The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Headphones,headsets  (Read 843 times)
KC1ACL

Ignore
« on: July 12, 2019, 01:23:00 PM »

I’m looking for recommendations on buying headphones and headsets for a Elecraft kx3. Will be used portable and home station use.thanks,Steven,Kc1acl
G4AON

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 01:28:22 AM »

For several years I’ve used a cheap computer headset and foot switch with my K3. You will need to adapt the KX3 socket to the headset, but there is no need to waste money on an expensive headset... a small plastic project box and fly leads, mount the sockets and you are QRV... my $15 Logitech headset (jack plug, not USB) sounds just as good as anything else.

I also have a KX3, but mostly use it on CW...

73 Dave
KX4QP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 06:31:24 PM »

my $15 Logitech headset (jack plug, not USB) sounds just as good as anything else.

And I've been using a $5 cell phone headset (stereo plus mic on a 3-ring 3.5 mm plug) on my Heath SB-120.  They're correct impedance, and they sound good enough to listen to music on my phone or tablet (yep, I'm old fashioned -- I still own a phone with a headphone jack).  Obviously, the mic doesn't connect, and you might have to jiggle the plug in the 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter to get it to play in both ears, but for five bucks -- well, the adapter I'm using is one that I've been carrying in my pocket literally for years, but if I wanted to buy a new one, it would cost as much as this headset.
VE3WMB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 09:55:51 AM »

I’m looking for recommendations on buying headphones and headsets for a Elecraft kx3. Will be used portable and home station use.thanks,Steven,Kc1acl

Steven :

The Yahama CM-500 computer headset is excellent. I use it on my Flex-1500 and it sounds great on both on TX and RX.
 It is a fraction of the cost of a Heil Headset.

If you want something lighter for portable then I can also recommend the KOSS CS-100 computer headset (make sure to order the non-USB version).

Cheers

Michael VE3WMB

P.S. Here is a link to a relevant  blog posting on using the CM500 with the KX3

https://observer.wunderwood.org/2015/08/16/yamaha-cm500-headset-with-ptt-on-elecraft-kx3/
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 11:22:12 AM »

Also check the Koss SB45 and SB49.
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 06:33:03 PM »

I'll second the Koss SB-45.  Good reviews here, and I just bought one for my club and used it in the IARU contest.  Light, not pricey.

If you use it, set the KX3 TX EQ to cut the lows, below 300 Hz or so.  The mic is really a "full-range" mic, and gives lots of bass.  If there's no TX EQ, try "carrier shift" to accomplish the same thing.

That headset has separate 1/8" plugs for "phones" and "mic".  The mic uses a T/R/S plug, and requires a few volts of bias voltage on R, which I think the KX3 delivers. 

It just occurred to me that, if weight _really matters_, the best headset is a SkullCandy smartphone headset (earbuds and tiny mic).  It doesn't weigh anything, or take up any space (I pack mine in a small pill bottle).  The mic should be adequate, the earbuds are fine for ham radio. 

The ones for Android phones use a standard T/R/R/S plug.  _Somebody_ should make an adapter that you can use, to match whatever the KX3 requires.

But you said "portable and shack", not "backpacking". . .

.   Charles / VA7CPC
K4JPN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2019, 08:34:16 AM »

My 14 year old grandson had a Turtle Beach Head set with a busted cable.  He got a new headset so he gave me his old Turtle Beach Headset.  I rewired the cable for Elecraft K2 head phone jack (the mic was missing).  The headset works great and has excellent response for receiving with my Elecraft K2 on SSB.  It is a little too broadband for CW, and I use a old CB headset for CW.  The old CW headset is quite narrow band and great for CW, but poor for SSB.  So look around for these broke or old computer game headsets.
WB4M

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 09:18:51 PM »

I second G4AON.. cheap computer headset and footswitch (or VOX).  Take it out portable and lose it or step on it and you've lost very little.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: