The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First HF Amp... Palstar LA-1K va ACOM 1200S  (Read 1893 times)
NA6US

Ignore
« on: June 12, 2019, 10:34:46 PM »

Looking for an amp for my Radios and am interested in an Amp that can be combined with RF sensing to support remote operations. Any throughts on the better Amp or another Linear Amp you want to recommend?

Thanks!
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 07:45:04 AM »

Neither of these amplifiers have RF sensing. Ham amplifiers use a key line from the amplifier that activate the amplifier buy grounding the key line at the radio.
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 07:49:03 AM »

Neither one of these amps have a built-in tuner. If you're going to use it in a remote situation, you'll also need a high power auto tuner to prevent them from faulting if your antenna(s) have an SWR in excess of approximately 1.9:1 anywhere in their bandwidth. Even over 1.5:1, they'll fold back power. Probably better off to go with one of the SPE Expert amps with ATU built-in. They claim seamless remote operation.

73, Bob K7JQ
N1UB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 08:20:41 AM »

I've had the LA-1K for over a year now and it's a very nice amp ! It is RF sensing in the fact it will auto tune and auto band switch for you, even in standby mode. You do need a key line. There is software called TRX Manager that will let you remotely operate the LA-1K, you do need a means of controlling the power switch or just leave it on all the time. I use a Flex 6400 and remote with that and can tune my Palstar HF Auto tuner remotely, which I also recommend.
NA6US

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 09:38:54 AM »

Neither of these amplifiers have RF sensing. Ham amplifiers use a key line from the amplifier that activate the amplifier buy grounding the key line at the radio.

My apologies, automated frequency sensing/band switching. Cable from my radio to close on transmit and I would set appropriate delays in software.
NA6US

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 09:39:49 AM »

Neither one of these amps have a built-in tuner. If you're going to use it in a remote situation, you'll also need a high power auto tuner to prevent them from faulting if your antenna(s) have an SWR in excess of approximately 1.9:1 anywhere in their bandwidth.

73, Bob K7JQ

I have the HF-AUTO 1500w tuner so covered there.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 11:28:24 AM »

My apologies, automated frequency sensing/band switching. Cable from my radio to close on transmit and I would set appropriate delays in software.

Both have auto band switching.
KB6HRT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 12:41:39 PM »

If I were going to change amplifiers that I already have which are both tube ACOM's I would try the ACOM 1200 only because of the good luck I have had with the 3 ACOM amplifiers I have had in the past an the ACOM 1200 is on its second remake it has gone through now an the growing pains are behind ACOM now. ACOM1200 will do full power out with around 25 or less watts drive, where the Plaster requires just a tad more drive for its 1200w..................73s..............kb6hrt
AC2RY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 07:07:44 PM »

At kW and higher power level, I suggest NOT to rely on auto-sensing, but implement proper control integration between transceiver, amplifier and tuner. For then you will need control link between your radio, amplifier and tuner. That will allow amplifier to follow transceiver frequency BEFORE you stat transmit and also allow ONLY explicitly initiated tuning cycles. You do not want tuner to do adjustment on full power. Most transceivers have tuner control interface for that purpose.
NY4Q

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 04:32:11 AM »

I've been looking at this.

http://www.linamp.co.uk/gemini_HF.html

W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2019, 05:21:54 AM »

That is a nice amp. Do they have local service or will you need to ship it oversees for in and out of warranty service?

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2019, 09:14:49 AM »

That comes out to about $2350 US dollars. Shipping should not be bad. The amplifier company has been in business a long time.
NA6US

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2019, 11:06:48 AM »

Wow!! I like it!! Thanks for sharing. Do we need to wait for FCC approval?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 11:18:40 AM by NA6US » Logged
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2019, 01:17:23 PM »

Hmm I am wondering what the "External Low Pass Filters (Not Supplied)" exactly means in terms of the real price?

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
NA6US

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2019, 01:45:34 PM »

Hmm I am wondering what the "External Low Pass Filters (Not Supplied)" exactly means in terms of the real price?

I read the manual - Appears to be needed only for 460Khz.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: