The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I miss Radio Shack.  (Read 10629 times)
W0BKR

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2019, 01:20:09 PM »

I miss the in and out in getting a quick fix for something I am working on...now have to order on line from somewhere...and wait...
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2019, 01:28:53 PM »

It's a sad time for almost every store that sells any kind of electronics.
Computer sales are almost dead.  New cars are rapidly becoming incompatible with stereo systems from Pioneer and Kenwood.  The Data Bus lines on the newer vehicles are interfaced to the HU on the stereo, so unless your willing to do without the cars features your stuck with the factory OEM unit.  Cell phones are now almost completely sold online and home stereo's are getting there also.  I don't know if the pendulum will ever swing back to brick and mortar stores but I sure hope so.

73s
Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
N9FB

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2019, 04:48:33 PM »

I don't know if the pendulum will ever swing back to brick and mortar stores but I sure hope so.

ironically, i recently read that amazon is going to be opening brick & mortar book stores:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/annaschaverien/2018/12/29/amazon-online-offline-store-retail/#719377285128
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2019, 03:56:03 AM »

I don't know if the pendulum will ever swing back to brick and mortar stores but I sure hope so.

ironically, i recently read that amazon is going to be opening brick & mortar book stores:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/annaschaverien/2018/12/29/amazon-online-offline-store-retail/#719377285128

It makes sense from the standpoint that Amazon has already set up major distribution points in many states. It would be a relatively easy step to either change them to public access points or build annexed stores where the public can walk in, examine the item and walk out with it.  As large as Amazon is, they realize that not every shopper buys via on-line.
W8LV

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2019, 07:13:14 PM »

Yep... Still miss Radio Shack::

https://www.eham.net/articles/34011

73 DE W8LV BILL
W8LV

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2019, 08:18:01 PM »

I couldn't add this earlier, because my comment "timed out"...
But the wierdest thing about RS was that for DECADES I wondered just when they were going to fold, everytime I either went to or drove by one.

Sadly? I feel the same way about General Motors everytime I go by a Dealership.

And Ford: After they announced that they are no longer going to build cars.
Their reasoning? Nobody wants cars anymore... Instead they just want trucks and SUVs.

Yet I see Toyota and Hyundai selling LOTS of... Well....
CARS!

Recently, I saw someone "win" a Chevrolet on a TV Game Show.
And the downward "smile" of "The Winner" of said Chevy was a telling sign.

What happened to my Childhood World, where everybody worked at either the the Ford Stamping Plant or New Deperature (GM) in Sandusky, Ohio and they were up and Running 24/7?

73 DE W8LV BILL

EVERY Radio Shack catalogue is here:

http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com

RS (and soon I fear, GM):
Thanks for the Memories!

73 DE W8LV BILL
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2019, 06:58:19 AM »

Radio Shack:  https://www.radioshack.com/  Still around but very few brick and mortar stores left, mostly on line sales like everyone else.

GM and Ford are doing OK, Ford was smart because it costs about the same to build a small SUV as it does to build a sedan so profit margins are higher.  Plus, most people don't really buy American sedans but they do buy American trucks and SUV's almost exclusively.
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2019, 06:08:57 PM »

Radio Shack:  https://www.radioshack.com/  Still around but very few brick and mortar stores left, mostly on line sales like everyone else.

GM and Ford are doing OK, Ford was smart because it costs about the same to build a small SUV as it does to build a sedan so profit margins are higher.  Plus, most people don't really buy American sedans but they do buy American trucks and SUV's almost exclusively.

GM is doing OK, but Ford is not.  They are facing one bejesus of a problem with the transmissions their vehicles have been using for the past several years that are failing at an alarming rate.  When they said cars aren't selling, they were talking about their cars.  They are not totally abandoning the market, as the Mustang is living on, and other than that and trucks, they will still be producing SUV style vehicles.
W8LV

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2019, 07:05:02 PM »

As far as GM goes,
"The Switch from Hell" pretty much eroded my confidence in them completely:

Documentary: The Switch from Hell:
https://youtu.be/Pwt1Dc2XD6Q

All that I can wonder when I see a GM product rolling down the road is:
What defects do we NOT know about them?

Not that they are the only Car Manufacturer do have the shame...
But I think that pretty much takes the cake.

73 DE W8LV BILL
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2019, 12:46:27 PM »

I think by far the biggest problem these days, whether it be cars or cell phones, is software related issues. Sure,some of Ford's transmission problems could be mechanical, but sensors going bad are a huge problem for all cars. This phone screen will freeze, and won't scroll at times, because of software issues. It's really annoying when you spend big $. If only we could go back to less electronics, most of these issues would probably go away. Meanwhile my 60 year old Zenith radios work just fine... Cry
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2019, 01:04:18 PM »

Drove a 96 Toyota Camry for 22 years.
Never replaced a sensor. Still had the original alternator. Original transmission. Never any trouble with the fuel injectors.

I did have to replace the EGR Vacuum Modulator Valve, to pass the emissions test once. With proper trouble-shooting, I only purchased and replaced one part, under $50.

Don't see myself playing games with Ford again. I value reliability.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: