The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Problem With Some Clubs  (Read 2314 times)
N1OEY

Ignore
« on: June 02, 2019, 08:22:43 AM »

Being relatively new to the world of radio I had never been a member of a radio club obviously. The club I am now a member of has some great guys that have been doing this for many years some even as careers so the knowledge base is very good at our club. What seems to be lacking is a level of participation in getting equipment and related components running smoothly.

It seems to always fall on just a few people and as you can imagine after a time that tends to wear down the ones that volunteer their time and often money to make things better for all the members. I guess what I am leading to is has anyone else experienced this and was there any steps you tried to get people more involved that worked?

Many of our current members do have other jobs and responsibilities but a good number as well are retired like me and have the ability to volunteer to help as I do when needed. As I am sure most are aware a radio club normally isn't rolling in money since the membership is usually smaller and the yearly dues are not going to maintain your repeater and so on. I just want to see the club do better since it seems that the membership is dwindling.
KE8IWM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 12:49:41 PM »

That seems to be the case with every organization with which I've been involved, the ten percent rule.  10% willing to do the work and 90% willing to let 'em,
AE5GT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 05:03:11 PM »

Being relatively new to the world of radio I had never been a member of a radio club obviously. The club I am now a member of has some great guys that have been doing this for many years some even as careers so the knowledge base is very good at our club. What seems to be lacking is a level of participation in getting equipment and related components running smoothly.

It seems to always fall on just a few people and as you can imagine after a time that tends to wear down the ones that volunteer their time and often money to make things better for all the members. I guess what I am leading to is has anyone else experienced this and was there any steps you tried to get people more involved that worked?

Many of our current members do have other jobs and responsibilities but a good number as well are retired like me and have the ability to volunteer to help as I do when needed. As I am sure most are aware a radio club normally isn't rolling in money since the membership is usually smaller and the yearly dues are not going to maintain your repeater and so on. I just want to see the club do better since it seems that the membership is dwindling.

The only thing that I have seen that works for raising money is a raffle.  You can raise some serious money with a raffle. You just need reasonable ticket prices relative to the winnings. That doesn't really get people involved , you need activities or dog and pony shows for that.
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 03:16:06 AM »

Let me add that sometimes, the ones that do things are berated and talked about like dogs by the ones who don't do anything, even to the point of having lying tales told about them. For me, never again will I join a club...
AE5GT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 08:36:30 AM »

Let me add that sometimes, the ones that do things are berated and talked about like dogs by the ones who don't do anything, even to the point of having lying tales told about them. For me, never again will I join a club...

Some are really private clubs , only for certain people because they want to maintain control,  anybody else that comes in , they run them off . They give the appearance of being open to maintain their ARRL affiliation. Eventually word gets out , and without new members they die off. 

Then there are the "crusaders" they're on a mission . They know what needs to be done and they want the club to do it. Egos come in to play because someone else can stand to see them succeed where they failed. This is where the infighting and the back biting comes in.

Clubs are supposed to be about exchanging ideas, camaraderie , and perhaps achieving some common goal . Instead they all devolve into 3 grade school PSSSing Contests. The only difference is the names have been changed to protect the guilty ,  its elementary school all over again.

But then thats true for any organization. Their bodies grow up , but emotionally never really develop beyond 10. 

There's no cure , You either learn to live with it . or stay out , most stay out or at least keep their association to a minimum.

N1OEY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2019, 07:35:28 AM »

I am beginning to think I may not want to be "in a club" either. I have never been one to do so in the past be it motorcycles, shooting, etc. Not sure why this time except that when we took our first license test they offered a membership at a good price so my friend and I decided to join.

I'm thinking now I realize why I haven't joined other clubs for mainy the reasons already posted her by you guys. Thanks!
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2019, 08:27:24 AM »

REMEMBER:

Organizations exist by manipulating people to do what is in the orgnization's best interest(s) even though it may not be in the person's best interest.

PEOPLE SUPPORT PEOPLE!

ORGANIZATIONS MANIPULATE PEOPLE!

N9LCD  Angry
KX4OM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 05:22:31 PM »

There are successful clubs with no rules, no dues and no officers. They are groups of folks who get together and do stuff that is fun: operating contests, building stuff, helping other members and sharing information. You may be fortunate to find one locally. I've been a member of one for 19 years, but not as active as I used to be. Members can keep in touch via the internet. Rather than a website, my club has a groups.io group.

Ted, KX4OM
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 01:32:21 PM »

Ted:

You're MOT.

Informal groups/organizations are the best ones.

I do "one shot" or "event" volunteer work but skip the planning sessions.  The male bovine feces and bickering get to be too much.

Considering how adults act when in a group, I wonder why we tell kids "GROW UP AND ACT LIKE AN ADULT."

Jerry
 N9LCD
KD2HPQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 11:04:09 AM »

From my perspective, living in semi-rural New Jersey, the clubs are pretty much worthless. They exist for the purpose of merely existing. We run four events per year: Holiday party, winter field day, field day, and a hamfest. For the remaining 48 weekends nobody does a blessed thing that I'm interested in. They maintain their repeaters, sometimes, but nobody is on them. By the time the "business" part of the monthly meeting is over, half the members are ready to go because it's 8:30 and already past their bed times. Efforts to retain members is close to nonexistent. Mentoring (I DETEST "Elmer") is nonexistent. And yes, 10% do 90% of the work but it's nothing like running a chess club, which I did for 2 years, and which involves 4-6 hours PER WEEK, 48 weeks a year.

Christopher Hitchens said right after the Rev. Jerry Falwell's demise that if you gave Falwell an enema you could bury him in a matchbox. I didn't agree but it's an interesting idea. Similarly, if you removed the tradition and nostalgia from this hobby you could bury it in a box the size of the Yaesu VX-3.
KD2HPQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2019, 11:21:45 AM »

There are successful clubs with no rules, no dues and no officers. They are groups of folks who get together and do stuff that is fun: operating contests, building stuff, helping other members and sharing information. You may be fortunate to find one locally. I've been a member of one for 19 years, but not as active as I used to be. Members can keep in touch via the internet. Rather than a website, my club has a groups.io group.

Ted, KX4OM

I would love to join something like this. Our club is all about the business of being a club.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2019, 09:21:56 AM »

One club in particular has it all, but it is still a "club" in as much as it has officers, etc.  The main drawback is that it is incorporated, so it must have club officers.  It has a good source of income, has no dues, and so on, and the club is prospering. 

I was a long time menber before the club was 'invaded' by another group that thought it could take over.  I was one of the voices that spoke out in warning about it when this other group tried to change the bylaws to favor the newcomers, and was asked to leave.  I got no support from the older club members at all, and nobody spoke in my defence at the meeting where I was told I was no longer welcome.

Now, the long time club members have gotten rid of the newcomers, and I've been asked if I wanted to rejoin by a long time member.  I am thinking about it, but I feel betrayed by those who didn't offer support when the going got rough, and I don't think I'm going to rejoin.  I feel the problem is the mentality of members who just want to "go with the flow" and not support people who want to keep things on the up and up. 

That one thing, I feel, is the problem with clubs.

K4EMF

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2019, 09:27:09 AM »

A friend of mine who is studying for his tech exam recently visited a club meeting.  Only one of the members even acknowledged his presence.  He tried a different club later that was far more welcoming of a new comer.  Even though it's a much farther drive I dodn't have to tell you which club he decided to join.
K1QQQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2019, 09:59:07 AM »

RE: The Problem With Some Clubs
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 08:36:30 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote
Quote from: NA4IT on June 03, 2019, 03:16:06 AM

Some are really private clubs , only for certain people because they want to maintain control,  anybody else that comes in , they run them off . They give the appearance of being open to maintain their ARRL affiliation. Eventually word gets out , and without new members they die off. 

Then there are the "crusaders" they're on a mission . They know what needs to be done and they want the club to do it. Egos come in to play because someone else can stand to see them succeed where they failed. This is where the infighting and the back biting comes in.

Clubs are supposed to be about exchanging ideas, camaraderie , and perhaps achieving some common goal .

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Unfortunately the negative things I have seen on this thread are true.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I listened to the local repeaters after Field Day and as normal almost nothing on the repeaters.  (why did I invest in VHF/UHF equipment ?)

One repeater the conversations struck me as abnormal. Everybody was called to give a few comments on Field Day. Everything sounded positive. There was no ridicule of anybody. There was really no ego showing as to putting people down that have fewer resources. Everybody besides Field Day (the topic was Field Day) had their various aspects of hobby interest and such was respected. Where are the ones that know everything ?

I could go on with negatives but usually every time I say something negative sounding I get cursed.

I sometimes look at it like this.  Millions in the population around you and do you get along with most ? Clubs that used to have hundreds of members down to about zero. Not everybody died. Not to sound like a shrink but is life long enough to get involved in nothing but negative BS ?  There are other hobbies.

grrr Maybe the club to join.....
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 10:01:27 AM by K1QQQ » Logged
KC6RWI

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2019, 10:34:28 AM »

I went to a open house field day at a local park. Its was ok, only a hand full of club members, I saw some radio equipment and gave a them an email address.
I was got an email a few days later, an invitation to join the club as well as an invitation to make a donation.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: