The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 811H problem  (Read 7970 times)
AK4QA

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2008, 02:18:04 AM »

Thanks, but I dont run RTTY, just use it to tune with, then switch to SSB.

Just thinking also about a small tone generator (2khz out) feed into the mic circuit for SSB tune.

Get fancy and switch it on/off at 30/70 cycle.

Thinking that you would not even have to direct connect, just a small speaker next to mic.

Thoughts anyone?
N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2008, 05:04:42 AM »

Would it not be a lot simpler to just tune it up using CW. Honestly what is the problem doing it that way?
AK4QA

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2008, 07:33:44 AM »

Its not, because I run a studio mic and foot pedal.  I was in a high voltage accident and only have 3 fingers left.

I do not own a key and to use the key in the mic would mean I have to disconnect the studio mice, then connect the hand mic.  With only one hand I would have to juggle the mic to press the small keys on top of the mic, lay it down and adjust the amp from the memory of what I had seen.  Juggle the mic back up, press the buttons, ect....

I sure you get the picture.  As now I switch to RTTY, press the foot switch and adjust.

But thanks for asking, I truly do wish it was that simple.

I've found a device call 'Mr. pecker' that I can afford as a kit and I'm going to see if I can get someone to build it for me as the PT class I goto is not really set up for soldering.

thanks everybody for your advice, guidance and insight it has been a great help.

73 to all

Lee
KE4VYN

N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2008, 01:05:30 PM »

Sorry to hear about your accident Lee Sadly i have 2 freinds that i worked with when i was a millwright that had the same accidents. I am sure it has changed every thing for you.

One last suggestion then i will drop it. But could you have a freind wire up another foot switch for you to plug into your key jack? I all most bet if you told Bob Heil about this idea he be willing to even set you up at a really fair cost. I would even  make it for you if i had a foot switch.

Ok thats all i leave you alone i just trying to make it easy for you was all. Jeff
AK4QA

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2008, 01:25:40 PM »

Jeff,
No problem and hate to hear about your friends also.  Burns are a never ending issue and nobody should ever have to go thru it.  

Thanks for your help and I will take your advice and give it a shot.  

Its been a long road and I still travel it.  I do my best to keep a good attitude about everything because it is very easy not to.  

I've always been a worker bee and being retired at 45 stinks.  Radio keeps me busy and the friends that I have made... well I wouldn't trade that for anything.

I think that is one of our biggest pluses to radio, the way we band together to help.  Whether its a weather net, a antenna raising or just a good old hamfest its a great place to come and bring the family.

Take care,

Lee
KE4VYN

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2008, 05:01:06 PM »

I am curious about folks having problems keying up in CW mode to tune an amp.

My TS-570, TS-430 and both DX-70's key up in CW mode when I switch to that mode and press the foot switch. They do the same thing when I switch to CW mode and key the mike.

What am I missing, that I can do this and others seem not to be able to? I do not have a key plugged into the key jack, though. Is this the difference.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2008, 05:37:47 AM »

Hello Lon i think the word is Icom. My 746 was same way. It needed  to have the key jack grounded to key in the cw mode.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2008, 07:23:41 AM »

<< Hello Lon i think the word is Icom. >>

Ohhhhh ...

I don't speak Icom. Smiley

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
AK4QA

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2008, 11:47:58 PM »

I went and got another foot pedal and plugged it into the jack on back, set it up in the menus.
I have to press both pedals to transmit a cw tone!  haha

Now when someone wants to take my rig for a 'drive', they gota know what pedals!

hahaha
K4DPK

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2008, 05:01:53 PM »

Lee....

Getting back for a minute to the question of whether you have one bad tube.....

After tuning up, if you key-down just long enough, you might see three of the tubes showing color (red) on the plates, and the other one still black.  If you do, it means that those three are doing the work, while the one without plate redness isn't.

While that isn't necessarily conclusive proof that it's that tubes' fault it isn't conducting as well (could be tube socket or loose connection) it is doggone indicative of a soft tube.

Phil C. Sr.
k4dpk
W5PVR

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2008, 11:41:40 AM »

Sounds like one tube is not being driven. Knowing MFJ, if that amp was mine I would take the covers off, discharge the caps and examine every connection in it very carefully.
Bob
KD8GEH

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2008, 01:10:44 PM »

Sounds like a sour tube and/or popped grid resistor to me as well. Check the 100 ohm limit resistor from tube grid. There are 4 of them, one for each tube mounted on terminal strips to the left of the tubes (front). I believe older models had them mouted at the tube. I had similar issue, retubed and replaced the resistors (one showed open). Works great now. Drop me an email if I can be of further assistance.  73 DE: Dave KD8GEH (kd8geh at arrl dot net)
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: