The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kendwood tl922 and ham radio deluxe not playing well together  (Read 803 times)
KC8KTN

Ignore
« on: August 28, 2019, 09:22:58 PM »

Everytime i try and use my  amplifier with ham radio deluxe it stops working that is ham radio deluxe quits working. I have tried toroid coils on cable between radio and laptop. Any ideas.. Everyone have a Blessed day and be safe. 73s
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 05:43:35 AM »

If the program does not mess up when just running the exciter power and then messes up when the 922 is used, it is a simple case of RF overload.  Most likely "RF in the shack syndrome".  You need to trace down where the RF is getting in to.  What antenna are you using?  Some antennas require a common mode choke especially as you increase the power levels.  You can't overlook any possible way the RF can be getting in.  If your antenna outdoors passes over the shack it could be getting in directly and not thru wiring. 
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 07:21:23 AM »

I am using an o.c.f. windom. The lead in does not go over the shack. There has been times the amp and ham radio deluxe works with no problems. Here lately that has not been the case. Thanks for advice. 73s
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 09:32:54 AM »

Does it work OK with the TL922  running into a dummy load?
AC2RY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 09:37:07 AM »

Everytime i try and use my  amplifier with ham radio deluxe it stops working that is ham radio deluxe quits working. I have tried toroid coils on cable between radio and laptop. Any ideas.. Everyone have a Blessed day and be safe. 73s

Start with running amplifier into dummy load. That will exclude issues with antenna and feed lines RF leaks.
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 10:23:29 AM »

OCF antennas are known for having the feedline radiate so you very well may need a good choke on the coax line mainly close to the feed point.
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 10:50:55 PM »

Ok i will try the dummy load scenario . I will let you all know.. Thanks
KU3X

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 04:33:59 AM »

OCF antennas are known for having the feedline radiate so you very well may need a good choke on the coax line mainly close to the feed point.

So true !
What brand OCF are you using? Some allow a portion of the coax to radiate, worst type to use.
First, a well designed OCF will use a 4 to 1 Guanella current balun at the feed point so the transmission line does not radiate. Even then possible issues can arise. Get a good line isolator and install it where the coax enters your home. Hy Power Antenna Company manufactures well build line isolators.

Ferrite beads on all of your computer wires are band aids. Sometime the band aids work. First address the real issue, and that is Common Mode. After that, then start adding ferrite to all of your leads.

Good luck,
Barry, KU3X
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2019, 06:23:13 AM »

Again thanks . This weekend the dummy load test. I will post results. 73s
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2019, 12:03:23 PM »

So how far is the antenna from the shack in feet?
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2019, 11:26:03 AM »

I found out repositioning/ or how  the cable is laid that leads from the radio to my laptop which my laptop is really close to my radio solves this issue..  Who would have thunk. Thanks to all for your help and advice..73z
MM0IMC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2019, 01:56:07 AM »

I found out repositioning/ or how  the cable is laid that leads from the radio to my laptop which my laptop is really close to my radio solves this issue..  Who would have thunk. Thanks to all for your help and advice..73z

I've wound my laptop cables in ferrite rings because of similar problems in the past. One's the CAT cable going to my Yaesu FT-450AT and the other is the USB to Serial cable PTT for the digimode interface.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2019, 01:53:31 PM »

Never answered the question. How far is the antenna from the ham shack location?
KU3X

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2019, 12:22:41 PM »

You have just confirmed that the problem is RF on the outside of the shield of the coax. Coax is like a water pipe. As long as the water pipe does not leak, you can get as close to it as you like and you won't get wet. The same goes for coax. The RF is suppose to be ONLY on the inside of the shield. You either have common mode that the RF is radiating off of the antenna and then coupling to the shield......or...... your balun is not doing it's job. It could be both. The amount of RF on the outside of the shield depends on how much coupling occurs or how bad the balun is.

Put an RF current probe around the coax and you will know how much RF is on the coax.

Barry
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: