The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS-930 opportunity ??  (Read 765 times)
K4KBL

Ignore
« on: December 03, 2002, 08:11:28 PM »

Advice please...  I can purchase a TS-930 for a good price.  The rig work fine but was purchased in 4/83 by the current and original owner.  No mods ever done as far as I know.  

1.  Is it worth buying this one time top rig that is now nearly 20 years old ??

2.  Will Kenwood work on the rig to calibrate and add the new bands (can be done) to transmit section ??

3.  Should I put my money in a newer rig and be done with it ??

Thanks,
Jerry - K4KBL
AC5E

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2002, 09:41:50 PM »

Well, if it's cheap enough - almost anything is an opportunity. Lots of folks are like me - I will trade my jaybird for your turkey. If your turkey is fat.

Of course, you will be inundated with "I had a TS930 and it was the greatest rig there ever was" type comments.

But the ARRL labs tests of the '930 indicate performance about on par with a TenTec Jupiter;  with (as best I remember) 8 memories instead of 100, and  without many of the amenities such as continuously variable recieve and transmit bandwidth, band scope, and the other modern amenities and innovations that make really modern rigs much more stable and pleasant to operate.

Personally, if I were looking for a user I would keep on looking.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E
KE3V

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2002, 10:08:03 PM »

Hi Jerry,
I'm sure you'll hear lots of opinions and gather loads of good information in response to your post. The decision will ultimately be up to you though.
I can only offer opinions (advice?) from the  experience I've had with my own TS-930s/AT.
I bought the rig second-hand back around 1987-88 when it was probably nearly 5 yrs old.
I first used a 930 at Field Day and was really impressed by the receiver (compared to my TS-520s). So, when I saw this one for sale, I snapped it up. I think I paid around $1,100 for it then. I'd considered a new TS-440s for about the same money but it was like comparing a new econobox to a slightly used Caddy.
The 930 hasn't so much as burped during the time I've owned it. -knock wood. It's never seen rough service either.
I used it fairly heavily during contests, etc. at first but now I'm a very casual user. The rig may sit powered off for months at a time but always powers up and is ready to play when I want to use it.
As far as Kenwood's service: My only contact with them was to order a crystal for my 520s back in 1985 or-so. I got the part right away. I haven't read many good reports on the web about their service dept though. People complain about long turn-around times , etc. Given the chance, people will complain about anything though.
In-short, Mine's been a fine rig. Yes, the rig is nearly 20 yrs old and I suppose it could crap out any day now. Then again, so could a brand new rig.
If you trust the seller, have actually tried the rig (and it works Ok), the price is right, and you never plan to take it mobile, you'll probably be very happy with the 930.

Good luck & 73,

Kevin, KE3V
W8ENG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2002, 10:09:43 PM »

I recently upgraded to general.  due to budget restrictions a new rig was not an option.  After much research, and checking used quipment lisitngs at several sources i bought a used TS-930.  

I don't know if kenwood will still service these rigs, but thier are many independant shops that will.  Transmit on other bands is an easy modification, mine is open from just below 160 to over 10 meters.

A big advantage of this rig to me is that almost everything that can be adjusted is controlled by a knob on the front panel.  

I have an ICOM IC-207 2m/440 rig in my car that I like but I hate having to scroll through multpile layers of menus to change a setting.  

Other advantages of the 930 are an intergel power supply, which saved money in my case.  I also get excellent signal and audio reports with this radio.

Although I have very little to compare this radio to, I am very hapy with it as a first rig, and have no plans to upgrade after using it for two months.

Mike, W8ENG  
JAMES_BENEDICT_EX_N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2002, 08:59:09 AM »

I wish I knew the price of this TS-930S. The TS-940S was a far superior product compared to a TS-930S. Thus, I would not offer over $400 for a real clean TS-930S. If you could find the dollars, the TS-570DG is available used for approximately $700. The TS-570DG is far superior to a TS-930S and it is newer plus reliable!
KA1YPK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2002, 09:40:02 AM »

Hi,
I owned my 930S for about a 1 1/2 yrs. I paid $600 for it and they are still worth $600 for good late serial# ones today. It was the top of line radio back then and still compares with the later rigs of today. Never had a problem with mine,great recieve and great transmit audio. The heat at the transformer bothered me and i put an external fan on the back to keep it cool. A well built 40 lb radio! I sold mine and my 830S 2 weeks ago to buy a TS570SG. With the $ from the sales i had more than enough to buy new! All the big guys are having great sales right now. The 930 is very old and parts are no longer available. If it breaks the cost to repair will easily exceed the purchase cost,that along with the good deals going on right now prompted me to sell. I never bought new but with the $200 off i had to buy the TS570SG.
Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: