The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TV Recommendation  (Read 675 times)
KG6AMW

Ignore
« on: May 25, 2002, 09:07:29 PM »

Well, my TV is about at the end of its life, so its off to the store to purchase a new TV.  I will of course review consumer reports and ask lots of questions.  But, do you have any recommendations and/or experience with TVs that are somewhat resistant to TVI (television interference).  I understand, it will be my responsibility to put on a high pass filter and common mode choaks.  

Thanks, Merrill
KG6AMW
KA0W

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2002, 12:02:06 AM »

In February my wife and I purchased a 53" Hitachi high definition widescreen (HD53UWX10B) and as of May 26th we have not had one instance of audio or video TVI in neither broadcast nor dish reception. I run near legal limit on 40M and 80M CW using a elevated coax fed quarterwave vertical and a 600 ohm open wire fed 80M dipole at 60'. The North end of dipole runs up over the tv room. The shack and the tv room are adjacent to each other. I use no added low pass filter on the amp and the open wire feeders run right in the shack to the balanced tuner.
VA2DV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2002, 12:03:24 AM »

I am using a PROSCAN PS-123 (29" high end by RCA)
with great sucess.Seems quite well built against interference.My vertical is maybe 15' from the
tv set and no problems at all.I cannot tell you the same thing from my Yamaha sound system on the same place !
Good luck !
Dave VA2DV
KC9AZL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2002, 03:35:35 PM »

Also check to make sure it does not produce QRN on the ham bands.
K3ANG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2002, 01:23:15 PM »

Just live without a TV.  Unless you've got kids.
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2002, 06:36:19 PM »

Consider this: almost all TVs made today use a switching power supply that's "on" all the time so the TV is warmed up and will respond to the remote control.  Guess what? - the TV manufacturers really aren't concerned about the noise generated by these power supplies, and they can cause SUBSTANTIAL HF interference.  I have a 36" RCA which generates broadband white noise that is S7  on 20 through 10.  Much of the noise signal is being radiated through the cabinet (the switching supply is unshielded!!), but a good portion is also radiated by the various signal and power leads.  I found that using the Radio Shack split cores on the AC power and audio-in leads reduced the problem somewhat, but the real answer was a remote controlled on/off unit.  I took my portable SW receiver to the dealership and found that all the new sets have the same problem, although Sony and Toshiba were considerably better than the RCA.  I'm stuck with the RCA for now, but would never buy another for this reason.
KG6AMW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2002, 09:46:57 AM »

Thanks to all for their comments.  I purchased a Sony that seems to be working well.  I put in a Tripplite surge protection device for the TV (that replaced a Waber SL) and between the two, I no longer interfer with the TV. The TV does produce a little hash on 20 meters, but not bad.  73, Merrill
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: