The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: wanted suggestions on obtaing electrolytic caps for recaping  (Read 928 times)
AK0B

Ignore
« on: July 14, 2019, 05:41:52 PM »

looking for sources of 40 to 100 uf,  450 vdc

thanks, stan ak0b
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 06:02:33 PM »

For near original appearance go to Hayseed Hamfest
https://hayseedhamfest.com/

Some restuff the originals, lots of how-to around, or mount modern leaded ones under the chassis leaving the originals in place

What equipment are you talking about?

Carl

VK6HP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 08:24:12 PM »

Another source worth checking out is Antique Electronic Supply, https://www.tubesandmore.com/

They are good people to deal with.

73, Peter.
VK6HP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 10:55:52 PM »

I also meant to reference Amplified Parts, who are very good, especially with international orders.

https://www.amplifiedparts.com/

K5DH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 05:39:52 AM »

I bought a bag of fifty 47 uF @ 450 WVDC axial lead electrolytic caps with 105 deg C temp rating off eBay a couple of years ago.  That's enough to last me several years.  They ended up costing less than a dollar each in that quantity.  Do some searching and you'll find what you need. 
KF4CZV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 04:39:09 PM »

I’ve been buying caps here for years:
https://www.justradios.com/

I also buy them here:
http://www.tuberadios.com/capacitors/
Sal has good prices and he organizes and marks the individual bags of caps well. My only complaint is that he doesn’t have an online cart system. You have to email him a list of what you want.

Terry
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 06:42:59 PM »

I dont trust most ebay cap sellers and stick to one that I can drive to about 15 miles away and actually fondle the caps, check date codes and test tolerance and ESR, he sells genuine name brand overstock from this area of Silicon Valley East. I buy resistors, diodes, transistors and more in bulk from Mouser

I got snagged years ago by Just Radios with no name Chinese caps that were pure garbage, electrolytic and "film". Dont know if they cleaned up their act.
N1RND

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 04:42:56 PM »

I have been buying for Just Radios for years and been very happy with them.
KC1GCG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 08:08:32 PM »

Ditto on justradios.com
Very happy and great info on their site to guide you on various things related to caps.
Good luck.  K1jrf
KX4OM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2019, 06:55:51 AM »

Digi-Key has several 100uF 450VDC aluminum electrolytics (snap-in and radial) from which to choose; I just checked their site. Those would likely be the limiting values for your purposes as far as availability. There are more available the lower the voltage. I have bought several recently for restorations that I did of boatanchor transceiver power supplies: Galaxy AC-400 and Tempo AC-One. I have also used Mouser.

For the physically larger caps, I generally use snap-in types. I have done "stuffing" of original cans, and I have done carrier boards that I made from PC board stock that cover up the holes left by removal of large can electrolytics from the chassis.

Some of the exact values for older equipment power supplies will not be available. Use the next highest standard value of capacitance. For example, 40uF may be hard to source, but 47uF are readily available. You can play around with the selection filters on the website. For power supply use, higher ratings for ripple current, life and temperature typically cost more.

Ted, KX4OM
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 07:02:29 AM by KX4OM » Logged
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2019, 09:47:06 AM »

I have been buying for Just Radios for years and been very happy with them.

Have you tested any of them?  For value, ESR, voltage handling? I do every time I make a purchase.

The 630V film caps are likely fine in 200-300V receiver circuits, etc.

Since electrolytics are so small now going up a few sizes may be smart insurance as well as offer extended life from leakage.

Companies such as Mouser have a big incoming QC group to catch garbage and protect their reputation.

Carl

W6SWO

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 08:39:02 PM »

Just bought some from Digikey.  VERY fast shipping and they have everything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: