The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scammer who says her name is Chritine Padilla  (Read 1363 times)
K6RQR

Ignore
« on: July 04, 2019, 07:00:39 PM »

Hello All -
 I was contacted by a scammer who called herself Christine Padilla. No ham call. She said that she was interested in three items from me and when I mentioned that the mike I had was still available she said that she wanted to buy it. Now here is the scam - she said that she would be sending me a cashier's check for more than I was asking as a means of holding it for her and that someone would contact me about shipping the mike to her and collect the over payment that I would owe her. This is when I smelled this for what it was. It sounds so reassuring that the scammer will send you a cashier's check. However, the reality is that the check will end up bouncing and the money you paid to her will disappear. This person may end up changing their name but the scam will remain the same. Don't fall for it.

Bruce  K6RQR
KD8QBW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 11:04:52 AM »

Just hang up!
W0BKR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 12:17:07 PM »

Hello All -
 I was contacted by a scammer who called herself Christine Padilla. No ham call. She said that she was interested in three items from me and when I mentioned that the mike I had was still available she said that she wanted to buy it. Now here is the scam - she said that she would be sending me a cashier's check for more than I was asking as a means of holding it for her and that someone would contact me about shipping the mike to her and collect the over payment that I would owe her. This is when I smelled this for what it was. It sounds so reassuring that the scammer will send you a cashier's check. However, the reality is that the check will end up bouncing and the money you paid to her will disappear. This person may end up changing their name but the scam will remain the same. Don't fall for it.

Bruce  K6RQR

Good catch and thanks for alerting all....get these email responses periodically and find someone has posted about the contact before I can, so I just delete.  You are correct about the checks.  Seen them come in the mail sometimes, kinda rare, but usually drawn on someone else's business name and address.  Pays to be alert.
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 01:23:19 PM »

Hi all. About 10 years ago, I listed a car for sale in the Jacksonville, Florida, Auto-trader.

The price was $56,000. Some guy called me, that could barely speak English. He told me he would bring a Cashier's Check for $60,000 and a car trailer. He would then take the car, and I would give him his $4,000 (in cash, of course!) change.

After my best Navy learned string of expletives, I hung up.

Can there be people out there stupid enough to fall for this type of scam?

ron
N4UE

If you're not the lead sled dog, the view never changes......
K6RQR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 07:03:05 PM »

Thanks for the responses. To the person who said "just hang up" this scammer contacted me by email after reading my ad on QTH.
W0BKR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 12:22:32 PM »

Yep.  Need to read the initial posting for sure.  Pure comedy gold folks.
K4PIH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 06:15:55 AM »

Padilla. Isn't this the one that lives or lived in Las Vegas, was scamming folks starting about 5-6 years ago?
W0BKR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 07:41:12 AM »

Thanks for the responses. To the person who said "just hang up" this scammer contacted me by email after reading my ad on QTH.

That is typically their mode, they look for WTBs and replay with goofy offers.  Never heard of anyone getting a call....LOL
W0BKR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 02:59:16 AM »

Saw another in my Inbox from this nit wit....delete..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: