The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Problem With Some Clubs  (Read 2313 times)
K1QQQ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2019, 10:50:45 AM »

Excuse me...just some thoughts before I shut up...

Listening to the repeater a little more. (although most have almost no activity)

I am trying to figure out how to mention something without naming anybody.

The ego thing. Probably most have to have some degree of ego. Maybe even for contests you sort of have to pump yourself up.

One club. Only a few members or more appropriate a few left.

Person(s) know everything. I just heard talk of they quit jobs all the time because they are so much in demand they get paid more.

The old fiction thing. Newcomers often know little so you can feed them anything without questions. Nobody questions anything they hear presuming all 'hams' are 100% in tune with truth.

Even a simple question about how long licensed brings fiction. Like who cares but just for accurate conversation.

3 HF rigs. 2 for some reason quit and all are kept off site. The working one comes back as I FIXED IT. An ongoing process. Did you ever know anybody that fixed all radios..all....and you never even saw any test instruments ?

My suggestion let others learn or observe ? All elsewhere ?

I KNOW EVERYTHING. It seems the original idea of a club was maybe help others know everything or almost ?

Time for me to shut up. I could always be wrong as to observations.

W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2019, 06:02:16 PM »

Huh?!?

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2019, 05:00:44 PM »

1.  Officers and board members are elected for an organization

2.  It's election time and nobody steps forward to run for the board or an office.

3.  The existing board and officers are reelected.

4.  Steps 2 & 3 are repeated any number of times.

5.  The organization becomes the "PROPERTY of the board and the officers.

6.  Questions & suggestions come to be regarded as personal insults.

7.  Only the board, the officers and their cronies remain.

I know.  I've been through so many times in the last 55+ years.

N9LCD 
KD0ZGW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2019, 06:16:34 AM »

Wow!  I guess I should appreciate my local club more.  Certainly we have "personalities" but the club does public event communications, an annual hamfest, field day, Boy Scouts, and SkyWarn and everyone seems to get along well the vast majority of the time.

I was a rookie 5 years ago and the club was a lot of help to a newbie. No one ever made me feel stupid and I definitely asked some "stupid" questions.
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2019, 03:15:52 PM »

A friend of mine who is studying for his tech exam recently visited a club meeting.  Only one of the members even acknowledged his presence.  He tried a different club later that was far more welcoming of a new comer.  Even though it's a much farther drive I dodn't have to tell you which club he decided to join.

This pretty much mirrors my experience right after I obtained my Technician license.  Needless to say, it wasn't long before I became an officer of that welcoming club and I'm now in my seventh year as the club President.
AC2RY

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2019, 09:12:04 AM »

Club is important when people engage in some activity that is too expensive to be part of on their own.

Examples are:
- building competitive contest station and participate in major contests with a goal to get into the top somewhere (state, country, worldwide).
- building EME station
- building regional AREDN network and actively participating in emergency preparedness at county or state level
- Experimenting with microwave communications (above 10GHz)

All of this requires investing significant time and money, and pooling that together in a club (formal or informal) multiplies the result.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 09:15:12 AM by AC2RY » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: