The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Either Your Antennas Go or You Go"........  (Read 2112 times)
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2019, 10:00:00 PM »

I'm not getting evicted Rob. Either the antennas get taken down today or I must move. I have chosen to move. The beach front place wont be available for 3 more weeks. Have a person here at work who has a lead on a place..........Whole thing is too much drama for me.

OK, I fully understand, I know what it is like to be abroad and not want to get into too much Drama.  I am not so sure you will survive those 3 weeks Hi Hi.  If your hands and face start twitching I suggest you get out some wire and and make a mini G5RV Grin.

73s
Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2019, 05:46:33 AM »

I'm not getting evicted Rob. Either the antennas get taken down today or I must move. I have chosen to move. The beach front place wont be available for 3 more weeks. Have a person here at work who has a lead on a place..........Whole thing is too much drama for me.

OK, I fully understand, I know what it is like to be abroad and not want to get into too much Drama.  I am not so sure you will survive those 3 weeks Hi Hi.  If your hands and face start twitching I suggest you get out some wire and and make a mini G5RV Grin.

73s
Rob

We convinced him to try FT8, now try Hamsphere for 3 weeks. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2019, 08:58:53 AM »

We convinced him to try FT8, now try Hamsphere for 3 weeks. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Who are the people that use this?!

"HamSphere simulates a real Ionosphere with radio wave propagation, fading and distortion. Signals are bounced off a virtual Ionosphere and reflected to distant parts of the world."

https://www.hamsphere.com/features

They even have DXpeditions and probably awards.  Shocked

AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2019, 08:51:09 PM »

I had some indoor dipoles while in graduate school, and did ok with them.  It is a worth a shot.  I am sure KH0/ adds 10 db to any signal.

73 John AF5CC
N1UR

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2019, 04:33:28 AM »

Ironically, Hamsphere actually takes more skill that FT8 does.  Let that statement sink in a bit.

There are probably 1000 video games more interesting than Hamsphere if the desire is to play a video game.  If you want to DX, DX...seriously.

Ed  N1UR
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2019, 06:22:41 AM »

I can think of those unable/unwilling to get a ham ticket, and until recently, those with very difficult station logistics. FT8 helped 'relieve' some of the latter.

One could also say that Hamsphere is the 'poor ham's' remote station. Looks nicer than Echolink.

If it raises awareness about amateur radio, great. If not, there is no harm done. It only costs 30 Euros per year, and has users from 274, so called, DXCC countries.

It does seem to attract some hams though, if their real time activity page is for real.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 06:43:29 AM by VA3VF » Logged
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2019, 06:44:38 AM »

I can think of those unable/unwilling to get a ham ticket, and until recently, those with very difficult station logistics. FT8 helped 'relieve' some of the latter.

One could also say that Hamsphere is the 'poor ham's' remote station. Looks nicer than Echolink.

If it raises awareness about amateur radio, great. If not, there is no harm done. It only costs 30 Euros per year, and has users from 274, so called, DXCC countries. I wonder if the 12K+ subscribers are paying ones. Not a bad business if they are.

It does seem to attract some hams though, if their real time activity page is for real.

P.S. Sorry for the duplicate posts, not sure what happened there.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 06:50:49 AM by VA3VF » Logged
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2019, 11:31:42 AM »

With Hamsphere if I can prove I made a Virtual trip to Bouvet can I become a 3Y.  Grin

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2019, 11:37:41 AM »

With Hamsphere if I can prove I made a Virtual trip to Bouvet can I become a 3Y.  Grin
That would be another 30 Euros, perhaps. Vanity call, you know? Grin Grin Grin
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2019, 01:21:32 PM »

That would be another 30 Euros, perhaps. Vanity call, you know? Grin Grin Grin

Ahh working the pileups would be a hoot  Grin
I would certainly make a sched for all eHam members,  Wink  After all I would not want to have you guys waiting for hours LOL.
Yeah King of the air IP waves for two weeks and loyal enough to give the little guys a chance to reach me. Cool
I can already see my year end DX Trophy in my hands  Roll Eyes

KC0W

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2019, 10:35:10 AM »

Moved into a new temporary place tonight roughly 200 feet from the ocean. First order of business was setting up the 20 meter phased arrays. Made a quick 78 QSOs in WPX CW before band died at 11 PM local time. Signals from North America & Europe appear to be stronger than from the last QTH. Will know more in the morning when 20M opens back up. The 80-6 meter antennas should be all setup by Monday.

I still have the previous apartment for 3 more weeks. It's fully furnished & sitting vacant. If anyone wants a free place to stay for 3 weeks in KH0 land right now speak up. I'm 100% serious............Unfortunately you will have to leave your HF antennas at home.  Smiley    

Tom KH0/KC0W      
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2019, 11:04:05 AM »

Moved into a new temporary place tonight roughly 200 feet from the ocean. First order of business was setting up the 20 meter phased arrays. Made a quick 78 QSOs in WPX CW before band died at 11 PM local time. Signals from North America & Europe appear to be stronger than from the last QTH. Will know more in the morning when 20M opens back up. The 80-6 meter antennas should be all setup by Monday.

I still have the previous apartment for 3 more weeks. It's fully furnished & sitting vacant. If anyone wants a free place to stay for 3 weeks in KH0 land right now speak up. I'm 100% serious............Unfortunately you will have to leave your HF antennas at home.  Smiley    

Tom KH0/KC0W      

That is great news Tom.  I love the fact that you got an even better QTH than the last one.  I look forward to hearing from you on the Radio.

73s
Rob

VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2019, 01:35:31 PM »

Unfortunately you will have to leave your HF antennas at home.  Smiley    
I was about to head for the airport when I read this last sentence.

Thanks, Tom. Maybe next time. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
VE3VEE

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2019, 01:46:34 PM »

When the landlord said "Either Your Antennas Go or You Go", did he mean if you go the antennas may stay? If yes, the antennas could be used for a remote QTH... as long as you go  Grin Grin Grin

Marvin VE3VEE
KC2SST

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2019, 08:33:21 AM »

When the landlord said "Either Your Antennas Go or You Go", did he mean if you go the antennas may stay? If yes, the antennas could be used for a remote QTH... as long as you go  Grin Grin Grin

Marvin VE3VEE

Technically correct, the best kind of correct.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: