The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can Icom's RS-BA1 be downloaded ?  (Read 852 times)
EI3IBB

Ignore
« on: June 07, 2019, 02:39:35 AM »

I can't seem to find it anywhere. seems to only be available in cd format and I have not used a cd in years and I don't have a cd drive in my laptop nor had I in my previous laptop.

Seems crazy if it can't be downloaded.

Where I live it takes days for stuff because most HAM stuff can't be bought in Ireland, I could download it in minutes lol.
W6IR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 01:21:06 PM »

All I'll say is Google is your friend. Seek and ye should find it.
EI3IBB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 12:18:10 AM »

I'm all Googled out, can't find it for download , just doesn't exist, I'm amazed, truly amazed in this day and age you can't purchase direct from Icom.

I now have to find someone with cd rom drive to make an iso of the disk, incredible, well done Icom ! lol.

I ordered the disk from Italy, so will probably have it by next weekend !

Icom should realise that there are people living on small islands with small populations and have no access to a lot or most ham radio gear without ordering through the internet.
W5UAA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 01:45:11 PM »

Every CD of RS-BA1 is *licensed* software.  Each CD comes with a "license key" tied to that particular CD.  This is probably why you can't just download it.

Just wait until you try to figure out the instructions.  It's easy to see it was translated from Japanese and my only advise to you when you do read the instructions is to print them out, read them from page one to page last, highlight the sections which apply to your specific situation and what you're trying to accomplish, and red-X the sections that don't apply.  Pencil in all data that you plan to enter as you read through the instructions (highlighting the steps appropriate and red-xing the sections that don't apply) before you actually start setting it up.  Then make appropriate changes to your penciled notes after you realize what they're asking you to enter (like changing some descriptive names to make them more descriptive...)  Then do it... step by step.

It's repetitive and the terminology used is not standard networking terminology.

If you don't have a basic understanding of how the internet works, prepare to get frustrated. (IP addressing, ports, firewall-on both sides, host name(s), etc.)  And get help from the start.

If you are an internet engineer, prepare to get frustrated.  I'll tell you how to *not* get frustrated as an internet engineer:  Follow the instructions step by step.  It doesn't follow the typical steps a network engineer would follow to set something like this up.  (User registration first, then radio registration... what?  yes, in that order...)  That is probably the most important lesson I learned. 

They call the "server" part of this software the "base station PC" and the "client" part of this software the "remote station".

It works well once you get it working!  (I remoted my 7300 with it.)

Good luck!
KC6KNL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 05:51:26 PM »

When you use the CD, you are basically getting and installing the original version 1.0.  This is where you are requested to enter in your Product ID and License Key.  Afterwards, you install updates, which no longer require Product ID or License Key because they are permanently burned into the RS-BA1 installation.

The updates to RS-BA1 can be downloaded from Icom's Website and can be installed as an update to prior versions,

There are some photos of RS-BA1 online.
https://www.google.com/search?q=icom+rs-ba1&tbm=isch

Updates Icom Website
http://www.icom.co.jp/world/support/download/firm/#rs-ba1

Thread on this
https://www.austech.info/showthread.php/82462-RS-BA1-icom-software
K6JH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 05:53:36 PM »

Can you download and install the updates, and then install the key from the CD version by hand, without installing the original CD version software? OP doesn't have a CD drive any more.

Jim K6JH
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: