The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vintage Shortwave Radio Trivia in Young Sheldon end of season 2  (Read 1345 times)
VE3WGO

Ignore
« on: May 20, 2019, 11:13:36 AM »

In the Young Sheldon TV show, final scene of the final episode of season 2 that aired last week, begins with Sheldon Cooper listening to the Nobel Prize announcements on a somewhat vintage-looking shortwave radio.  Does anybody happen to know what kind it was? 

The episode is set in the year 1990, but the radio looks to be from the 1960s or so.  Maybe even a vintage vacuum tube model.   https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/17/entertainment/young-sheldon-big-bang-theory/index.html

Further down the same page, the video shows the ending of that final scene, with a young Leonard Hofstadter, also listening to the Nobel Prize announcements, on an easier to identify Hallicrafters S-38D.

Any Ham or SWL who watched The Big Bang Theory/Young Sheldon might be interested and wondering the same thing.

73, Ed
N8FNR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 06:05:52 PM »

Thanks for posting this. I was wondering the same thing.

Zack N8FNR
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 12:56:03 AM »

The top All-Wave portable receiver looks like a typical European style. I can't make out the script on the speaker grille.
KX4QP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 05:08:15 PM »

Found it!

It's an IT&T Capehart International.  This exact model, in fact.

Sheldon's is in better shape than the Wikimedia exemplar.  Anyway, it's a tube set, no question; built in the 1950s.
VE3WGO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 01:55:41 PM »

you have a good eye, KX4QP!  thanks for the detective work.

73, Ed

KX4QP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 04:40:18 PM »

you have a good eye, KX4QP!  thanks for the detective work.

73, Ed

You're welcome.  The ending scene of that Young Sheldon episode came up on YouTube, so I full-screened the player and paused with the radio filling the screen.  Got what I could from the image, then Googled for what I could see.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: