The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Laptop Recommendation  (Read 124 times)
W1RNY

Ignore
« on: Yesterday at 11:41:31 AM »

I have not purchased a laptop in years.  U build my own PCs but a laptop is another matter.

I want a one for use with SDR and for portable amatuer operations.  Any recommendations would be appreciated
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 01:15:47 PM »

Hi. I recently purchased a rebuilt laptop from Dan, AD8I. He is awesome and the PC looks brand new and works perfect. Windows 10.

refurbish.restore1@sbcglobal.net

ron
N4UE

If you're not the lead sled dog, the view never changes......
G4AON

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Today at 12:06:09 AM »

I recently bought an Asus Vivobook. While it’s a nice laptop with more than enough capabilities for ham use, it has a major drawback... I use a laptop for VHF/UHF contest logging from a hill top, often powering the radio and laptop from a 12V battery. The DC input connector is a tiny barrel type, 4mm outer, 1.35mm inner. None of the usual 12V to 19V laptop power supplies include that size of connector, nor have any of the usual parts suppliers! I ended up buying a mains PSU and swapping the lead. I have a very RF quiet 12V to 19V inverter PSU, I could get a 12V to mains inverter, but that was another potential source of noise and less efficient.

Modern, lightweight laptops with an SSD drive are capable of running up to around 10 hours without a charger connected. However, that figure is very much “marketing” hype, in the real world you can probably squeeze 5 or 6 hours of light use on a charge, maybe 7 if you are very lucky.

I prefer a laptop for contest logging, your use may be different, but battery and power issues might be a problem.

73 Dave
VK6HP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:32:53 AM »

I use a Microsoft Surface Book which I've found has particularly low RFI, both from the machine itself and the power supply.  An otherwise-nice Sony Vaio and Dell Inspiron have been banned from the shack on RFI grounds.  The Surface Book also has excellent battery life.

The downside is that Microsoft support is outrageously bad, compounded by the tactics of the company to which they sub-contract Australian support.  After a couple of years the space-bar of my otherwise pristine PC developed a hairline crack and, rather than sell me a new chiclet (key), Microsoft wanted $800 to swap the machine.  Local support wheeled out a variety of unsavoury characters to defend the indefensible and, while I'm pretty certain their tactics violated Australian consumer law, I'd wasted enough time on them and managed to repair the key with some near-invisible underside splinting and glue. 

So, I would give the notebook itself a very high score for use in the shack but could not recommend the support.  On the other hand, if the need for a quiet PC dominates (as it rather does for me), I have found no better in the Windows or Apple worlds.

73, Peter.
W1RNY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Today at 08:03:17 AM »

How did the RF interference manifest itself?
KX4OM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:16:34 AM »

I recently bought an Asus Vivobook. While it’s a nice laptop with more than enough capabilities for ham use, it has a major drawback... I use a laptop for VHF/UHF contest logging from a hill top, often powering the radio and laptop from a 12V battery. The DC input connector is a tiny barrel type, 4mm outer, 1.35mm inner. None of the usual 12V to 19V laptop power supplies include that size of connector, nor have any of the usual parts suppliers! I ended up buying a mains PSU and swapping the lead. I have a very RF quiet 12V to 19V inverter PSU, I could get a 12V to mains inverter, but that was another potential source of noise and less efficient.

Modern, lightweight laptops with an SSD drive are capable of running up to around 10 hours without a charger connected. However, that figure is very much “marketing” hype, in the real world you can probably squeeze 5 or 6 hours of light use on a charge, maybe 7 if you are very lucky.

I prefer a laptop for contest logging, your use may be different, but battery and power issues might be a problem.

73 Dave

Hi Dave,
Which model VivoBook do you have? I've been looking at the 11.6" ones, and I want to get one that is at least upgradeable form Windows 10S to Windows Home or Pro.

Ted, KX4OM
G4AON

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Today at 11:09:32 AM »

Hi Dave,
Which model VivoBook do you have? I've been looking at the 11.6" ones, and I want to get one that is at least upgradeable form Windows 10S to Windows Home or Pro.

Ted, KX4OM
Hi Ted
It’s a Vivobook S15, 15.6”, i5 processor, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD. It came with Win 10 Home, I upgraded it to Win 10 Pro (cheap key off eBay).
73 Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: