The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to ham, recommended web and software tools  (Read 397 times)
SIMON123

Ignore
« on: July 11, 2019, 10:24:57 PM »

I am new to ham, for QSO purposes, appreciate pointer to

a) web site (I got out QRZ and eham)

b) software tools

c) software that allow 'on air' without physical station. I live in apartment and real HF transceiver is future plan.

I got echolink and websdr for receive only. Is there remote control station that people kindly open to use?

73 simon VR2UKQ
KC0MYW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 11:32:22 PM »

Welcome to ham radio, there are so many aspects of this hobby that there is something for everyone.

I am new to ham, for QSO purposes, appreciate pointer to

a) web site (I got out QRZ and eham)

There is a huge number of ham radio related websites on the internet. In order to answer this question in a useful manner, you need to tell us what information or type of information you are looking for.

b) software tools

Similar to the above question, there are a lot of different ham radio related software tools that you can use. It just depends on what you are wanting to do. For FT-8 and related modes, the WSJT software is required. For other digital modes such as PSK31, fldigi is the one I have experience with but there are other options as well. Then there are the options for logging software such as N3FJP, N1MM, Ham Radio Deluxe, and many many others. There are also SDR software packages, programming software like RT Systems and Chirp, and the list goes on. If there is a specific action you are looking to accomplish with software, you will need to clarify your requirements before anyone can offer a solution.

c) software that allow 'on air' without physical station. I live in apartment and real HF transceiver is future plan.

I got echolink and websdr for receive only. Is there remote control station that people kindly open to use?

73 simon VR2UKQ

I don't have any direct experience with this type of operating, but what you are referring to is commonly known as a 'remote base' and there is this website:
https://www.remotehams.com/
That website is dedicated to that type of operating and has stations around the globe that members can access and use for both receive and transmit.
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 02:51:27 PM »

www.arrl.org and www.rsgb.org would be good places to start.

-Mike.
SIMON123

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 03:58:55 PM »

Hi KC0MYW,

Many thanks for pointers.

I live in apartment. Setting up HF station will not be my immediate goal, due to antenna and interference limitation, etc.

I just installed ECHOLINK and RemoteHams.com.  What other similar software would the forum recommends?

I am looking for 'remote base' operation that I can receive and transmit both voice and FT8 data mode. I already have FT8 installed and receive via websdr. Now, want to do transmit.

73 Simon VR2UKQ
G4AON

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 01:08:41 AM »

There are license and regulatory issues when operating remotely. Typically operating as ZZ/VR2UKQ (replace ZZ with the remote station country prefix) would require a reciprocal licensing agreement between your countries and you are only allowed to operate for short periods, such as when on holiday. You can’t “just do it” via another country without obtaining the overseas call, or notifying your authorities of your alternative station location if it’s based in H/K.

Many hams in your situation use digital voice, you already have found EchoLink. I use both D-Star and DMR. If there isn’t a local repeater, you can use your own internet connected access point using Pi-Star software on a Raspberry Pi with an MMDVM board. The cost of the Pi setup is low and well supported. It offers a better solution than EchoLink. If you link to G7RPG-L on EchoLink you will hear a lot of D-Star users via “Hubnet” (DCS477B on D-Star), and can join in too. EchoLink is less flexible than DMR/D-Star/Fusion but costs nothing.

73 Dave
SIMON123

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 10:08:49 AM »

1. We are under 'Europe' CEPT reciprocal licensing agreement. I am under the impression that it is 'widely recognized' in many countries. 

2. MMDVM DMR Pi-Star Hotspot. I search this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgBhZvm2y-k

The video shows a hot spot transmits on air to a real digital mode hand held transceiver.  I do not have a digital hand held transceiver.

Is there a way to set up that interface with mic and speaker and without a real digital HT?

Is there a setup that runs on PC or Android phone, so that I can try it out immediately with my hardware on hands now?

What is 'talk group' and how to use it? I watch a short video from OG youtube

73 Simon de VR2UKQ

SIMON123

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 11:08:06 AM »

How to make internet voice QSO without limitation of inter-country Ham License Reciprocity agreement limitation?

Is Echolink person-to-person mode ok? The voice QSO is over internet and not transmit on air

Apart from Echolink, what other software is suitable?

Simon de VR2UKQ

G4AON

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 11:58:48 AM »

The reciprocal license agreement through CEPT is for short term use, from memory it’s a 3 month limit, after which you need to obtain a license for the country in question. I often operate from Spain as EA5/G4AON, but it’s no more than three weeks at a time.

I have a Raspberry Pi Zero W with an MMDVM board running Pi-Star software. There are lots of them on eBay with Chinese copy MMDVM boards. You need the appropriate digital mode handy as well.

73 Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: