The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to get a "tuning" carrier on an ft991a  (Read 451 times)
N4MQ

Ignore
« on: July 10, 2019, 06:33:39 AM »

I have a capability to send a low carrier on my ftdx3000 for tuning, hit the key in ssb mode. 

There does not appear to be a way to do that in the 991.  Currently I have to switch to the cw position, key the mike and wait for the autotuner to complete, then REMEMBER to switch back to ssb.

Does anyone have a better less intensive process. Thank you in advance, Woody
AA5MT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 09:52:29 AM »

Use am or fm for a constant output power.  With ssb, there is no output without mic noise, or it fluctuates like a vu meter.  On some radios, you can use fsk and hold the mike ptt down. 

The auto tuner injects a signal to sample during tuneup.

Tom 
KC0MYW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 10:45:08 AM »

Are you trying to use the internal tuner or an external one? If external, what tuner are you trying to use with it?

I found a copy of the manual for FT-991A here:
https://static.dxengineering.com/global/images/instructions/ysu-ft-991a_jy.pdf

Page 20 of the manual (page 22 of the pdf) gives a quick overview of the use of the 'Tune' button on the radio
Page 61 of the manual (page 63 of the pdf) has more detail on using the internal tuner

For use with an external tuner, check out the menu listing on pages 121-123 of the manual (123-125 of the pdf) specifically menu item 143
Slightly more detailed information about menu item 143 is on page 137 of the manual (139 of the pdf)
The information on pages 139-140 of the manual (page 141-142 of the pdf) are specific to the FC-40 but would likely apply to other external tuners that could use that interface. (It uses the TUN/LIN jack and the TUNE button on the front of the radio)

I also came across this information that may be helpful:
http://x09.erfunk.de/data/documents/FT-991_with_LDG_AT1000ProII.pdf
(It uses the REM/ALC jack on the radio and the TUNE button on the tuner)

Hopefully some of this information will help you out. If not, maybe someone who has a FT-991A can chime in with more information or else you may need to provide more specifics on what exactly you are trying to do and expecting to happen.
N4MQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 04:21:02 PM »

Iam using the MFJ 998 external auto tuner and going to cw mode and back is tiresome.  My ftdx3000 upstairs has the same autotuner and in the SSB mode I just hit the dash side if my key and it generates a carrier, after setting one of the menu options.  I can not use the internal tuner as I am running the ALS-1306 amplifier, thus the issue. Woody
KC0MYW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 06:14:37 PM »

Maybe check out menu item 055 'CW Auto Mode' and set it to 'On'

It is briefly mentioned on page 129 of the manual (page 131 of the pdf)  and allows your key/paddle to function while in SSB mode.

That would allow you to key down on a straight key and transmit a carrier, tapping the dash side of a paddle would send a dash or holding it would send a string of dashes. That is, with Menu item 012 (see page 125 of the manual [127 of the pdf] and page 80 of the manual [page 82 of the pdf] for details) set to the default ELEKEY-B mode for a paddle or set to OFF for a straight key. If that menu item were set to "BUG" then holding the dash side of a paddle would generate the constant carrier you are after, but your paddle would also 'act' like a bug when using CW which you may or may not want.

The other option would be to check into interface cables and using the 'Tune' button on either the front of the radio or the front of the tuner.
KL7CW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 06:49:39 PM »

There is another possible solution which you may or may not want to use.  That is to construct or buy a simple audio oscillator which inserts say a 600 Hz tone on your SSB signal.  The result is a single carrier.  This oscillator could be electronically introduced into the microphone circuit, or simply hold the microphone near a speaker as you key the oscillator.  One advantage of this method is that you could adjust the audio output of the oscillator to a low enough level so the RF carrier generated by your rig is only a small fraction of it's full output power, but enough for the antenna tuner to function.  Much less probability of "zapping" something in the ATU at lower power levels.  If you accidently key the oscillator and have the PTT pushed, or VOX detects the tone, since you will be operating at a low power level, even if the wrong antenna is selected, not likely to cause harm.  The lower ATU tune power level also will cause less QRM to other stations. You could even use a DPST pushbutton control on the Oscillator.  One section will turn on the Oscillator and the other section will key the PTT circuit.  Very simple, and when you let go of the push button when the tune is complete, everything will go back to the normal configuration.  Nothing to remember. Probably simple audio oscillators on amazon or e bay, perhaps less than $10 and would probably last years on a single 9 volt battery.                Rick   KL7CW
N4MQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 07:44:47 AM »

I thank everyone for the inputs, here are my findings.  The use of the key in ssb mode seems to work like my FTDX3000 in that it will generate a carrier. I tested it the FT991a on 160 , 40, and 50 mhz and the output is about 3+ watts regardless of the power setting control.

The MFJ998 needs like 10- 20 watts to actuate and begin tuning.  Obviously I can not feed into the dummy load as it is 50 ohms and my 860 foot horizontal loop is all over the place depending on my operating frequency, which is why I feed it 600 ohm line thru a balun.

The audio oscillator signal works and I have emulated it by whistling though I can't hold a stable or sustained pitch.  I want to radiate as low a signal as reasonable for the 1-2 seconds tuning is going on.

Again thank all of you for the input, I was trying to tap into the collective info that is out there and may also raise the question that others had not asked about yet. 73, Woody
N4MQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 07:54:25 AM »

SAY WHAT???  No sooner than I posted the response, I tried hitting the key again and it WORKED, and well. Setting 055 to ON made a solid carrier signal and the tuner sees 40-50 watts and I tested it again on all bands 160 thru 50.  Grinning like a kid, IT WORKS  IT WORKS.

Once again I am rewarded by this forum, what a great collective to be a member of, Woody

FT991A carrier is available in the ssb mode by 'keying' the rig thru the key connector, with menu 055 set to ON.
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2019, 12:29:37 PM »

I have opened my mouth and said "aaaaahhhhhhhhh" into the mic.

Start softly, increase volume as the SWR drop.

That works fine, with several autotuners I've used.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: