The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 meter amp for 6 meters  (Read 9590 times)
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 11:00:24 AM »

Lou,

How many watts CW would it do on 6 meters and what was the drive power and grid current?
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 10:29:53 PM »

The amount of output power obtained by my SB-220 conversions is based on a few main factors if you want to split hairs.  First and formost, how good are the tubes?  We'll assume  they are 100% full output for this situation.  Secondly, what is your line voltage?  I happen to have good line voltage (like 245 volts) and how stiff is that line?  Thirdly, does your exciter put out a full 100 watts on 6 meters?  Lets assume it does.  Based on these facts you will drive it with a full 100 watts, you'll see about 900 mills of plate current and about 350 mills of grid current.
Output power will be close to 1400 watts.  SInce I have done hundreds of these and therefore have experienced hundreds of tubes and amplifiers, occasionally one is exceptional and goes beyond that figure.  The key is efficiency and that is obtainable by design.  Lou
NI4Z

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 06:41:53 PM »

When you did your Google on Lunar Amplifiers I strongly suspect you ended up on the K1FO Lunar Link site.  Lunar (nothing else) manufactured solid state VHF amplifiers in the 1980s.  I owned a 6 meter Lunar which was 10 watts in 120 watts out.  It would not help your cause since you already have 100 watts.  Tokyo Hy-Power offers a 6 meter tube type amplifier which runs a pair of 4CX-250 ceramic tubes.  You might wish to do a search for that amplifier.  Cushcraft has a five element yagi that is not a great deal longer than the three element.  You may want to investigate that.

de NI4Z
N8WWM

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2008, 10:40:09 AM »

Regarding the 5 element CushCraft 6 meter beam: It is better as a 4 element. A 12 foot boom for a 5 element yagi on 6 is nowhere near optimum. I consider even 18 ft to be a bit short for a five element.

On the upside, that leaves you an extra element as a starting point for a groundplane or vertical dipole for FM Smiley

73 Doug N8WWM
50 mHz VUCC 1373
KE7FCK

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2008, 06:22:01 PM »

I, too, would like a little more power on 6m. Well, that's a lie.  I want a LOT more power, at least have it available instead of the 10w I have on my Alinco.

I found this scratch built amp that would do it.

http://www.realhamradio.com/GS35B_Amp_Page.htm

I know it's not a factory 10m amp, but a scratch built, but hey.

I'm also interested in a 300w or so amp for when legal limit isn't required, and a 10m amp comversion would be great.

I know CBs have been converted to 10m and 6m.  They have amplifiers ikn them right?  even if it's only 4w out.  SOme conversion had to be done.  On a larger scale I would think a 10m would be similar.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: