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 12:09:08 PM »

QUALITY packing is not cheap.  Neither is fully insured shipping.

It cost me about $50 to ship my Icom IC-R7000 from Schaumburg to New Lenox

That $50 included: a new double-walled cardboard carton; foam-in-place padding; $350 insurance;and somebody's labor to prepare the shipment.

Whoever serviced your R-75 was RESPONSIBLE for returning it WITHOUT ANY DAMAGE!  A good part of your $70 probably was CMA expenses for packing & shipping to get the R-75 back to you safely & in good condition.

I'm into boat anchors, particularly "hollow state" military gear.  In the last two or three years I've walked away from about a dozen deals where packing & insured shipping was more than the rig.

Next time, ask how much the service PLUS RETURN SHIPPING WILL BE!

K1QQQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 11:19:53 AM »

I realize quality shipping costs and one can probably debate forever what is quality shipping. I shipped as I said for under $20 and had it in a heavy duty box and wrapped many many times with that 'bubble wrap' or whatever it is.

That is not what sort of bugs me. It is the claim of payment not received and me making multiple payments with PayPal using friends and family as suggested. First payment not received. Days later second payment..not received !! Third payment received and one payment refunded and I guess that was payment #2 since the other one was days prior.

If costs are/were 2x  $70 simply tell me ?

$70 is not the biggest amount on earth but I hesitate sending things again for repair that involve more money and who knows what next. oooo---$400 not received ? Send 'friends and family' twice. 3 times ?

Then if I dropped a name probably I am all wrong. All I know is I have 3 Paypal receipts of $70 that say 'for an ICOM R-75 return that was sent for a check-up'.  -- and one $70 refund....
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 12:42:39 PM »

Sorry if I came on a little rough...

I use a commercial & industrial packing service.  He says that only1 of his claims was turned down for a damages.  And that was for some piece of Italian ceramics/porcelain.  HE & UPS suspect the shipment was a "sale to the insurance company". 

As for PlayPal, I use it only when absolutely necessary.  And then I run the transaction through my credit card.  If PlayPal won't listen, the card issuer listens.  Neither PlayPal nor the seller ever stiffed me that way.

73!

N9LCD       
K1QQQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 06:25:13 PM »

OK there.

I seem to have learned if possible only buy NEW.

I now even have an Alinco DX-10 Dead on Arrival. That was a short lived 10 meter rig that for some reason Alinco discontinued fast. Got a good QST review.

I take it out and it will not go on. I notice the fuse in the power line is dead. I see no visible damage inside. Looking at the Ebay ad it has a picture of it lit up with digital 28.000 mhz showing, etc. So I guess the fuse blew during shipping, etc. Just another intentional dumping. In this case Ebay deletes the listing from my purchase history. New game there ? (I have snapshots)

If you have something that caught a bug sell it on Ebay or Eham or QRZ/QTH or ? If it's totally dead who cares ?

On the issue that started this thread. 3 payments for return shipping. One refunded. SEND FUNDS FRIENDS AND FAMILY  !!!!  I see QRZ outlawed that now.
I will try to address the issue with the bank but not a local bank so know not my luck.

Makes no sense for a business to over-bill this way. The $70 I am going to jump off a cliff over ? The issue is if it were something much more or ? Send your $5000 rig for service and 'friends and family' and payments alleged not received.
K1QQQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 07:38:08 PM »

I finally got my extra shipping returned.

I did not have to ID anybody.

BUT to me this friends and family needs caution (as most know) but if a person says payment not received do not instant send another and another !!!!
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 06:57:18 PM »

I finally got my extra shipping returned.

I did not have to ID anybody.

BUT to me this friends and family needs caution (as most know) but if a person says payment not received do not instant send another and another !!!!

I'd probably start off with "how's that my problem?" Smiley

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
K4PIH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2019, 06:06:36 AM »

Friends and Family on eBay should be a stop sign for everyone!
K1QQQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 01:37:33 AM »

A comment. BUY ONLY NEW if you can.

I got some money awhile back and started buying some toys (radios especially) here and QRZ and Ebay.

It seems perfectly normal that everything sold developed a problem of some kind and time to sell !!!! Ebay scores the best for total rip-offs. They create a user and find some dead electronics and get money in their pocket. It does seem PayPal not 'friends and family' helps. (getting money back)

Maybe an example. Cameras. Ebay. There seem to be a trillion out there. I recent bought several used (no big money here) and 2 Dead on Arrival. Look at a sellers positive score. Look at Return Policy. If it is too cheap to be true maybe it is. (ps...cameras often still beat anything in a phone/tablet. Look at your specifications)

Here in Amateur Radio you end up with something that somebody has to fix. Ends up expensive. It would be nice if everybody could repair these radios.

Excuse my wisdom thoughts at 4am local.
NEW ? Vintage 2019. Warranty and even if not the vintage 2019 has a plus ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: