The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unboxing an HQ-180A  (Read 1519 times)
W2JJV

Ignore
« on: June 02, 2019, 12:52:01 PM »

I was very lucky about ten years ago to purchase a mint--perfect condition HQ-180A from the original owner who took wonderful care of this receiver.  At the time I got it some of the controls were a bit scratchy and the bandswitch required a little jiggling but I lived with it.  At this point I'd like to get inside and do some cleaning and lubricating to get it restored.  It appears from the condition of the screwheads and reports from the owner that it was probably never opened before.  Having more than a little OCD, and reading the manual about removing the rig from the case, I'm a bit nervous about causing any damage.  Consequently I would appreciate any advice you could offer on two aspects of this project. 

Any guidance on removing the case--this particular case is the one with the two phillips-head screws on top of the cabinet, just outside the hinged access lid.  I assume they release the little clips that anchor the cabinet to the face.  And there are the usual hex head bolts on the back.  Second,  I have always used the De-Oxit spray D5 on my other receivers, but I dread the overspray that inevitably occurs--I noticed that there are now several variations of De-Oxit available and also several types of applicators, so any thoughts on that process woul dalso be appreciated.

Part of me wants to just leave it alone and continue to jiggle but I would really like to get it back to working as it should. 

Many thanks, 73--

David
WA4NJY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 04:14:15 AM »

From recent memory.

The SLOT control is at the upper panel edge and could be caught on cabinet if you lift the front panel too much.

There is an article on a 180.  Google "wireless girl".  You may have to dig a bit to find it and other good articles.   She is very knowledgeable on radios.

Ed WA4NJY

Bradenton, Fl

K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 01:21:41 PM »

Leaving it alone is no fun, you HAVE to mess with it!!

The manual (available on BAMA) shows you what screws to remove to get the chassis out; it is easy. And yes, watch the slot control. I use the D5 on a Q-tip for the band switch stuff and long nozzle De-Oxit to spray SPARINGLY into the pots. But I wrap paper towels all around where I am spraying to catch any splatter; it can screw up your dial.

paul
AC2NZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 03:58:04 PM »

I have previously owned a HQ-145AC and a HQ-160, and as I recall the best way to remove the case is to place the radio face-down on a padded surface (a couple folded towels should do) and remove the screws at the back of the chassis, then lift off the perforated case. I don't remember the two screws you mention in the top of the case; you may have to remove them, but you may not. Try *not* first...

If you don't have the service manual you can most likely find it at <mods.dk> for download. That'll show you how to disassemble the radio.

73, John
KE0ZU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 07:19:20 AM »

Hello David,

I'm a bit late to the party, but I do agree that you may not have to remove the two screws on the top.   Neither my 180, or 170 have the screws you mention.

I do have a suggestion however, for working on big old comm radios, and that is to use a couple 15 or so inch long pieces of 2" X 2" wood to set the front edges of your radio on.

Obviously, this isn't a 180 but, the pics do illustrate how they are used.

And here you see the spacing the two pieces provide.    Makes getting covers on and off a lot easier.

Regards, Mike
https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/
Pics and bold print are usually links.
KB4MNG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 04:33:20 AM »

The 180 is an awesome very complex receiver. Ditto on the slot control. The one I had, the control had caught on something and was destroyed. Lucky enough to find a replacement.

Not much you can do far as tweaking the receiver back to spec if needed. Need special equipment.

I put it on craigslist, and was very surprised when someone contacted me and drove 2 hours to get it.
W2JJV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 11:51:21 AM »

Thanks all--looking forward to this task when the weather turns--Appreciate all the useful and supportive advice.  I know it will be worth the effort!

73, David
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 05:45:04 PM »

Thanks all--looking forward to this task when the weather turns--Appreciate all the useful and supportive advice.  I know it will be worth the effort!

73, David

Spray some deoxit into a small container so the liquid accumulates, get the amount you think you need. Then get a hypodermic needle and suck some of the liquid up. Then just use the needle to put the deoxit exactly where you want it.  Smiley

Help out the Club Log QSL Card Tagging Project - Tag DX QSL Cards
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 09:31:49 AM »

73, David

Spray some deoxit into a small container so the liquid accumulates, get the amount you think you need. Then get a hypodermic needle and suck some of the liquid up. Then just use the needle to put the deoxit exactly where you want it.  Smiley

Or just buy the D-100 with the needle dispenser which is fine for many if not most jobs. For the tricky jobs I use a piece of stiff #20 tinned wire and bend as needed and with a tiny drop on it.

Carl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: