The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FTDX3000 SSB Tips  (Read 829 times)
AJ2I

Ignore
« on: June 12, 2019, 06:33:15 AM »

Just bought a FTDX3000 from HRO, last one I believe! I've been reading the manual and learning as much as I can. Any tips/tricks? I've heard using the contour in a positive manner can really help pull in signals out of the noise. I also heard something about menu 121 can also be useful, although I couldn't find much in the manual about it. I only operate SSB so looking for those sort of Pro tips.

Any help is appreciated
KB7TT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 08:13:05 AM »

configure the contour as a peaking filter with a +15 peak.  Then tune thru the SSB signal and peak the audio between 1000 and about 1500 hz to your taste to pull out weak signals.  You can also use the DNR in parallel with the contour to add some additional help.  I find DNR to work well on setting 3,4, or5 on my FTDX 5000 which works the same as the 3000.
KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 06:00:40 AM »

I owned a 3000 between 2012 to 2017, used mostly on ssb and cw and only had one problem but was solved with finding a service adjustment in the service manual which was an under biased PA transistor issue. The Peak filter works great and like the other poster said slight adjustments on the DNR like setting 3 worked well without sounding like its under water but there is one thing to watch for and that is NEVER over adjust the ALC on this rig, keep it at 2/3rds scale max at any time plus use about 5db of compression otherwise the radio can get wide really fast if monitored on a spectrum analyzer. This because the way Yaesu has done there alc in this whole line of rigs since the FT2000 all the way up to the 5000, it makes the radio they say sound louder but gets vert touchy as far as spectrum abuse, I have seen this issue with not only the 3000 but the 5000 as well, not many issues in the 1200 but many of the 2000 rigs did have this as well.
Enjoy the radio its a nice rig and at the newer price compared to what I paid for it back then its a steal!
K6BRN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 04:59:03 AM »

Hi James  (KX2T):

NEVER over adjust the ALC on this rig, keep it at 2/3rds scale max at any time plus use about 5db of compression otherwise the radio can get wide really fast if monitored on a spectrum analyzer.

I've never had a rig where driving the audio past the ALC safe zone (which usually saturates the final amplifier) did NOT generate TX distortion and cause the signal to widen.  And I've seen no unusual behavior in the TX ALC of the FTDX-3000 (or -1200, or -991, which are all similar) on SSB, FT-8 (etc.) and FM (except on FM the TX settings in the manual are wrong).

If you were comparing the FTDX-3000 to another rig that has much more headroom (conservatism) "baked" into the max point on the TX ALC scale, it might SEEM more forgiving.  Especially if ALC action started earlier with a much more gentle limiting curve.

But SOME event made you take note of what seemed to be unusual TX distortion (signal widening) on SSB - since I use two of these AND two FT-991s across 3 different locations, I'm a curious user and would like to hear more about the experience, just to be aware of the possibility and avoid problems.

I do connect a spectrum analyzer ( a REAL one), oscilloscope or GPSDO frequency counter to my station just after the amplifier (via a Wavenode RF tap) to monitor TX waveform quality, although most of the time its just a Telepost LP-700 and its spectral display plus counter.

Thanks!

Brian - K6BRN
N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 08:30:34 PM »

Also, use the Yaesu transmit monitor and listen for yourself. Adjust the EQ settings until you like the transmit audio.
AJ2I

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2019, 05:18:13 PM »

configure the contour as a peaking filter with a +15 peak.  Then tune thru the SSB signal and peak the audio between 1000 and about 1500 hz to your taste to pull out weak signals.  You can also use the DNR in parallel with the contour to add some additional help.  I find DNR to work well on setting 3,4, or5 on my FTDX 5000 which works the same as the 3000.

Thanks for the tips! What about using the AGC slope setting and the HF ssb shape (Sharp, moderate) etc?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: