The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Omni VII Plus --Ten Tec is back  (Read 4326 times)
WB8NUT

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2019, 07:12:15 AM »

Actually, he did ask for my advice several years ago on website tools that I use. If you also read his comments a few years back (I think they are on QRZ), he did make mention that compared to the comments from others, at least mine were constructive.

I believe Mike may be a great engineer for all I know. One thing for sure is that I am not a good judge of engineering talent. I am however a very good business generalist and excellent at sales and marketing. These are some areas I think Mike needs help with to really get TenTec back to where it was ten years ago.

In spite of what others may think, I do wish him the best and success. His path is not the one I would have chosen for TenTec, and I have made that clear. His path may work, I just think it is going to take a long time to do it his way. I also think the longer he takes to build the business, the more customers and potential customers will lose faith and fall away. Can you imagine if GM took four years or more after their business collapsed to start building cars again how that would have impacted their future success?

I use the 2019 Hamvention as an example of missing a major opportunity. Nothing around the Omni 7+ to note it is coming back in a few weeks. Nothing to draw a customer's attention to the radio to have a discussion. That is the largest ham radio gathering in the world and a huge miss of an opportunity. There should have been balloons and huge "new" and "coming soon" all around that radio; but nothing. I walked right past the TenTec display several times as did the friends I was with thinking, same old stuff on display and nothing new so keep moving.

If Mike is going to run the business and do the engineering work, then he really needs to find someone to do sales and marketing to get some excitement going around the new TenTec.
N9FB

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2019, 07:55:25 AM »

thanks for the non-adversarial, constructive, reply. 

2019 Hamvention on-site video interview of Ten-Tec owner: https://youtu.be/RqvCDt6X5eA

N9FB

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2019, 06:26:06 AM »

If Mike is going to run the business and do the engineering work, then he really needs to find someone to do sales and marketing to get some excitement going around the new TenTec.

at some point he probably plans to do that, but right now he is still in the very early stages of transitioning Ten-Tec from a focus on the commercial business (which brings in revenue) to fully updating the Ten-Tec line.  

the Ten-Tec website quote below was taken from earlier this year --

The Ten Tec team is working on production improvements to our facility and business. We are fully occupied with our commercial business at this time. When I have capacity the next step is to run the first batch of Omni 7+ which is the Omni 7 with some minor cosmetic changes and improvements such as a flat metal front for improved shielding. Following this we are releasing the Super Eagle which brings into the Eagle most of the DSP features found on the Orion II and is the first step on the path to the Orion III. This is different hardware from existing product so it is not a firmware upgrade. There are no firm dates or guarantees for when these things will occur.
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2019, 07:40:47 AM »

at some point he probably plans to do that, but right now he is still in the very early stages of transitioning Ten-Tec from a focus on the commercial business (which brings in revenue) to fully updating the Ten-Tec line.  

The Ten Tec team is working on production improvements to our facility and business. We are fully occupied with our commercial business at this time. When I have capacity the next step is to run the first batch of Omni 7+ which is the Omni 7 with some minor cosmetic changes and improvements such as a flat metal front for improved shielding. Following this we are releasing the Super Eagle which brings into the Eagle most of the DSP features found on the Orion II and is the first step on the path to the Orion III. This is different hardware from existing product so it is not a firmware upgrade. There are no firm dates or guarantees for when these things will occur.

You are an interesting personality.  You just flame anyone who utters even the slightest hint that Ten Tec might not be all that and a bag of chips, but you have not purchased an Omni VII+.  Why not?
N9FB

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2019, 08:41:02 AM »

Quote from: WB8NUT

Quote from: N9FB

Quote from: KA4DPO
You are an interesting personality.  You just flame anyone who utters even the slightest hint that Ten Tec might not be all that and a bag of chips, but you have not purchased an Omni VII+.  Why not?

There is of course no rule against it, but why it is that literally hundreds of your posts here on eham here have been spent badmouthing Ten-Tec? Dont you own an Icom 7610???  did you ever take Mike up on his request that you call him on the phone to discuss your questions about TT?  my presence here is because i would like to see Ten-Tec come back and prosper and, lest these threads be little more than detractors like you throwing peanuts from the gallery, i figure it is worth my time to try to relay actual information from TT itself as a sort of counter-balance.   As it is, I am very happy with my Dec 2009 model Jupiter.  I got to play with the Omni VII+ at Hamvention and the new metal front panel & the upgraded user-friendly tactile buttons and buttery smooth turning knobs were nice -- i would love to be in a position to support Ten-Tec and acquire a new xcvr ... if buying a brand new xcvr wouldnt put me in something much too close to this guy's domestic situation:  https://youtu.be/O7kirdtdI1c  Wink
^That^ said, if and when the Super Eagle comes out I will likely be ready to bite the bullet & upgrade regardless.

video interview of the Ten-Tec booth at Hamvention 2019
https://youtu.be/RqvCDt6X5eA

NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2019, 09:18:51 AM »

Slight distraction from the thread but it appears that they have finally gotten the Ten Tec trademark out of limbo.

The current listed owner is now Dishtronix.   http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4805:nrpwj6.2.1

I doubt if they'd go thorugh the trouble and expense of doing that, unless they were serious.

They might have to sell at least 13 of those radios just to pay for the lawyer. Unless they have a cheap lawyer.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 09:24:30 AM by NN4RH » Logged
N9FB

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2019, 06:01:34 AM »

Looks like the TT website store has an updated pic of the Omni VII+ now; some day these original versions of the TT Omni VII+ may be worth a lot to collectors:

https://www.tentec.com/store/
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2019, 08:11:16 AM »

If a lawyer is any good at all he (or she) will not be cheap.  Hopefully Ten Tec is doing a good business outside of the amateur market.
Art
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2019, 07:57:31 PM »

If a lawyer is any good at all he (or she) will not be cheap.  Hopefully Ten Tec is doing a good business outside of the amateur market.
Art

I don't think they are doing anything outside of the amateur market.
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2019, 06:41:49 AM »

Art

Of course you wouldn't. N9FB has a point.

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
N9FB

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2019, 06:59:10 AM »

Quote from: W9FIB

i think(?) you meant the point that --

[they are] still in the very early stages of transitioning Ten-Tec from a focus on the commercial business (which brings in revenue) to updating & releasing the new Ten-Tec amateur radio xcvr line.

the Ten-Tec website quote below was taken from earlier this year (before the release of the Omni VII+ last month) --

« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 07:08:51 AM by N9FB » Logged
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2019, 07:44:42 AM »

Quote from: W9FIB

i think(?) you meant the point that --

[they are] still in the very early stages of transitioning Ten-Tec from a focus on the commercial business (which brings in revenue) to updating & releasing the new Ten-Tec amateur radio xcvr line.

the Ten-Tec website quote below was taken from earlier this year (before the release of the Omni VII+ last month) --

Here is what commercial/government/military radio receivers look like these days.

http://www.sunairelectronics.com/web/hf-radios/r-9000e-software-defined-mf-hf-ssb-isb-receiver/

This is but one example, there are a dozen more, but suffice to say, all are cutting edge DSP with full networking capability to the latest standards.  It is difficult for me to conceive that any commercial, (non-military, non-government) enterprise would need or want HF receivers. 

If they did I don't think they would want 20 year old stuff considering what's out there, and has been out there in the last ten years or so.

Right now I am waiting to see the new, updated Eagle to see what it brings to the table.  I am also waiting to see a review, not Eham, of the OmniVII+ perhaps by ARRL or Sherwood.
N9FB

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2019, 09:05:01 AM »

Right now I am waiting to see the new, updated Eagle to see what it brings to the table.  I am also waiting to see a review, not Eham, of the OmniVII+ perhaps by ARRL or Sherwood.

Okay so why not stay there then and stop the trend of your incessant (literally hundreds) of posts expressing your endless & repetitive disdain for all things Ten-Tec over the last 5 years here  Huh
i have yet to use it on anyone, but i suppose the "Ignore" button would clean up these threads nicely.  You dont even have the common courtesy to take up the Ten-Tec owner's request that you call him rather than endlessly ranting your negative opinions about TT and its chances of success  Undecided
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2019, 08:39:04 PM »

You dont even have the common courtesy to take up the Ten-Tec owner's request that you call him rather than endlessly ranting your negative opinions about TT and its chances of success  Undecided

That has nothing to do with courtesy.  I have no intention of calling him, or anyone else for that matter.  That is, in my estimation, a very childish game.  I am too old for that kind of nonsense.  Why don't you call him for me.
N5KO
Administrator

« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2019, 10:42:39 AM »

This thread has run its course and has been locked.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: