The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solid State vs. Tube. Still deciding, but have a question.  (Read 5625 times)
W9AC

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2019, 05:05:47 AM »

Cost of ownership?  Study it carefully and look for the unobvious.  We need to be asking: "if X, Y or Z, fails, what's the impact on the repair cost, shipment, and repair time."  

Paul, W9AC

Computer controlled tube amplifier can fail exactly the same way.

Out of warranty repair is always expensive. What would you do if your 2 years old $3000 OLED TV dies? Complain about your inability to fix it without paying manufacturer's authorized service?

Just one reason why I rarely post on eHam.  In this instance, you missed the overarching point.  I'm suggesting that when making a decision about an amp to purchase, study the cost of ownership.  End of point.

Paul, W9AC

K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2019, 06:20:21 PM »

"Out of warranty repair is always expensive. What would you do if your 2 years old $3000 OLED TV dies? Complain about your inability to fix it without paying manufacturer's authorized service?"

Why would anyone pay $3000 for an OLED TV?
AC2RY

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2019, 09:08:31 PM »

"Out of warranty repair is always expensive. What would you do if your 2 years old $3000 OLED TV dies? Complain about your inability to fix it without paying manufacturer's authorized service?"

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-65-class-oled-e9-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6346311.p?skuId=6346311   Huh

I am not even talking about this https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-77-class-oled-a9g-master-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6331600.p?skuId=6331600

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2019, 11:28:25 AM »

OLED and LED TVs are a bad comparison  Wink
Unless the screen breaks these TVs can be fixed by just about anybody that has a little knowledge.   Each one typically contains 5 or 6 boards in it.  Depending on what the TV is doing or not doing it's pretty easy to figure out which board is dead.  Typically the boards are cheap, from $40 to $160 depending on which board it is.  Just go to www.shopjimmy.com and order the board by part number or make and model and then whack her in when she arrives and attack back the ribbon cables.  BTW it is very easy to know which board is bad, most of the time without even opening the TV.

73s
Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
AC2RY

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2019, 05:02:35 PM »

OLED and LED TVs are a bad comparison  Wink
Unless the screen breaks these TVs can be fixed by just about anybody that has a little knowledge.   Each one typically contains 5 or 6 boards in it.  Depending on what the TV is doing or not doing it's pretty easy to figure out which board is dead.  Typically the boards are cheap, from $40 to $160 depending on which board it is.  Just go to www.shopjimmy.com and order the board by part number or make and model and then whack her in when she arrives and attack back the ribbon cables.  BTW it is very easy to know which board is bad, most of the time without even opening the TV.

73s
Rob

Just checked my 5 years old ($3K worth back then) plasma TV: none of the boards available at that site.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2019, 03:42:37 PM »

OLED and LED TVs are a bad comparison  Wink
Unless the screen breaks these TVs can be fixed by just about anybody that has a little knowledge.   Each one typically contains 5 or 6 boards in it.  Depending on what the TV is doing or not doing it's pretty easy to figure out which board is dead.  Typically the boards are cheap, from $40 to $160 depending on which board it is.  Just go to www.shopjimmy.com and order the board by part number or make and model and then whack her in when she arrives and attack back the ribbon cables.  BTW it is very easy to know which board is bad, most of the time without even opening the TV.

73s
Rob

Just checked my 5 years old ($3K worth back then) plasma TV: none of the boards available at that site.

Plasma TV technology is dead!  People are literally giving them away if your willing to pick them up.  The picture on them is good, much better than LED but not nearly as good as OLED or QLED. The main downsides to Plasma are power consumption, heat and weight, and not to mention that they cant make them (in a practical manor) in 4K.
You can still get boards for the last releases from Panasonic but only about half the boards.

What model TV do you have and what is the problem?  Also if you already know the boards number please post it, I will see if I can locate it for you.

73s
Rob
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 03:44:59 PM by KD8MJR » Logged

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
AC2RY

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2019, 07:54:25 PM »

Plasma TV technology is dead!  People are literally giving them away if your willing to pick them up.  The picture on them is good, much better than LED but not nearly as good as OLED or QLED. The main downsides to Plasma are power consumption, heat and weight, and not to mention that they cant make them (in a practical manor) in 4K.
You can still get boards for the last releases from Panasonic but only about half the boards.

What model TV do you have and what is the problem?  Also if you already know the boards number please post it, I will see if I can locate it for you.

73s
Rob

Technology is dead, but the picture quality of the last plasma generation (from 6 years ago) is only now was reached by OLED (not QLED - which is still LCD will all their issues applied). Thus the TV purchased 6 years ago for $3K can now be replaced by new OLED TV  for the same money - still $3K.

There is nothing wrong with my two plasma TVs, I just want to make a point that $3K TV gets obsolete if it fails after 5 years. Thus I do not see a reason to complain when $3K HF amplifier gets obsolete if it fails after the same 5 years. Manufacturer's now do not stock spare parts after last sold unit is out of warranty (usually 1 year, rarely two). We just hope that solid state amplifiers are robust enough to have LOW PROBABILITY of failure within 10 years of service and thus unlikely need digital circuit boards to be replaced. Analog circuit boards could likely still be repairable at component level by third party vendors.

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2019, 11:01:36 PM »

Technology is dead, but the picture quality of the last plasma generation (from 6 years ago) is only now was reached by OLED (not QLED - which is still LCD will all their issues applied). Thus the TV purchased 6 years ago for $3K can now be replaced by new OLED TV  for the same money - still $3K.

There is nothing wrong with my two plasma TVs, I just want to make a point that $3K TV gets obsolete if it fails after 5 years. Thus I do not see a reason to complain when $3K HF amplifier gets obsolete if it fails after the same 5 years. Manufacturer's now do not stock spare parts after last sold unit is out of warranty (usually 1 year, rarely two). We just hope that solid state amplifiers are robust enough to have LOW PROBABILITY of failure within 10 years of service and thus unlikely need digital circuit boards to be replaced. Analog circuit boards could likely still be repairable at component level by third party vendors.

I use to do and still do for some of my older wealthier customers Home Theater installations and Calibrations.  Plasma's got beat almost from the start by OLED.  The first OLED I installed was an LG C6 about 3-4 years ago and that blew away the Panasonic VT60 that it replaced and would have still easily blown past the ZT60.
The 1080P blurays upscaled to 4K resolution alone was a night and day difference and the blacks are on Par or better with the old C6 vs the VT60.

As for QLED I think you need to look at the latest models as those limitations that you are talking about are not nearly as visible.  The variable targeted back lighting makes the blacks  just a bit less black than the current OLEDs.  I recently bought an LG C9 and a Sony A8G to replace an LG C7 and a Panny Plasma I still had in the bedroom.  They are both miles ahead of Plasma technology.  Trust me I was one of the biggest Plasma proponents but after setting up and calibrating my first 4K OLED I realized the war was over.

As for circuit boards you can get just about any board for Sony, Panasonic, LG and others on eBay.  It may take a couple of months for one of the companies to get in a TV with the needed boards and strip it, but I have used eBays alert system to buy boards that I could not find on Shopjimmy.   BTW I have repaired a few Main boards from TV's.  Most of the time it is the HDMI interface chip that dies due to induced voltage from the cable box during lightning storms.  It's not that hard to fix, but going any deeper into repairs is simply not worth it.

As for the 5 year amplifier life expectancy versus a TV, that is an Apples to Oranges comparison.  My Living room TV between the Kids using it and US gets about twelve hours a day of run time, that would be almost 13,000 hours of run time in three years.  My Amp will probably see about 1000 hours of run time in 5 years.  I certainly expect it to last longer than 5 years.  MY THP 2.5KFX is at least seven years old and it still looks and works like new.  I would expect nothing less from a device with this low level of complexity so long as it is not abused.

73s
Rob

Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: