The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Command Technologies head scratcher??  (Read 587 times)
N2OAM

Ignore
« on: July 07, 2019, 05:23:16 PM »

So I'm at a ham fest today & come across what I thought was an HF-2500 amp at a really attractive price.  Nice cosmetics & when I look through the vent holes I see a PAIR of 3CX800A7's so I ASSUME it's an HF-2500.  Didn't see the HF-1250E label on the front panel till I loaded in into the van & put my glasses on.  Still an exceptional deal, but a pair of 3CX8's for 1300 watts??  When I got home, I popped the cover off 7 everything looks original, no mods.    Does the "E" stand for Export or Euro?  To further confuse things, it has an FCC ID tag on the rear panel.  Exactly what do I have here?  Anyone?

Tnx & 73,
Bob / N2OAM
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 06:09:51 PM »

Bob, maybe the e model had a pulse tube? Just a guess.  However the 2500e had 3 tubes.  Strange.
KA4WJA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 06:36:30 PM »

Bob,
I'm with Lou, it's strange...

But, here are my guesses:

a)  Since the HF-1250  and  HF-2500 had the same cabinet size....and both weighed the same 65lbs...both had same Hypersil xformer....they both had similar / same output tank circuits.
So...
So, perhaps you have an "upgraded" HF-1250...."upgraded" to an HF-2500? (like an Alpha 77Dx can be upgraded to a 77Sx)...
It could've been a factory upgrade (done after production) or a user upgrade?

b)  The HF-1250E was the "export" / "upgraded" version of the US-model?  (like the HF-2500E was the export / upgraded version of the HF-2500)

In any case....if it powers up and amplifies, you got a great deal!
(Fyi, I know some dislike the Command Tech amps....difficult to work on, etc...but they do have a nice clean signal on-the-air!  And, I know of Alpha 87's still running original 3cx800's 20+ years on, so if you don't screw up when tuning (and neither did anyone before you), your 800's should last a while.)

John, KA4WJA
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 06:39:11 PM by KA4WJA » Logged
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 03:53:19 AM »

The two tube version has either a 1500ma or a 2000ma plate meter.  This amp has a 1000ma meter (Bob sent me a photo)  Under normal operating conditions a pair of these tubes loaf a 600ma each of 1200ma for two.  They can be pushed higher for SSB low duty cycle operation.  SO if the amp performs like a 2 tuber should you will be pinning that plate meter under normal conditions.  Bob, you have to set it up into a dummy load and an accurate watt meter and see what it does.
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 04:24:58 PM »

It might be an end of life product before it got picked up by Palstar who did nothing but mess things up and refused to provide any support or answer questions and then sold to AN Wireless. Im on the latters list of authorized service shops.

The meter may have a shunt resistor added to double the reading and a 1250 panel the only choice they had.

Try to find a date code on any easily accessible part including the tubes.

Does the chassis have a removable bottom plate?? That was a Palstar mod and all the filter caps have date codes.

Carl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: