The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC-9100 -- adequate mic gain for dynamic mic?  (Read 8983 times)
VA7CPC

Ignore
« on: February 08, 2014, 01:11:06 PM »

Has anyone tried to use a dynamic mic (e.g. a Heil (anything except iCM) or Shure SM58) on an IC-9100 ?

. . . Is there enough mic gain, without using the compressor?

We're prepping for an ISS contact, and are thinking about sound quality -- we'll be filling the school gym, and maybe broadcasting beyond that.

Thanks --

.         Charles

PS -- I was surprised that the IC-9100, in spite of its $3000 price, doesn't have an FM modulation meter.  The manual suggests setting the MIC GAIN by having someone listen to your signal over-the-air. 
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 06:39:04 AM »

What I have noticed is that the hand mics that come with the radios these days, come with an electret element that offer sufficient mic gain. I found out that my Heil GM5 got as good reports and the hand mic that came with the FT-950.

The ICM was really made for the older pre pro series radios. It was my understanding from Heil, that you could use their dynamic mics on anything after the pro series.
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 10:02:58 AM »

I use a Heil BM-10iC headset with an iC electret (not dynamic) element. Typically I set the mic gain to just under 50% (about 10-11 o'clock on the control). Should be no problem to use a dynamic, but you might end up maxing out the mic gain control. 
K3LRH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 01:11:34 PM »

......Charles, doesn't that 9100 come with a hand mic?  It seems that might be a good choice for the students to use when contacting the ISS.  Rugged, designed for the rig, etc.  After all, the astronauts use hand mics too  Smiley

VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 10:43:46 PM »

......Charles, doesn't that 9100 come with a hand mic?  It seems that might be a good choice for the students to use when contacting the ISS.  Rugged, designed for the rig, etc.  After all, the astronauts use hand mics too  Smiley

Yes, that might be best.  Two issues:

1.  The student isn't going to handle the hand mic -- too much chance for screw-ups, according to Those Who Know.

2.  A dynamic mic (and adapter box) will give us an audio feed into the school's PA system, without using the IC-9100 "Monitor" function.

I haven't really tested the IC-9100 hand mic for audio quality.  Soon, soon, . . .

.       Charles
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 05:11:40 AM »

Keep things simple.
Use the mic that came with the radio.  Plan on feeding the receive audio into the PA system.  If you want the transmit audio also, take it off an HT that is tuned to the transmit frequency, and input it to the PA with a mixer box... you will be able to control the levels better that way.  And plan around balanced inputs and impedances to eliminate ground hum type issues.  And test beforehand... air time will be limited.
73s.

-Mike.
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 06:30:04 AM »

. . .  If you want the transmit audio also, take it off an HT that is tuned to the transmit frequency, and input it to the PA with a mixer box... you will be able to control the levels better that way.  And plan around balanced inputs and impedances to eliminate ground hum type issues. . . .

Good idea!   Thank you --

.         Charles
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 06:09:40 AM »

Before I upgraded I had a lot of people complain about my audio quality, using the stock hand mic. In my area, at least, the consensus is that the Icom HM-36 mic is a dud.
W8BC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 03:51:32 PM »

You might want to join the Yahoo group devoted to the 9100 to see what others have done.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ic9100/info

I have a 9100 but have only used the hand mike so far. Many folks on the Yahoo group report excellent results with the Heil PR-781, which is a dynamic cardioid microphone.

Bill
W8BC
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 09:30:33 AM »

You might want to join the Yahoo group devoted to the 9100 to see what others have done.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ic9100/info

I have a 9100 but have only used the hand mike so far. Many folks on the Yahoo group report excellent results with the Heil PR-781, which is a dynamic cardioid microphone.

Bill
W8BC

If it works with an IC-781, it'll work with a Shure SM58.  Thank you!

And thanks for the "join the IC-9100 group" suggestion.  Sometimes the most obvious answer gets overlooked by my old, overworked, filled-up brain.

.         Charles
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: