The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need new computer  (Read 1703 times)
N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2019, 02:26:27 PM »

Those are 2 really good suggestions. As far as W7 goes, I have maxed out the memory with 8GB of memory. Seems to me at some point I disabled virtual memory, but I can't find it right now. Something about page filing.

I do notice sometimes it appears that it's the NVidia card that's causing the problem. It's been a while since I've been in the computer and cleaned it.

My C drive is not full. I use it only for Windows system stuff. I keep all my documents stuff on my terabyte F drive. As we speak I'm using 87GB of my 139GB Western Digital drive. But it seems to me in the past it was a lot less, but I have no records.

There's something I've done and I can't remember now, but it prevents the C drive from breaking up files. The C drive is never fragmented.

I'm sorely tempted to do a re-install. There's nothing I can't either get off the internet as far as programs or that I don't have the discs for. And I may get rid of a whole bunch of programs that I hardly or never use. I just know it will probably take lots of hours that is like dead space.

I've heard both ways on W10 and Office 2010, so.....

The only program that may concern me is a very old version of Photoshop, V5.5. but I'm sure if that won't re-install, I can find another picture editor. I've just gotten very used to using it.

I could also just uninstall a lot of programs I really don't use and can get by without and see what happens after a good cleaning. One of these rainy days....

Thanks guys.
OZ8AGB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2019, 02:14:17 AM »

Virtual Memory should not be disabled.

You can set/check it using this guide:
https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/simple-ways-to-increase-your-computers-performace-configuring-the-paging-file/
N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2019, 07:33:40 AM »

Yes, I remember now, that's what I did. I set a predetermined amount of page filing. I'll go through the new info and make sure I have it set up optimally. As I remember it did make a difference when I did it and the fragmentation of my boot drive (C) stopped happening.

I still think one of these days I'll just remove a bunch of programs and clean the innards. If that doesn't help, I'll just do a new clean install of my W7.
OZ8AGB

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2019, 07:44:55 AM »

Regarding an alternative to Photoshop. There is The GIMP which is free, but probably not as advanced as Photoshop.
https://www.gimp.org/
N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2019, 12:22:48 PM »

Thanks, this version of PS I have is pretty old and basic. But once you get used to something it's hard to change. And it seems to work fine for what I need. I have the discs but I seem to have had trouble in the past getting it to install, but it worked on this W7 version.
N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2019, 03:07:26 PM »

I changed the paging file size from 2048MB to 12286MB. It was even recommended on the paging file size. The guy said to use 1.5 times the amount of RAM and since I have 8GB, that makes 12GB paging file size. We'll see what happens. But I still want to clean up things.
N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2019, 07:11:29 AM »

My initial observations after only changing the file page amount is encouraging. Computer seems to be running smoother and quicker. But it may be a panacea effect. Time will tell. The wife is leaving for 10 days so I'll have some days to play.

I don't know where I got the recommendation to set the file paging to 2056MB, but it must have been some old instructions I found somewhere quite a while ago when I first got this computer and was setting it up. I did increase the RAM at some point to max it out.
N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2019, 06:28:56 AM »

After changing the reserved page file to 12MB instead of 2, the computer now runs like it used to and I've only had 1 BSOD since then. I'll still take it apart and give it a good cleaning.
NA4M

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2019, 11:09:47 AM »

The only program that may concern me is a very old version of Photoshop, V5.5. but I'm sure if that won't re-install, I can find another picture editor. I've just gotten very used to using it.

One alternative to Adobe Photoshop is the open source image RAW converter and editor "darktable".  Does most everything PS does except layers and panoramic stitching. Available for Windows, MacOS, and other OS's including several Linux distros.   Numerous YouTube tutorials available.

73 NA4M
W1RNY

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2019, 11:38:55 AM »

I purchase my first IBM clone in 1992 when my best friend talked me into it. He was a chiropractor and suggested I could use it in medicine.  He was right but little did I know that getting into computers would result in a long journey into the world of IT...that it would be necessary to avoid depending upon others.
At this point, I only build my own PCs.  I would never buy one.  I was involved in the Windows 10 insider program but never liked it...so stubborn me, I keep Win 7 images that I have created with the programs that I use and all the tweaks that work for me.  I use both Acronis and Macrium...but at this point I like Macrium best...and the free version works very well.

I highly recommend building you own PC.  It really is not that hard.  You have relatively total control of your PC and can diagnose and replace parts rather than replacing the whole thing.  (However, I have never built a laptop so I cannot address that.)
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: