The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solid State vs. Tube. Still deciding, but have a question.  (Read 6691 times)
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2019, 07:42:57 AM »

Anyway your assertion about the education of students today is dead wrong!

Not particularly dead nor wrong (for that matter). I am fortunate to have attended public schools and
name-brand universities during a time when education was well-funded in California and this state had
the best system in the country. Now California's schools are at the very bottom of the performance list.
This is an example of a general educational failure in the U.S.

You cite particular examples of what you consider to be outstanding problem-solving among very small
groups of U.S. students.

I'm talking about the performance on the whole of the U.S. student population: our kids don't read well and they
are not highly numerate.

A couple of examples, one of them a spelling bee, cannot deny a well-documented trend.

I suggest a bit of research. You'll find many studies comparing educational performance among various countries
such as the quote below:

"The United States may be a superpower but in education we lag behind. In a recent comparison of academic performance in 57 countries, students in Finland came out on top overall. Finnish 15-year-olds did the best in science and came in second in math. Other top-performing countries were: Hong Kong, Canada, Taiwan, Estonia, Japan and Korea."
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2019, 08:57:46 AM »

Interesting to note that out of 68 amplifier manufactures listed in the review section only 19 are still in business and about 5 of those are in question.

Maybe not bad considering the list goes back to th 60's.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2019, 11:20:52 AM »

"The United States may be a superpower but in education we lag behind. In a recent comparison of academic performance in 57 countries, students in Finland came out on top overall. Finnish 15-year-olds did the best in science and came in second in math. Other top-performing countries were: Hong Kong, Canada, Taiwan, Estonia, Japan and Korea."

Sorry to Hijack the thread again but I just wanted to point out that the in almost all the countries you are talking about the population is much smaller than the USA and therefore they can pour a lot more resources into educating each student.  On top of that some of the countries like Japan and Taiwan have absolutely horrid education systems that one could only equate to education slavery.  The child either does really well in school and then spends every waking moment studying for national exams and or is marked for life as being a common laborer.  It's also interesting that most of these countries still send their best kids here to America for their university education  Huh

As I said if you think education in the US is so bad and it was so good in the past I suggest you do some of your grand children's homework and get back to us.

Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2019, 11:27:30 AM »

Interesting to note that out of 68 amplifier manufactures listed in the review section only 19 are still in business and about 5 of those are in question.

Maybe not bad considering the list goes back to th 60's.

As I was pointing out to KE6EE the amount of companies has dwindled a lot from the hay days of the past.  One can try and count Chinese equipment as bringing back balance but the truth is they don't make much HF stuff and the stuff that they do make is not usually of very good in one way or another.  I have Wouxun and Baofeng HT's and while they feel fairly durable and work ok, the interface is a complete mess to work with.

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
GREYLINE

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2019, 12:36:08 PM »

Sorry to Hijack the thread again but I just wanted to point out that the in almost all the countries you are talking about the population is much smaller than the USA and therefore they can pour a lot more resources into educating each student.  On top of that some of the countries like Japan and Taiwan have absolutely horrid education systems that one could only equate to education slavery.  The child either does really well in school and then spends every waking moment studying for national exams and or is marked for life as being a common laborer.  It's also interesting that most of these countries still send their best kids here to America for their university education  Huh

As I said if you think education in the US is so bad and it was so good in the past I suggest you do some of your grand children's homework and get back to us.

Rob

You apologized for hijacking this thread but you did it anyways. Then you did it again.

I'm also interested in this topic, and found some of the early comments very helpful. Then it went south quickly.
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2019, 08:13:47 PM »

Unfortunately all too many threads degenerate into nothing like the original post or anywhere close.  The one exception might be the Ten Tec forum.  If it degenerates or too many posters say nasty things about that company the thread gets locked.
Art
AH7I

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2019, 04:26:30 AM »

Hi all,

My original plan was to go solid state amp like one of the Expert amps. I'm still open to going SS, but recently I've seen a few Alpha 78's for sale at a reasonable price so I could go that way as well. If I decide to go the Alpha 78 route to save some money, are there any performance mods I should be looking for the amp to have or is an unmodified Alpha 78 still a good get?

Thank you

Consider operating habits for HF.
Do you need QSK.
Are you going to run contests or work DX.
Phone or CW
Amp on all the time or only when needed.
160 and or 6 m in the same amp desirable or not?

I have a 500W solid state amp with QSK. If I buy another amp, it will be solid state.
I only turn the amp on when needed and then I do not want to wait for a tube to warm up.

The solid state parts are getting cheap enough that single band amps are starting to look attractive.

G4AON

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2019, 05:07:47 AM »

Consider operating habits for HF.
Do you need QSK.
Are you going to run contests or work DX.
Phone or CW
Amp on all the time or only when needed.
160 and or 6 m in the same amp desirable or not?

I have a 500W solid state amp with QSK. If I buy another amp, it will be solid state.
I only turn the amp on when needed and then I do not want to wait for a tube to warm up.

Same here, I’ve had valve/tube amps in the past, the last being an Acom 1000 which was as good as they come, but for the past 8 years I’ve been using an Elecraft KPA500 and it has been a solid performer.

Here in the UK the widely ignored power limit is 400W and the KPA500 is ideal for me. I wouldn’t consider anything other than a QSK capable solid state amp, one with diode c/o rather than relay switching too.

Factory support from Elecraft is legendary, I fitted a mod kit as a precaution and replaced an incorrectly fitted ic (U8 on the control panel, which causes ALC issues on all the early amps to at least my serial #573). Those minor rework issues are long past.

73 Dave
K6YE

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2019, 11:04:50 AM »

I believe AH7I posed great questions.

I currently have Alpha 91B, Drake L4-B, and Yaesu VL-1000 Quadra amplifiers. I have previously owned Henry 2KD-5, Heathkit SB-220, Ameritron ALS-600 amplifiers. It really depends on YOUR personal criteria. I like the ease of the solid state VL-1000 and ALS-600 but I also love my brute-strength Alpha. Obviously waiting 180 seconds to operate the GU-74Bs and the resultant heat in the shack is no big deal, to me. Remember, choose according to your wants.

Good luck in your quest.

Semper Fi,

Tommy - K6YE
DX IS and CW RULES 
W3PH

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2019, 11:21:34 AM »

I currently have Alpha 91B, Drake L4-B, and Yaesu VL-1000 Quadra amplifiers. I have previously owned Henry 2KD-5, Heathkit SB-220, Ameritron ALS-600 amplifiers. It really depends on YOUR personal criteria. I like the ease of the solid state VL-1000 and ALS-600 but I also love my brute-strength Alpha. Obviously waiting 180 seconds to operate the GU-74Bs and the resultant heat in the shack is no big deal, to me. Remember, choose according to your wants.

Another amp attribute that's underappreciated:  on tube amps, vernier dials on tune and load so you can just keep a list of the settings for each band and dial them in quickly.  I have an Alpha 9500 that I got a good deal on, and I love its auto-tune, but I also have Alpha 76PA, SB220 and SB200 amps, and none of those have verniers, so no quick band change plus they can be a little fussy on the higher bands and gear drive would be helpful.  A little thing, but convenient.

/Paul W3PH
AH6LE

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2019, 04:16:41 PM »

I built a pair of 6 and 2 meter LDMOS kilowatt amps a few years ago. I'll NEVER go back to tubes

http://ah6le.net/index.php/vhf-solid-state-kilowatts
K4RVN

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2019, 06:17:11 PM »

Buying an old amp  which could be more than 30 years old with no certain source for replacement tubes which are expensive anyway seems foolish to me. It could be a boat anchor real soon. That amp i believe uses three tubes. My two cents is to buy you a newer tube amp or a new solid state. A used tube amp or a new solid state with a warranty would be my suggestion.  It is your decision but you asked for comments and I am posting mine. Good luck and enjoy the hobby.

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2019, 08:11:18 PM »

I built a pair of 6 and 2 meter LDMOS kilowatt amps a few years ago. I'll NEVER go back to tubes

http://ah6le.net/index.php/vhf-solid-state-kilowatts

That was my same reaction when I got my first SS amp.  I just love them now and will never go back to tunes.   I have way too many SS amps in my collection, but I love them all.

K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2019, 09:00:38 AM »

This is an interesting quote:

“Sorry to Hijack the thread again but I just wanted to point out that the in almost all the countries you are talking about the population is much smaller than the USA and therefore they can pour a lot more resources into educating each student. “

Oh really. Even though a much smaller country has less students they also have a much smaller economy.  The United State pours more money in its K-12 education than any other country.  In 2010, the United States spent 7.3 percent of its gross domestic product on education, compared with the 6.3 percent average of other OECD countries. It is not the class size but the money per student.

Our culture is the reason our education system lags so many countries. If students spent as much time studying as they do following twitter, we would be in a much better place.

I worked after high school and did not start collage until I was 23. My perspective on what was being tought had a comletly different view from the younger students with minds full of mush. And that was 50 years ago.
MM0IMC

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2019, 08:30:36 AM »

That's a real shame, as they are really nice amplifiers!  Embarrassed
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: