The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (Follow Up)Cant set ALC on ALS600 w/TS570 Kenwood  (Read 4837 times)
K3ASA

Ignore
« on: September 02, 2006, 05:50:18 AM »

I am up to my ass in aligators here with this situation. First, I just got the Ameritron ALS600 back from Ameritron. I sent it in because the xmit light was not coming on. Obviously I had a couple bad cables from the ARB704 interface. I had tried a different one prior to sending it to Ameritron with no results, but the second change made it work.
While the amp was at Ameritron, I had them check my problem with the amp not producing full power. Actually, it would, and still will only produce around 200 watts, even with me feeding 100 watts from the TS570.  Ameritron's reply was that they checked and the amp is working perfectly, FULL POWER ON ALL BANDS.
Step one of setting the ALC is to turn the front control fully clockwise and put RF into the amp to produce at least 400 watts. The amps meter kinda lurches up to around 350 and then settles down to 200 or so. The follow up steps to setting the ALC will not work, as per my previous post. The ALC light stays on with RF applied and the front control fully counterclockwise, no matter where I set the rear ALC control.
I talked with Ameritron yesterday afternoon and they say that I have something wrong, and that maybe the ALC will not set because I am not getting the Amp up near full power prior to going to the next step. Hell, I CANNOT get it up to full power.
I took the amp off line, and put an Autek Research meter between the 570 and the antenna. When I put 100 watts in it, I get 100+ watts on the meter, so its Not the coax from the 570 to the amp. I thought that might have been the problem. I also put the meter between the MFJ 962D tuner that I am using, and the antenna, still around 200 watts out, so its not the meters on the amp, or the tuner. It is only cranking around 200 watts!
The menu switch to use an amp are set correctly on the TS570, so that is not the problem. I am at a loss, unless its maybe the cable from the TS570 to the ARB704? I know its the correct one, its a PNP-7D, per the instructions.
I really need some help/input on this. Hope one of you can help me out. Thanks in advance... 73,  Gene
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 06:13:02 AM »

Gene,

When you have the meter between the tuner and the antenna, have you tried tuning the tuner for max power out on the meter?

73, de Lindy
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 06:20:41 AM »

Oh, and Gene, if you are not using a dummy load, I would try to at least borrow one for testing. Antenna and ground situations can make testing into an antenna with a solid state amp very frustrating!

73, de Lindy
K3ASA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 06:43:21 AM »

Yes, to the tuner question. No help there.  I have also tried it into my dummy load. Pretty darn frustrating all around.  I am starting to think that the two are not compatible.. Ha Ha.....  Gene
WD8PTB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 07:52:43 AM »

two peices of advice: 1. Young hams read this so please use proper language at all times.

2. unplug the ALC and see if you can get full power by gradualy turning up the drive.
   You may have an intermittent problem with the antenna/coax. A dummy load would be best for all these tests.
 Good Luck; Don WD8PTB
K3ASA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 07:59:53 AM »

Before sending the amp to Ameritron, I was trying it without the ALC connected. Same old result.  This is actually one of the reasons I sent it to the Starkville boys.  One of their responses was to set the ALC. which I cannot seem to do, because I cannot get full power out of the amp.  Yes, I am trying it in the dummy load now each time.  73, Gene
WD8PTB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 10:23:38 AM »

Is the exciter cutting back power as you turn it up?   If you can't get full power without the ALC you will not get full power with it. I asume you are using the Ameritron power supply. If possible moniter the power supply voltage as you turn the power up. Don WD8PTB
WD8PTB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 10:29:58 AM »

Try keying the amp manualy. ( a shorted phono plug) instead of using the cable from the radio. Also borrow a dummy load if you can and eliminate everything except the rig, amp and dummy load. (you can get some weird impedences with a tuner and even with a reasonable SWR some amps will not like it.)
N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 11:26:51 AM »

Gene send it back for a refund. it is a MFJ peice and go get a unit from tokyo hy power if you want solid state.
WD8PTB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2006, 12:23:41 PM »

For what it's worth I have the ALS500M. It does not have ALC and works fine. I use a 100 amp hour battery and a 10 amp charger. I get 500+ watts on all bands. I would get more if I used a power supply. ( the battery drops down to 12.6 to 13 volts on SSB If I talk for more than a few seconds.
  Yes Tokyo Hipower has a great amp but it is a few more bucks!  Don WD8PTB
K3ASA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2006, 12:26:45 PM »

Yes, I am using the Ameritron switching power supply that comes with the amp.  I bought this thing a couple months ago from R & L Electronics.  I think I am going to give them a call on Tuesday. 73, Gene
WG7X

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2006, 04:18:38 PM »

Gene,

My first question would be: How are you measuring the power?

It really helps if you are using a good peak-reading meter, otherwise, 600 watts PEP would look like about 200 or less on an average (RMS) reading meter.

Have you tried a 100% duty cycle mode like CW, RTTY, or FM? If you see full power out in one of these modes, you can be fairly certain that your PEP on single sideband is the same.

Can you use the amp without ALC?

Gary WG7X
K3ASA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2006, 04:51:21 PM »

Seems the problem was with the TS570.  I wondered why my signal reports were not so good lately. Darn thing was only putting out about 35 - 40 watts, even when set to 90 or 100. I seldom looked at the meter, I guess. I finally Measured it through an Autek Research meter to a dummy load. What a Dummy I AM!  35 watts just was not enough to drive the amp, I guess. Did a complete Re-Set on the 570, and all seems OK now. Now, I should be able to set the ALC. Thanks to all!  73, Gene
NNN0YFA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 11:22:08 AM »

YOUNG HAMS KNOW MORE CUSS WORDS NOWDAYS THAN MOST ADULTS WHY WOULD YOU CARE THEY AREHAVEING BABIES IN JR HIGH AND THE  ELEMENTARY SCHOOL KIDS ARE SELLING CRACK ON THE STREET AND THE PLAY GROUND AT SCHOOL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: